To Singlespeed or Not Singlespeed...that is the question....but on the ROAD!!!

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
So I can't make up my mind...

Some of you know I recently won a ROAD bike. My initial thoughts of course were that I could start hitting the road during the week and improve my fitness for mountain biking.

But of course nothing is simple....now some of my buddies are throwing the idea around that I should sell it and get a singlespeed for the ROAD. :hmmm:

They keep pushing me to join them on 1 or 2 centuries like the NYC one in Sept. They all ride a SS. 2 of them own the Van Dessel CRB . http://www.vandesselsports.com/crb.php?bike=9
I also saw this bike at Allwood Cycles..(thru the window...for some reason everytime I try to go there, they are closed)
http://www.feltracing.com/08/product.asp?catid=1504,1525&pid=8718

I already had a 26SS and now I am really enjoying my 29er SS in the mountain.

So...is SS on the ROAD a good idea?
There is no way I am becoming a Roadie :p

Anybody want a Cannondale Road bike?? If you decide before the end of the day you can still pick the size and color. :)

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I have only been riding road bikes for about 4 months and I can't see a SS for general use. Maybe if you ride Urban areas a lot and want to do the fixie deal, but the road varies soo much and a ss would be quite a commitment.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would vote gears but I suspect Zoller has his mind made up and nothing anyone says will make a difference. He's just looking for people to start piling on with:

* Buy a 29er
* Buy a SS
* Sell your 26" bike
* And so on

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Are your buddies riding SS or fixed? This is really a big difference.

I'd say stick with the gears first.

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I would vote gears but I suspect Zoller has his mind made up and nothing anyone says will make a difference. He's just looking for people to start piling on with:

* Buy a 29er
* Buy a SS
* Sell your 26" bike
* And so on

:rofl: But I already have the 29er SS

I do have an old Schwinn Moab that I want to get rid of

Are your buddies riding SS or fixed? This is really a big difference.

I'd say stick with the gears first.

the CRB has the flip/flop hub or whatever is called, so you can do fixie

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
SS/Fixed for road is fine if you're in NYC, but as soon as you hit hills, it absolutely sucks. I've ridden past a number of fixed riders in NYC pushing their bikes up over the bridges, because they're geared for the flats and can't pedal that gear up the climbs. Every time I see that it makes me want to scream.

Don't be that guy...

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
having been riding on the road, really riding, for a year, i don't see any benefit at all to training on an SS. maybe to mix it up.

going to get beer, OTOH, different story. shifting can only cause you to drop your can or bottle. no bueno.

BiknBen

I don't see any reason to sell what you have. It can be turned into a SS very easily. Just add your choice of chain tensioner and strip all the derailleurs/cables, etc. Going fixed is a whole different story and would require a different frame.

I've ridden both SS and fixed on the road. If you are in a flat(ish) area I don't see why not. OTOH, if you encounter hills or even rolling terrain, you had better get ready to suffer.

Ben (waiting for someone to ask for clarification of Fixed vs. SS)

walter

Fourth Party
I have been looking for a long time at a SS for the road, and Jake and I were talking about this at the shop the other day. I have been looking at the Langster, the Capo, the one from Felt and pretty much anyone else who makes one. I would say it would be fun as an alternate for road riding, but for true roadie riding, stick with gears.

Maurice

Why are you even asking?

You know you want another (couple) bike(s). Get the geared bike for serious riding, and an IRO or Bianchi pista to show off. Hell, who's going to complain even if you get that Van Dessel?

;)

J-Dro

But of course nothing is simple....now some of my buddies are throwing the idea around that I should sell it and get a singlespeed for the ROAD. :hmmm:

Sounds like you need some new buddies. :D

I have a buddy who owns an IRO SS for the road. It can be setup as a fixie or SS by flipping the wheel around. He really struggles on the hills, although he won't admit it. It seems to me that these bikes are for the guys who just have to be different for the sake of being different. Like jbogner said, if you are primarily riding urban, then it makes sense.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Go with gears.

Get a white idustries eno based rear wheel and you will have both w/o too much hassle.

This is the best option.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have a buddy who owns an IRO SS for the road. He really struggles on the hills, although he won't admit it.

Ouch. The bike still sounds like it could be fun. If you don't like the road it at least makes things a little more interesting. I said ss'ing was stupid about 5 yrs. ago, once I tried it, I changed my opinion.

J-Dro

Ouch. The bike still sounds like it could be fun. If you don't like the road it at least makes things a little more interesting. I said ss'ing was stupid about 5 yrs. ago, once I tried it, I changed my opinion.

No ouch intended. I'm not saying that the bike can't be fun on the right terrain. Just saying that going on a road ride that includes hills can be punishing. YMMV.

Glancing Aft

If I still lived in an urban environment I would be wrapped up in the hipster fixie scene, but I do not, so I ride geared. If you're only going to be riding the bike in the city SS will treat you fine, but as others have said, as soon as you get it into the burbs, or the day you decide to go out into the country with it, you will hate your life.

Wazu

SS on the trail rocks. You'll get sick of it quickly on the road. If your friends jump off a bridge I'd suggest against that too. Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Top Bottom