Tires:

Shaggz

A strong 7
I know this has been brought up before, but what tires are you guys running? I'm looking to replace a set of Panarace Fire XC Pro's, 2.1s, tubed. Was thinking about a 2.3 front/ 2.1 back. Was considering another set of the Fire XCs or a Ramapage up front and Fire XC back.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i really like my schwalbe fat alberts. i didn't buck up for the expensive set b/c spending $100 on tires i didn't know if i was going to like seemed stupid. now, however, i would spend it. they are 2.3 (or 2.5, can't remember) and i can run them at less than 40 psi (usually around 35-37)...which for me is awesome. i was also really impressed with the WTBs that were on bob w's surly that i test rode at kvsp. they didn't look like much and i thought for sure i would be sliding all over the place but they held...at it was WET.

i like my panaracers, but at 2.1 i've pinch flatted them four times (three with heythorp who loves to remind me i still owe him a tube) so they're going to go buh-bye on ebay. besides, they'll do me now good when i convert the hardrock into a true urban dirt assult machine!!

Shaggz

A strong 7
bonefishjake said:
was also really impressed with the WTBs...i thought for sure i would be sliding all over the place but they held...at it was WET.

Do you remember which wtbs they were?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Find the tires thread I started, then find any set on there which you can get for the lowest number of $$. IMO.

I currently run Cinders and they're fine but not as grippy as the stock Specialized Adrenalines that came with the bike.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Yeah - I was just looking at that, and saw that you never gave your review of the cinders. I want to research the Maxxis that Maurice posted about. Definitely staying away from the Nevgals.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Kirt loves the Nevegals. I'll give them a shot sometime next year. I may toss them on a Christmas list. As many have said, tires are highly personal. So really you gotta run through some money before you find the ones you like.

Shaggz

A strong 7
i know it's a personal choice, but d@mnit, i hate the thought of dropping coin to find something new. i have heard a lot of good things about the nevgal, but they have a short tread life. the ignitors seem like a good option, and the rampage has gotten great reviews on dry and loose, but wet and muddy seem to be not-so-hot.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The rampage has gotten good reviews for a lot of west coast stuff, but not so much east coast stuff, which is why I passed.

Short tread life is often what makes a tire grippy. It sucks to drop that kind of coin so often. But then, I probably spend more money on beer every month than I do on tires every year.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Shaggz said:
Do you remember which wtbs they were?

pretty sure they were exiwolfs. i can't say for sure if it was the tire or the 29er though.

as for tread, i'm guessing you (shagzz) could run the schwalbes at a much lower psi than i have to. i'd put the treads on those thing up against damn near anything. the expensive version must just rock.

ytc100

Shaggz said:
i know it's a personal choice, but d@mnit, i hate the thought of dropping coin to find something new. i have heard a lot of good things about the nevgal, but they have a short tread life. the ignitors seem like a good option, and the rampage has gotten great reviews on dry and loose, but wet and muddy seem to be not-so-hot.

My front nevegal dtc 2.1 has around 1000 miles on it and still looks very good. I had a problem with my rear sidewall ripping but from what their web site says they have increased the sidewall strength. I like these tires a lot (very good cornering and feel) but to be fair I have only the wtb wierwolf 2.3 (great traction, good cornering) and the panaracer firexc pro 2.1 (good traction, cheap) to compare them too.

S

Stan LeCupp

I like the nevegals too although I too have had trouble with the sidewall tearing. I really like the way these tires corner. I may try something new next time just because I like trying new stuff:)

anrothar

entirely thrilled
jake, i've got the exiwolf's on my 29 and love em. take that with a grain of salt though, because i have yet to try any other 29er tire.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
anrothar said:
jake, i've got the exiwolf's on my 29 and love em. take that with a grain of salt though, because i have yet to try any other 29er tire.

when i build my 29er in a couple months that's what i'll go with for sure. i was really impressed.

ytc100

Shaggz said:
scott: what did you replace your rear with?

I still run the nevegal up front, panaracer in the rear. Been doing that for awhile and will probably continue seeing as how I have one new nevegal and a couple new panaracers still floating around.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
According to the Kenda rep, the Nevegal rear is ramped in reverse to what may be expected for rear direction. This is to assist in stopping power. I have noticed it really does help stopping when I ride my SS, which has rim brakes. These days with disc's, stopping nay not be a big issue anymore.

I have also noticed that the rear Nevi does not hook up in wet conditions as well as the Hutchinsons. Trade off I guess. I may try swapping the direction in the rear to test it out in wet conditions some time. Problem is, I have to do it when my husband is not around as he thinks I'm a "tire whore", and starts rolling his eyes and all. :rolleyes:

A woman can never have too many tires :D

Top Bottom