Tires weeping

rick81721

Lothar
Haven't ridden the horsethief in months but just noticed significant seepage of stans on both tires. Are these tires - especially this one:

20190803_091553.jpg

Toast?

20190803_091601.jpg

Or are these just tears from neglect?

qclabrat

Are the weeps from the rubber side down? I've noticed sitting wheels end up with Stans separating and the clear liquid from the result likes to seep. If the rubber is still supple, I'd think it's fine. That's why I like to spin sitting wheels from time to time if they are tubeless.

rick81721

Lothar
Are the weeps from the rubber side down? I've noticed sitting wheel end up with Stans separating and the clear liquid from the result likes to seep. If the rubber is still supple, I'd think it's fine. That's why I spin sitting wheels from time to time if they are tubeless.

No opposite - rubber side up

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Tears of neglect for sure!

@rick81721 those look like nobby nic tread pattern, i had the same thing with the old set that were on my fuel before i replaced them. It didnt hurt anything and i lived with it for 9-12 months before i tore a couple of the tread blocks off and replaced them. as long as the tires are still holding air i wouldnt worry.

rick81721

Lothar
Tears of neglect for sure!

@rick81721 those look like nobby nic tread pattern, i had the same thing with the old set that were on my fuel before i replaced them. It didnt hurt anything and i lived with it for 9-12 months before i tore a couple of the tread blocks off and replaced them. as long as the tires are still holding air i wouldnt worry.

Ok well these are the wheels you can demo so if the tires blow up - you were forewarned!

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
It depends...
Are those 27.5? If so... they are fine.
If those are 29er... they are toast along with the wheels. I'll take them off your hands for pennies on the dollar.

Last edited:

Dingo

Maxxis Rekon's 27.5 + on one rig, one weeps one does not.

The other rig is 29'er has had at least a dozen various tires over the past decade. Some weep when new some when old and some never, or had a early demise and now RIP in a landfill.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ride your bike more, they'll weep less. When I still rode bicycles, my tires were fine on my main bike. Weeping on tubeless bikes that either sat around or on wheels I had hanging.

Xler8

Had several tires from different brands weep (no tears or punctures). All of which were warranted. Contact the MFG and see if they’ll make good on their product.

mbruno

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Not only do mine weep, but in the summer, they get colonized by some crazy mold. I think these are continentals.
1565033363206.png

Top Bottom