Tires:

Shaggz

A strong 7
I know this has been brought up before, but what tires are you guys running? I'm looking to replace a set of Panarace Fire XC Pro's, 2.1s, tubed. Was thinking about a 2.3 front/ 2.1 back. Was considering another set of the Fire XCs or a Ramapage up front and Fire XC back.

i really like my schwalbe fat alberts. i didn't buck up for the expensive set b/c spending $100 on tires i didn't know if i was going to like seemed stupid. now, however, i would spend it. they are 2.3 (or 2.5, can't remember) and i can run them at less than 40 psi (usually around 35-37)...which for me is awesome. i was also really impressed with the WTBs that were on bob w's surly that i test rode at kvsp. they didn't look like much and i thought for sure i would be sliding all over the place but they held...at it was WET.

i like my panaracers, but at 2.1 i've pinch flatted them four times (three with heythorp who loves to remind me i still owe him a tube) so they're going to go buh-bye on ebay. besides, they'll do me now good when i convert the hardrock into a true urban dirt assult machine!!

bonefishjake said:
was also really impressed with the WTBs...i thought for sure i would be sliding all over the place but they held...at it was WET.

Do you remember which wtbs they were?

Find the tires thread I started, then find any set on there which you can get for the lowest number of $$. IMO.

I currently run Cinders and they're fine but not as grippy as the stock Specialized Adrenalines that came with the bike.

Yeah - I was just looking at that, and saw that you never gave your review of the cinders. I want to research the Maxxis that Maurice posted about. Definitely staying away from the Nevgals.

Kirt loves the Nevegals. I'll give them a shot sometime next year. I may toss them on a Christmas list. As many have said, tires are highly personal. So really you gotta run through some money before you find the ones you like.

i know it's a personal choice, but d@mnit, i hate the thought of dropping coin to find something new. i have heard a lot of good things about the nevgal, but they have a short tread life. the ignitors seem like a good option, and the rampage has gotten great reviews on dry and loose, but wet and muddy seem to be not-so-hot.

The rampage has gotten good reviews for a lot of west coast stuff, but not so much east coast stuff, which is why I passed.

Short tread life is often what makes a tire grippy. It sucks to drop that kind of coin so often. But then, I probably spend more money on beer every month than I do on tires every year.

Shaggz said:
Do you remember which wtbs they were?

pretty sure they were exiwolfs. i can't say for sure if it was the tire or the 29er though.

as for tread, i'm guessing you (shagzz) could run the schwalbes at a much lower psi than i have to. i'd put the treads on those thing up against damn near anything. the expensive version must just rock.

Shaggz said:
i know it's a personal choice, but d@mnit, i hate the thought of dropping coin to find something new. i have heard a lot of good things about the nevgal, but they have a short tread life. the ignitors seem like a good option, and the rampage has gotten great reviews on dry and loose, but wet and muddy seem to be not-so-hot.

My front nevegal dtc 2.1 has around 1000 miles on it and still looks very good. I had a problem with my rear sidewall ripping but from what their web site says they have increased the sidewall strength. I like these tires a lot (very good cornering and feel) but to be fair I have only the wtb wierwolf 2.3 (great traction, good cornering) and the panaracer firexc pro 2.1 (good traction, cheap) to compare them too.

I like the nevegals too although I too have had trouble with the sidewall tearing. I really like the way these tires corner. I may try something new next time just because I like trying new stuff:)

jake, i've got the exiwolf's on my 29 and love em. take that with a grain of salt though, because i have yet to try any other 29er tire.

anrothar said:
jake, i've got the exiwolf's on my 29 and love em. take that with a grain of salt though, because i have yet to try any other 29er tire.

when i build my 29er in a couple months that's what i'll go with for sure. i was really impressed.

Shaggz said:
scott: what did you replace your rear with?

I still run the nevegal up front, panaracer in the rear. Been doing that for awhile and will probably continue seeing as how I have one new nevegal and a couple new panaracers still floating around.

According to the Kenda rep, the Nevegal rear is ramped in reverse to what may be expected for rear direction. This is to assist in stopping power. I have noticed it really does help stopping when I ride my SS, which has rim brakes. These days with disc's, stopping nay not be a big issue anymore.

I have also noticed that the rear Nevi does not hook up in wet conditions as well as the Hutchinsons. Trade off I guess. I may try swapping the direction in the rear to test it out in wet conditions some time. Problem is, I have to do it when my husband is not around as he thinks I'm a "tire whore", and starts rolling his eyes and all. :rolleyes:

A woman can never have too many tires :D

Back
Top Bottom