Tire Combo Thread

This year I have used for my bronson and tallboy: DHF/DHR, DHF/Aggressor, Assagi/dissector....I cant say I had any issues with any combination.

I cant say for sure, but to me...it seems like with the cush core, the side knobs wear out considerably faster....worth it, but I did go thru a mountain of tires this year. 0 flats, but wore out quite a few.

i run magic mary up front and hans dampf rear, i find that i go through rear tires quite quickly (500ish miles) no flats yet, but wear out damn quick.

on the hardtail i have xr4s front and rear, they wear much longer, or maybe i just ride that bike less brutishly, wtf knows.

i also have a set of wheels set up knobby nic f/r which works fine, but doesnt have the grip of the mary/dampf combo.

and a set of wheels setup with maxxis rekons f/r which are basically useless unless the ground is firm and dry.

Downhill: Assegai/DHR2 F/R
Trail: Assegai/DHR2 F/R (EXO+, 3C, MaxxGrip, TR, etc etc)

Trying the Assegai, coming from a DHF, after reading the Blister review:

So far, so good. All of these tires have so much grip that I find it pretty hard to discern the slight differences in casing, knob design/spacing, etc.

Ran DHF/DHR2 Exo last year and went to a Rekon rear (Alternating DHF/DHR2 in the front) this year. Not a huge fan for our trails of the Rekon rear. Techy climbs are where it suffers and the tire gets loose plenty in corners which isn't my preference. Rolling resistance was awesome though.

Next year I'm running:

DHF or Assegai front
DHR2 or Aggressor Rear

Hoping the Aggressor is the happy medium trail tire for the rear between DHR2 and Rekon. Also returning to all black tires....wish Maxxis had more tan walls but with the limited options I'm going back.

Swapped out the DHRII/DHF 2.6 combo for a Rekon 2.6 F&R this summer. Did not like it much, did work well at CR but less so at Ringwood, so I'm going back to the old combo soon, plenty of thread left anyway. I had them on one El Mariachi, it was worth a try.

I'd have to look at my bikes. For sure they are black and made of a rubber-like material.

rock.png

I finally looked at my NJ bikes - Horsethief has Hans Dampf (ridiculous name btw) front and rear. Tallboy has Minion DHF front and DHR II rear.

Currently enjoying Assegai front and Aggressor Rear.

I also very much like Nobby Nics F&R on my other bike.
I have Nobby NIc on the front of my hardtail, Hans Dampf out back. How do you like having NN on F&R?

My Enduro has Magic Mary up front, Hans Dampf out back. When that wears out I will be swapping in a Big Betty I have waiting. Both bikes have Tannus inserts.

Ah, I have more tire combos than riding hours under my belt. Literally. They all all share the same setup though, one up front and the other on the rear...I have to golike that because I can't wheelie nor manual. Lame. I know. Just went back to DHF/DHRII from Rekon/Rekon which I am not a big fan of. Also like the Vittoria Metzcal combo I ride on my SS a lot. HuDu/HuDu on the fat bike because @Jimvreeland said so...huge!

Back
Top Bottom