to fixie or not to fixie?

warcricket

Like a Jerk
http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/25989

i'm not a fixie guy - SS yes, fixie no... and i do like brakes.

does that mean i'm a more on the left or right of center of the bike world?

i'm gonna say that if you wanna run brakes, don't get a fixie. the sheer fear of going down a hill is what makes it fun. with a brake, there's absolutely no difference between it and a ss once ur moving.

and definitely take it off road. six mile is perfect for no freewheel. the trail goes from fun to super swell with no brakes.

THATmanMANNY

Fix it up, baby!

You'd be surprised how well no brakes actually works on a fixie. I got to spend a few days on one in a city. Stop and go traffic. I didn't have a problem. Gotta anticipate what's going to happen and prepare how to react. Lean over the bars and SKID! :D
Fixie is a great training bike! PLUS, you get more kudos for no brakes.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Between 2006 and 2007 I put almost 20,000 miles on a Bianchi Pista. I used it to commute to work until I started working at High Gear. I ran a front brake on it because I have a wife and 2 kids to get home to, and I don't trust NJ drivers and/or my ability to control a skidding bike when a car cuts you off. I also ran a traditional road bar instead of a track bar just so the hoods were more comfortable. I would like to get another fixie albeit the idea of desending Washington Rock Road onto Rt22 scares me a lot more than the thought of climbing that same hill:hmmm:

And, I would NEVER think about riding one off-road, I'm not nearly that coordinated:rofl:

-Jim.

warcricket

Like a Jerk
I would like to get another fixie albeit the idea of desending Washington Rock Road onto Rt22 scares me a lot more than the thought of climbing that same hill:hmmm:

i'm still toying with how the hell to get down vossler lane with out flying into rt 22... probably gonna end up jamming the foot into the back wheel to save myself... bye bye shoe soles!

ArmyOfNone

Im still getting comfortable on the fixie. Havent spent much time of late on it. But if your asking whether or not to fix it??? Fix it!

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
i'm still toying with how the hell to get down vossler lane with out flying into rt 22... probably gonna end up jamming the foot into the back wheel to save myself... bye bye shoe soles!

Take Gilbride over to Chimney Rock Road, that'll at least have plenty of flat run-off before you get to Rt22.

-Jim.

N

NickPro

Love my fixie! Track bars, no brakes, tight pants, and a messenger bag. Hipster? Maybe, maybe not. It's a fun ride.

BiknBen

article said:
Within the danger, though, lies the beauty of fixed-gear riding. On the thin edge of control there comes a calmness. The pedals whisper what you never realized was there: The tiny rocks and cracks, the slightest hills and sandy patches. A whole new road stretches out begging to tell you its secrets.
This portion of the article is what I remember most about riding "Fixed"

A well tuned fixie is absolutely silent. All you hear is the rubber against pavement. It brings out the calmness. The other thing I enjoyed was the feeling of oneness with the machine. Once up to speed the momentum of the wheels keep you going. You become truely connected to the bike. It really is a strnge feeling you don't get it until you ride it and relax.

Fixed...anything else is just broken. :cool:

Last edited:

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
i love riding fixed, I have a second set of wheels for my SS cross bike with road tires and a fixed cog instead of a freewheel, and i jsut bought a track frame on ebay so i dont have to keep changing wheels.

but is sure is fun...i think that is one of my main reasons to ride fixed..its just so fun, plain and simple.

as for handlebars, i prefer the bullhorns, but mtb risers are more comfortable for city riding

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
since I have a flip flop on my shogun, I will try fixie over the winter at some point but will probably run brakes. In all reality I just want to pedal backwards in circles so after I learn that, I will go back to a freewheel

Spylab

I use my fixed as a commuter 90% of the time. I have taken a few recreational rides, but the gearing is horrible on the uphills. I consider myself far from a 'hipster,' and actually bought the bike because of the price, lack of a derailleur to screw with on an everyday bike, and because I thought it came with a freewheel. Didn't feel like going out and buying a new hub or wheelset, so I just adapted. I have always and will always run a front brake. Even the late Sheldon Brown frowned upon brakeless fixed gears on the road due to the eventual knee damage. I don't know where everyone is from around here, but in my neck of the woods (Roxbury), zigging and zagging across highways and through some of these intersections is downright dangerous, and had I taken the front brake off I can guarantee at least ten times I would have definitely gotten creamed by a careless driver. It's a fun ride, completely impractical and ridiculous, but it also keeps me from slacking off and coasting too much.

New to fixie... fun but still a little scary... I personally will NEVER lose the brakes, even though I understand the lure (ie fun) of at least trying to not use brakes, which I do as much as I can... but I'm 50 years old and value my safety too much.... (Beside, when cyclo-stud Jim V says HE uses a backup brake, I'll follow his advice for sure).

One thing I noticed is how slow you can go (ie at a virtual crawl) and have complete control... and the quietness and simplicity of it is downright soothing.... I feel like I want to just "tool around" my neighborhood on my fixie... For me, though it's still difficult for the brain to get used to ALWAYS pedalling, adjusting from 45 years of pedal and glide, pedal and glide... especially on turns, dismounts and bunny-hopping?... fogettaboutit... too much skill required for me.

Anyone who can ride a fixie like the vid JDawg sent, though is truly livin the joy of fixie riding... I don't aspire to experience it quite like that, but I'm at least thankful I can ride the local roads and really enjoy myself... try it... you'll like it, or it'll scare the sh*t outta you....

Peace,
BB

BiknBen

...there's absolutely no difference between it and a ss once ur moving.

Except the weighted flywheel effect you get when riding fixed. Once a fixed wheel gets up to speed the rider can often feel that it is easier to continue riding. You have the momentum of the bike going forward but also the momentum of the rear wheel turning the cranks.

Once up to speed, it feels easier to pedal the bike. IMO, That is the magic of riding fixed. You don't get that riding any SS or geared bike.

Having a brake doesn't kill the experience. It just provides some insurance so you don't kill yourself. :hmmm:

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Having a brake doesn't kill the experience. It just provides some insurance so you don't kill yourself. :hmmm:

Most people don't realize that just because you have brakes on the bikes, doesn't mean you have to use them. Most people will react to a danger situation by pulling the brakes so it would take awhile to reprogram the brain.

Top Bottom