Tires of Choice for 2009?

xc62701

I'm thinking ahead to this coming year and I decided I was going to race on a new tire on my 29'er. I'll be on Schwalbe Racing Ralphs and on the 26'er I'll be on the usual Kenda Karmas. Is anybody trying anything new this year?

The Kalmyk

Racing Ralphs are great but have thin sidewalls. I had a rip on the side of mine and ended up puting a boot on it. It lasted all summer. Super fast racey combo would be RR up front and Small block rear.

J-Dro

I'm going to try Conti's Rubber Queens. With a name that stupid, the tires gotta be good. :rolleyes:

Not a race tire though.

kush

I like the Ralphs a lot. But yes, the sidewall is thin. Three rides and I have a good surface rip. Though that was from Sourlands. .

I've just tried the Mtn Kings 2.4, and those are absolutely awesome in the snow.

BiknBen

have not considered the Schwables. i may take a look at em. till then I'm going with the pythons.

Shwalbes have often been pretty high priced. I'm not saying they are not worth it. Just don't be surprised when you see the price.

xc62701

Yea they were definitely high priced that's why I asked Santa for em - and he delivered!

Mike679

WTB Weirwolves - 2.3 on front, 2.1 on rear. Had Panaracers for the last couple of years that held up well. Have a tendency to destroy sidewalls and have had good luck w/ WTBs in the past so I figured I'd go that route again this year.

ArmyOfNone

I'm going to try Conti's Rubber Queens. With a name that stupid, the tires gotta be good. :rolleyes:

Not a race tire though.

Crap! Another tire I was looking to try was the race king. If Ben's comments are accurate, this seems like a more likely choice.

R

Roger De Vlaeminck (RDV)

Bontrager

I like the Pythons but for the 29er I am goign to look at the Jones 29, Mud and XDX. I want a 1.8 or smaller than 2.0 It has been a while since I rode a mountain bike and I thought the new tires on the Paragon were 2.5s or bigger, they looked huge after staring at my cross tires for so long.
I have been geeking out on the tire issue and debating what to use for the northeast racing.
I have read a lot of good things on the Kenda Karmas.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
For racing, Ardent 2.25 front, Crossmark rear on chunky courses or Crossmark front/back on smooth/fast courses.

29er of course.

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
I've been a fan of the Fast Traks for years. The tire has yes to let me down. I've raced them two years in the muddiest conditions at Nationals without a problem, along with hard pack tire conditions.

I can't think of a better tire. That said - I haven't tried a different tire in a while. However, why try something else when you're perfectly satisfied with it? :D

Here's a picture of the pattern for those who aren't familiar.

Attachments

• 2183_3833237640008304359_8192_n.jpg
    2183_3833237640008304359_8192_n.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 113

jimjo

i rode the kenda blue grooves for a while with stans
loved them great fast rolling all around tire for anything but thick mud

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Is anybody trying anything new this year?
I've been running the Python's during the off-season and have been very impressed with them so far. I however may not be the best source for tire recommendations as it would seem whichever tires I have on my bike have no effect on my speed and/or handling. I just went with the Python's because they're 200 grams lighter per tire than the Bontys:hmmm:

-Jim

ArmyOfNone

For racing, Ardent 2.25 front, Crossmark rear on chunky courses or Crossmark front/back on smooth/fast courses.

29er of course.

Ardent is great for everything EXCEPT bone dry conditions. Even then its good but a bit unpredictable at times.

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
I've been using the michelin dry2's all year and I absolutely love them. They are a fair weight, fair price, and work good in everything but mud.

I have some race king supersonics on the way and I am really interested to see how these perform. Jeff- the rubber queens are a sweet tire, kinda like a nevegal but a little burlier. They are super popular in europe from what I hear.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I like the Pythons but for the 29er I am goign to look at the Jones 29, Mud and XDX. I want a 1.8 or smaller than 2.0

I've ridden all the skinny Bontys. I'll let your borrow any of them if you'd like. There is a new tire coming out called the XR1 that looks like a faster version of the XDX...

-Jim.

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Shwalbes have often been pretty high priced. I'm not saying they are not worth it. Just don't be surprised when you see the price.

I roll with Schwalbe Nobby Nic tubeless. Don't think I will buy them again though. Thin sidewalls and got totally chewed up after only a few months. Not very durable.
These are WAY to expensive for such a short lifespan!

I'm glad this thread came up because I'm ready to try something new.

-Eric

Last edited:

warcricket

Like a Jerk
I roll with Schwalbe Nobby Nic tubeless. Don't think I will buy them again though. Thin sidewalls and got totally chewed up after only a few months. Not very durable.
These are WAY to expensive for such a short lifespan!

I'm glad this thread came up because I'm ready to try something new.

-Eric

your avatars are my favorite :)

Top Bottom