Tire Pressure.

Neilism

I Owe Norm $10
So this must have come up before at some point and resulted in at least 3 pages of replies...if so just point me to that thread.

Curious to know what those of you who tweak things according to conditions/trails advise in terms of pressure.... I currently ride 29" Geax Saguaros tubeless.

Im interested to get opinions on front vs rear pressure.
Pressure when riding on packed dirt vs. sandy trails.
and finally how you all tune your pressure to dry vs. wet conditions...

I generally keep things set up the same at all times..about 26psi front and rear...this has worked fine for me thus far, but Im looking to make things a little more complicated.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I run thsoe same tires on the SS, 24 PSI both front/rear.

Norm, I got the same tires on my niner also tubeless...
How much do you weigh, if you dont mind my asking... ?

BiknBen

In general, you should always use as low an air pressure as you can. At low pressure, the tires act like suspension soaking up small undulations in the terrain. The tire will deform over these obstacles instead of bouncing off them. This keeps the tire in contact with the ground more and therefore provides more traction.

How low is too low? If you feel the tire getting squirmy in turns or bottoming out when you hit obstacles, the pressure is too low. The riders technique, rider weight, trail conditions, and tire type will all play a role in choosing a pressure.

Using this model, no two people will use the same tire pressure. Many people, will notice over time that a certain pressure is acceptable for the majority of their riding and just go with it. Some error on too much pressure, once on the trail, they will let air out based on what they encounter on that day.

ArmyOfNone

This past sunday I used the same air pressure that I used at tymor. Mainly bc I didnt put air in my tires since tymor. It worked out well. I still dont know how much air is in em.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i squeeze the tire. if it feels too soft, i put more air in. i run tubes, so i'll have a higher PSI i guess - but i usually pump up to 30 - 35ish.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Im looking to make things a little more complicated.

ah, you've come to the right place then my friend. here, have some :popcorn:

i run absurdly high pressures...35 front, 37 rear. tubes. i tried playing with lower numbers and got two consecutive flats. i really need to get this tubeless thing going on. or drop 15 lbs. probably both.

lmckee

If I run anything under 35psi I burp air like crazy. I also weigh 250 and ride pretty aggressively for a fat guy.:D

Neilism

I Owe Norm $10
I run thsoe same tires on the SS, 24 PSI both front/rear.

I guess this makes sense, i put a bit more in them but weigh about 195.

Suprised to hear no one varies pressure from front to rear. Well in anycase thanks for the input folks. :)

phathucker

with my dh bike i run low air pres, but with xc i have never understood this. Most xc tires say to inflate atleast 30psi

i want my suspension to soak up the bumps not my tire. A harder tire or higher psi will roll faster. And remember what big trucks use? Lower air pressure will float over mud, higher harder psi sinks and plows through it

so heres where i knock on wood, ive never gotten a flat on an xc bike. Ive come home and put my bike away to find out a slow leak, but never popped one on a trail....

i think lower air pressures are more liklikly to give u trouble.

i runclose to yv in both tires

one piece crank

I've been running tubed DH tires and just give it the bounce test before each ride. Saturday I couldn't remember when I last pumped them up, so out came the pump to check - only 10psi/front and 12psi/rear!

What's really funny is that I'm 220lbs and they never flatted. They would compress a bit more than normal if I caught a ledge or retaining wall, but overall they rode great.

Tom P.

Top Bottom