Tire Pairing

Shaggz

A strong 7
I have a set of 26 in. Maxxis Ignitors, and have been pretty happy with them so far. However, the rear tire is wearing at a much faster rate than the front. I don't want to replace both with a different set, and am not sure if I want to go with another full set of Ignitors. I think Sean said the Ignitor Fr/Rampage Rr is a good 29 combo. Any other thoughts?

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
I don't think too much of it....with the panaracers xc fire I can use them front or back, I just change the rotation and I usually go thru 2 "rears" with the same front. I also use them on any condition and I just had learn to adjust and adapt to the changing conditions without changing tires.

ArmyOfNone

Thats a pretty good combo there...I think J might be able to chime in w/ a few more. Hes tried just about everything out there.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i've changed my mind about the ignitor in the rear. for mahlon/ringwood/allamuchy, places like that, the sidewalls just cut way too easily out back. had the seams burst on a slash on my rear ignitor, that was switched, in perfect condition, from the front on friday night before the 24 hrs o mooch. blew all the air out of my tube in about two seconds. they're excellent tires for just about everywhere else, but all those big sharp rocks just go right through these things.

i'm going to get some wtb tires for the back. they seem to be pretty damned tough. moto or nanoraptor. or i might try the bontrager tubeless ready tires, as they should have more durable sidewalls than their standard set.

S

Stan LeCupp

I have the ignitors ust version. I tear sidewalls and sideknobs a lot, these have held up really well. Maybe the UST version has tougher sidewalls?

Shaggz - my rear tire is wearing down fast. I like it more as a rear tire than front. My plan is to demote to front tire to the back and buy another tire for the front. I really liked the Kenda blue groove on the front but it wasn't the most durable tire. I think I'm going to try a Specailized Resolution 2.1 ust up front and see how I like that. I'm quite happy with the ignitors I just like to try out new something different.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i'm sure the ust version has tougher sidewalls, they usually do. if only they made a ust ignitor in a 29" version.....

Shaggz

A strong 7
There is always the option of rotating the tires if they are not F/F specific.
i was thinking of that, but not sure if i want to do a set of them again. having the same sidewall tear issues on the rear.

I think I'm going to try a Specailized Resolution 2.1 ust up front and see how I like that. I'm quite happy with the ignitors I just like to try out new something different.
i feel the same way. i think norm is a proponent of the resolutions, as well.

SpartaBard

i was thinking of that, but not sure if i want to do a set of them again. having the same sidewall tear issues on the rear.

i feel the same way. i think norm is a proponent of the resolutions, as well.

I am very happy with my Specialized Fast Track, they have an S-works version that is a bit lighter too.

Eileen

I have a fast track up front and the s-works captain tire in the back. My bike came with the fast tracks, but I tore through the rear one. I was really happy with them up until then. The s-works tire is really nice and grippy.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
Some suck less..

I have been riding the 29er Ignitor as a rear with the Panaracer Rampage up front on my geared bike all season.

I did put a good slash in the rear while I was poaching the 24 hr race last weekend.

My report is that all tires suck and they will all rip when you are at the farthest possible point from the car. In the shop I have seen EVERY tire fail. Nearly always they are in like new condition and they ripped open.

UST tires will hold up better since the sidewalls are double thick to make them air tight.

Bontrager makes some Tubeless ready tires that are tougher than non tubeless and even though I am not a Trek dealer i do like the concept.

Fred uses UST tires with tubes and has great luck since the tire are way tougher than they need to be. He also found them used on the floor in the back of the shop so the price was right.

In general most tires work better as a front or a rear but I have found that some work well or don't work at all for either wheel. Your best bet is to try for yourself and play with options.

In two weeks I will be at the dirt Demo at Interbike. I will ride at least 20 bikes in 2 days and I will certainly be trying some new tires. Unfortunately it will be desert riding so the testing will be in non-jersey type soil.

j

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My report is that all tires suck and they will all rip when you are at the farthest possible point from the car. In the shop I have seen EVERY tire fail. Nearly always they are in like new condition and they ripped open.

I agree with this.

Steve, you asked me why I kept giving those Blue Grooves another chance and I think this is why. It was just a series of lousy circumstances. They've now gone almost 60 miles with no issue, which was in start contrast to the first 60 miles with 8 (or whatever) flats.

The more expensive the tire, it seems the thinner the sidewall. If you run low PSI you're probably better with a cheap tire. The cheaper version of Resolutions have a thicker sidewall, never flatted with them this year.

Seems like you need to ride a tire 200 miles at least to give it a fair assessment?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I have been riding a specialized roll-x 2-bliss on the rear for awhile now with no problems, the resolution looks super nice too.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
on my 26" fuel i run WTB velicoraptors. i really like these tires alot in the DNA flavor. the only time i have been slipping out is when i'm in the wrong gear going up hill trying to muscle over something that i should be spinning. i also liked the panaracer fire xc which are now being put to use by sparta brad on his SS. those things were pretty grippy. the only tires i really didn't like so much were the schwalbe fat alberts due to weight and wear issues.

on the lovely ms. mary i've been running the panaracer rampages for, oh, five months or so? the success i've had with these tires (other than a couple very isolated mud clearing issues) has been so good that i can't see running anything else on that bike or any future 29er...unless of course i get it for free :D. i have literally lost traction ONCE going up hill on some sketchy leaves that i had no business having traction on anyway.

Last edited:

Maurice

Some tires suck more...

But a lot has to do with riding style and preferences. Not that there's anything wrong with 29" wheels.

I've been lucky with Maxxis tires, but I only run the tubeless kind. The ignitors sure grip extremely well in all circumstances, although they don't roll as well as crossmarks for instance. The crossmark would however make a good all-around rear tire as it has surprising forward grip (won't slip out in climbs, as opposed to washing out while cornering).

I do rotate my tires regularly, so that they more or less wear out evenly. In the end I keep the most worn on the rear, as front tire grip is way more important; eventually the rear tire always fails catastrophically.
That is what I would do if I were you: run the current setup a bit more then buy a good front tire. At worst you could just get a new ignitor, no need to replace the set like on cars.

Maurice

D

DANSPANK

I've got resolution pros on my stead. They did take a little breaking-in but are just about perfect now (probably about 50-60 miles in). They have a tubeless (2bliss) version for a few more spondoolicks.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
exiwolf rear rampage front worked really well for me all weekend. nice and comfy, plenty of traction. just don't put the exiwolf on the front....

Top Bottom