Tire help

Po123

Ruined my rear tire today while riding rocky xc trails. I had kenda small block 829x2.21 set up tubless also I ride a hard tail 29er. So the question is what to replace it with and should I go wider. Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thanks Pete

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Too many good options out there to pick just one. Wide is good. Wider front than rear is good. I've been using Maxxis tires for a while now and love them. Had Ardents in the 2.25" all around, now have a Minion DHF 3C 2.5" front. Waiting for a Minion DHR for the rear.

All comes down to ride style and the size you can fit in your rear triangle. I don't race (yet) so performance and grip outweigh the weight savings of narrower tires.

Here's a recent article out of Enduro Mag to glance over too. http://enduro-mtb.com/en/back-issue-group-test-6-enduro-race-tires/

njmark

Professional Cyclist
I have a Geax Seguaro front, WTB Trail Boss rear and they have served me well at Six Mile and Chimney Rock. I know others have poo pooed the Seguaros but they have been a good front tire for me.

MikeP

Continentals have never let me down. On my hardtail I have 2.4/2.2 Mtn king combo and a 2.2 front/rear combo on the Jet 9. Thinking of trying a x-king on the rear of the Niner. Has good luck with a Maxxis Ignitor as a rear tire too. All set up tubeless.

Po123

Rock slice thru side wall. Ended up getting a good deal on a maxxis ikon but ended up with 2.35 width Little wider than I was planing but for $45 couldn't pass up

Blair

Rock slice thru side wall. Ended up getting a good deal on a maxxis ikon but ended up with 2.35 width Little wider than I was planing but for $45 couldn't pass up

Get the extra sidewall protection. Most brands have a version with it. They last much longer.

HenryK

Continentals have never let me down. On my hardtail I have 2.4/2.2 Mtn king combo and a 2.2 front/rear combo on the Jet 9. Thinking of trying a x-king on the rear of the Niner. Has good luck with a Maxxis Ignitor as a rear tire too. All set up tubeless.

I'm in the same boat looking for new tires for 29er hardtail. Considering the Conti combo listed above, or possibly a 2.4 ardent front w an ikon rear. Any comments suggestions wb appreciated. currently running 2.2 Saguaros, just looking for a change.

Intermidiate level rider mostly riding 6 Mile run, Chimney Rock, etc for the most part. Know it's been covered before but any input is appreciated.

Thanks

HenryK

I'm in a similar boat looking for new tires for 29er hardtail. Considering the Continental combo listed above (maybe xKings), or possibly a 2.4 Ardent front w an Ikon rear. Any comments suggestions wb appreciated. currently running 2.2 Saguaros, looking for a change. Budget is an issue, not looking to spend 120+ on tires

Intermediate level mostly riding 6 Mile run, Chimney Rock, etc for the most part. Know it's been covered before but any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Po123

I have had the maxxis ikon 29x2.35 run tubeless on for about a week with three rides on it 1 at Ralph stover high rocks, 1 at Salisbury in Bethlehem and a local loop by my house, the first 2 are pretty rocky, and so far it is great good traction and holding up well to the rocks

pat_the_cat

I liked them on my buddy's Pivot Less but never rode them full time. Yesterday was third ride I had on them, first one this season. This climb:

Has me convinced. They handled the snow and ice with no issues. I made climbed and rode down rock faces that we iced over in a crunchy layer. Completely shocked me.

Top Bottom