Jason

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Manufacturer: Kenda
Product: Nevegal 2.1 UST
How Long Used: 2 Days
Similar Products Used: Nokian NBX 2.1 Tubeless
Overall Rating [1-10]: 9

Positive: Excellent loose gravel and dirt performance. Spin very well on hard packed dirt and road surfaces. I'm not slipping while climbing loose gravel fire road and I'm cornering much better.

Negative: Somewhat hard to located

Comments: This is going to be an on going review as I put more miles on these tires.

Jason

JORBA.ORG
Day 3:

Went to Hartshorne today anticipating sand and very loose conditions and the tires performed better then I imagined. Sand pits at the bottom of long down hills, climbs in loose dirt/sand/gravel, sketchy turns and these tires didn't even hiccup!

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
hey jason...

i tried the nevegals (1.9s) out at allamuchy. when dry they hooked up well.

when it started pouring, they went to hell. slipping like crazy in rock gardens worse than other tires woulda that i've owned (like specialized pros and panaracer fire xcs). maybe the 2.1s are better.

so i flipped the tread around (opposite to the direction arrow on the sidewall) and they work better. go figure...

the jury is still out on these tires for me. let us know how you like them in wet conditions. i may have to try the 2.1s for a better and true comparison.

Jason

JORBA.ORG
I've been to Deer Park and Tourne lately and the tires are still performing very well. I'm really loving how they handle the gravel fire road! I'm also finding that they are holding pressure MUCH longer then my last tires. I typically ride at 40lbs. and after a week of sitting they were at 36lbs. I would expect them to be around 15-20lbs.

Still no wet conditions to test them in. But I guess that's a good thing. :D

B

bdpeter

cool, my nevgals are in transit as we speak. I'm looking forward to mounting them and hitting the trails.

Not losing air is a good thing. feels like every other day I'm adding air to the High Rollers. :evil:

Jason

JORBA.ORG
Finally got some wet conditions to try them out in. I'm actually extremely surprised at how well I was able to climb wet rocks. We hit Deer Park after a week of rain and most of the hills turned into rapids. Ran through them like it was nobody's business. Hit a few sections of deep mud and hammered through like I was on rails. I expected it to get a bit wish washy but they pulled through strong. Very happy with these tires!

mergs

Spokompton's Finest
JORBA.ORG
Jason said:
Finally got some wet conditions to try them out in. I'm actually extremely surprised at how well I was able to climb wet rocks. We hit Deer Park after a week of rain and most of the hills turned into rapids. Ran through them like it was nobody's business. Hit a few sections of deep mud and hammered through like I was on rails. I expected it to get a bit wish washy but they pulled through strong. Very happy with these tires!

I will def try the 2.1s next time. Thanks a lot for the report Jason!

Jason

JORBA.ORG
Leaves!!!!! They suck! I was slipping around a bit today but still managed to climb with minimal slippage. I mainly ran into problems on descents with loose soil covered by leaves and loose rocks with leave cover.

de00304

I was running non-ust Nevegal's with Stan's. Overall I would say I was pleased. They hooked up well, but often packed up with mud.

However, I went through a bunch of them as I kept cutting the sidewall in a way that Stan's could not patch, so I stopped buying them as replacements and switched off to different tires (currently trying Tioga).

I agree they are hard to find, particularly the 2.1 size.

Jason

JORBA.ORG
These tires are getting pretty worn down and no longer hookup like they did. I wish I did a better job of logging miles on these because it doesn't seem as though they lasted very long.

Overall I had a pleasant experience with these tires and I'm actually having a hard time deciding if I should get another pair or try something new for shits and giggles.

Jason

JORBA.ORG
They're done! Went for a 13 mile ride with Steve yesterday and I must have hit a rock just right to ruin the sidewall. The tire started to swell in one part. I didn't notice it too much on the trails but on pavement it was pretty bad. By the time I got home, the tire swelled to the size of a baseball and looked like it was going to pop. Can't really complain because I got a lot of miles out of these but I really didn't expect the sidewall to fail. :(

Top Bottom