to fixie or not to fixie?

I won't go so far to call Fixie MTB riding crazy but it would certainly be awkward for me. Some may not realize how often they stop pedaling; Around turns, over obstacles, etc.

I suspect I'd throw myself over the bars of my bike within a few minutes. :confused:

I remember nearly killing myself when I attempted to bunny hop something on the road fixie. I went to level my pedals and hop. Instead, the pedals jerked me forward as I went to hop. I think I ended up taking the stem in the chest. :cry:

Last edited:
it will most likely be a painful experience, but i just want to TRY it...it seems like it could be alot of fun

doesn't warcricket ride his fixie at 6 mile?

I think the fixie thing offroad is just silly for me. One of my favorite things is to charge corners and cruise around them. I really think it is one of the coolest feelings and a fixie just makes that not possible. Also, think about how many times you actually 1/4 and 1/2 crank, even at smooth places like 6 mile.

As a trail builder and maintainer, I do NOT like fixed, brakeless mountain bikes. Check out the internet vids of guys riding fixed brakeless on trails, and you'll see them skidding all over the place to slow down. While that's fine on pavement, that's murder on natural surface trails.

If you're going to ride fixed offroad, please use brakes. The trails, and other trail users, thank you for it.

ben's right, besides for the whole ss thing, hills seem to be easier on a fix.

offroad is just a fun way to spice up the trails.

your bikes are broken, now go fix 'em.

As a trail builder and maintainer, I do NOT like fixed, brakeless mountain bikes. Check out the internet vids of guys riding fixed brakeless on trails, and you'll see them skidding all over the place to slow down. While that's fine on pavement, that's murder on natural surface trails.

If you're going to ride fixed offroad, please use brakes. The trails, and other trail users, thank you for it.

you would have to be an idiot to go brakeless offroad, and on road for that matter

omg, the sound at the end made me cringe...
is he running a smaller wheel up front?

I went back and listened again. That sounds like spokes or him dingin the rim on the ground. The components were definitely not intended for his use. ;)

Highly advise brakes. First of all, 80%+ of your braking power potential comes from your front wheel due to simple physics (weight transfers forward as you stop). Even if you could lean over the bars while going 35 mph on a downhill while pedalling at some ungodly rpm, do you really thing you could (a) skid and (b) control such skid? Sure, you can find videos of guys doing this in San Francisco - good luck. I literally can't even see straight while doing such speeds on a fixie.

Off road just doesn't sound like much fun. As others have stated, most of my fun comes from trying to nail corners as fast as I possibly can. Cornering on a fixie is akward on the road, can only imagine on the trails.

Off road just doesn't sound like much fun. As others have stated, most of my fun comes from trying to nail corners as fast as I possibly can. Cornering on a fixie is akward on the road, can only imagine on the trails.

the fun comes from the fact that an easy trail becomes exponentially more difficult, this of course doesn't apply if you use brakes.

I saw a guy racing in the Cross race yesterday with a fixie. He had a front wheel with a avid disc up front.

I was noting his dismounts and run ups as his pedals were still moving.

This added some more challenge for sure.

Most likely because I'm an out of shape/overweight and a little bit from riding dirt jumps too much over the years but I try to pedal as least I can off-road. Railing corners just right sand pumping where ever you can so you carry good speed and flow makes riding trail fun for me.

I don't see any draw to off-road fixed gear biking. Anyone who wishes to try and state their case, meet me at the top of The Wall at Mahlon this weekend and we'll chit chat a little after we get to the bottom...

I don't see any draw to off-road fixed gear biking. Anyone who wishes to try and state their case, meet me at the top of The Wall at Mahlon this weekend and we'll chit chat a little after we get to the bottom...

It's all about the challenge, like down hill unicycling or hitting a 20' drop or doing 60mph down Skyline. Everything's not for everyone, btw my fixie project bike is completed going to Kitt for the first attempt.

Back
Top Bottom