Top Cap Socket FOX 34 Float Step Cast

CommandoStyle

I want to play around with adding volume spacers in my new FOX 34 Float w/ the Fit 4 damper. Does anyone know what size top cap socket I need? Thanks.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
dont do this, the top cap is so thin you will just tear up the flats, buy the correct size socket, my regular fox 34 is 26mm socket, remember it needs to be a chamferless socket, or you need a grinder to make it chamferless . . .

Actually those Knipex pliers are pretty awesome. They are designed where the flats are parallel to each other, and if used properly then tighten when turning.

All the travelling team pro mechanics use them. I switched to them in my work toolbox.

ebarker9

Actually those Knipex pliers are pretty awesome. They are designed where the flats are parallel to each other, and if used properly then tighten when turning.

All the travelling team pro mechanics use them. I switched to them in my work toolbox.

Yup. Regular pliers, absolutely not. But the Knipex ones reportedly work really well for this purpose. And potentially saves from having to have a socket for every single top cap that you might ever own.

ebarker9

I actually don't own them but pretty much every good mechanic who has used them seems to swear by them. So I'll probably make the investment.

ebarker9

I wound up using vise grips.

Makes me cringe but I suspect that a lot of us have done it in a pinch. It's worth getting the correct tool for the future though...Park, Fox, Unior, Push, Abbey, etc all sell chamferless sockets that will work well. You might also be able to track down a low profile 26mm wrench, which might be a little cheaper and still work fine.

CommandoStyle

Makes me cringe but I suspect that a lot of us have done it in a pinch. It's worth getting the correct tool for the future though...Park, Fox, Unior, Push, Abbey, etc all sell chamferless sockets that will work well. You might also be able to track down a low profile 26mm wrench, which might be a little cheaper and still work fine.
Joking...I had every intention of buying the specific socket but I wasn't sure what size until reading the manual more closely. I have a 26mm park on the way. Those Knipex wrenches look pretty cool though! Thanks!

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
I have one of those sockets from Fox along with those funky tools that pull the shafts out for the fork. I don't trust my adjustable wrench operating skills on nut so thin.

Top Bottom