Too much carbon paste on seatpost?

Zudnik

Bike is only about 1 month old but I've had the same problem on the stock OEM Cube post and now on the 31.6 125mm Rock Shox AXS Reverb I just put in. Problem is the post will not stay up and it has too much lateral movement. It's stamped 6kn from the factory and I used my torque wrench to tighten it and recently borrowed one thinking maybe mine was out of calibration. Now I'll admit I'm a huge elephant but it drops over time and the side to side thing happens when I'm in the technical areas when I'm moving around. It drives me crazy.

With the OEM post I didn't use any carbon paste but I did the other night when I put in the new dropper. Possible I put too much on or any other thoughts?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I guess it's possible to have too much and the grit isn't making contact, but also unlikely since most of it would come out since the tolerances don't exactly leave a large gap between the post and frame. Is it some kind of cheapo frame?

serviceguy

I guess it's possible to have too much and the grit isn't making contact, but also unlikely since most of it would come out since the tolerances don't exactly leave a large gap between the post and frame. Is it some kind of cheapo frame?
I would think the second would make sense, if the plastic beads don't make it in between the post and the seat tube it's like giving the post a lube. I don't believe I used any paste on my mukluk carbon.

GTCHAMPION1

Bike is only about 1 month old but I've had the same problem on the stock OEM Cube post and now on the 31.6 125mm Rock Shox AXS Reverb I just put in. Problem is the post will not stay up and it has too much lateral movement. It's stamped 6kn from the factory and I used my torque wrench to tighten it and recently borrowed one thinking maybe mine was out of calibration. Now I'll admit I'm a huge elephant but it drops over time and the side to side thing happens when I'm in the technical areas when I'm moving around. It drives me crazy.

With the OEM post I didn't use any carbon paste but I did the other night when I put in the new dropper. Possible I put too much on or any other thoughts?
Torque to collar to no more than, 4Nm on the reverb post, I noticed mine was still going up and down at 5Nm but I was feeling some binding. Also you have air in the system from which you can remove temporarily by flipping your bike upside down with the post extended all the way(make sure is all the way), let it sit like that for a couple of minutes to let the air flow to the bottom of the post while you have the bike upside down, then compress the post, leave the bike again like that for another 2 min, then flip the bike back on its wheels, and with the rear wheel sitting on a couple of books or a 2x4 or on the curb, wait about a minute and then extend the post and it should work fine for a few weeks or until you get it service. Now Sram sells an inexpensive tool to remove the air temporarily without doing all this but you have to remove the seat every time you use the tool.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring

Toss in garbage and buy a cable actuated PNW. That should take care of all your problems. ;)

Top Bottom