Tire combinations for rocky North Jersey

Mr.Moto

Anyone have any experience with these...

I have them on my Bucksaw. 27.5 x 3.0. Not a lot of riding on them, but I do like them for the area I ride (North Jersey). Not the fastest tire as you can imagine from the name, but a good overall tire for rocks, roots and wet conditions in my opinion.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I prefer aspens on dry rocks. Lots of rubber to grip. I don’t like big knobs on rocks. Waywayanda I prefer a tire with less grip in the rear so it skates through the rocks and a grippier one up front. Rocks basically like lots of rubber so low pressure with i serts is key. Always tubeless always exo always maxxis.

goldsbar

Have the DHF on the rear and it does seem bulletproof. Cornering grip is great as is grip in the loose stuff. This tire loves leaves. The one downside outside of the weight is the absolute level of grip when climbing technical rock features. It's good, but not great. I have the "regular" dual compound one. Curious how the other Terra compounds would perform in this regard. I'm happy to trade some tread life for more grip.

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I just put WTB Trailboss 2.4 front and rear so far so good. took off a worn DHR 2.4 upfront and Aggressor 2.3 in the rear.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Have the DHF on the rear and it does seem bulletproof. Cornering grip is great as is grip in the loose stuff. This tire loves leaves. The one downside outside of the weight is the absolute level of grip when climbing technical rock features. It's good, but not great. I have the "regular" dual compound one. Curious how the other Terra compounds would perform in this regard. I'm happy to trade some tread life for more grip.
DHF in the rear? Maybe that’s your problem. Try a DHR ll instead in Maxterra 3C compound.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I recently installed CushCore on my trail bike, both front and rear. Love the performance but the weight is a bit of a penalty. How do the Tanis compare in both performance and weight?
Tanis is noticeably lighter and wayyyyyy easier to install. I can run the Cushcore at lower pressures than the Tanis. In fact, I've ridden a completely flat tire with Cushcore. The Tanis I doubt I could do that. I would put the Tanis at more in tune with trail riding where the Cushcore is my goto for park riding. Although, I guarantee if you ask me what I have in which wheel I couldn't tell you without looking at the valve stem (one is red one is green).
Hans Dampf are awesome tires but will last maybe 2-3 rides. That’s if you don’t tear the sidewall first. I’m not joking.
The good thing about Schwalbe is also the bad thing... They make at least 3 versions in the same width. Just personal experience; I have ridden Wildcat all season on a Hans Dampf, it's beat to shit, have refilled sealant 3 times. Almost don't want to change it, except the remaining knobs are about to break off. I've probably had a crappy one of everything at some point (Conti, Maxxis, Bonty, Schwalbe, Vittoria, etc). Even the F1 drivers complain about a bum tire from time to time.

serviceguy

DHF in the rear? Maybe that’s your problem. Try a DHR ll instead in Maxterra 3C compound.
4ojaac.jpg

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The good thing about Schwalbe is also the bad thing... They make at least 3 versions in the same width. Just personal experience; I have ridden Wildcat all season on a Hans Dampf, it's beat to shit, have refilled sealant 3 times. Almost don't want to change it, except the remaining knobs are about to break off. I've probably had a crappy one of everything at some point (Conti, Maxxis, Bonty, Schwalbe, Vittoria, etc). Even the F1 drivers complain about a bum tire from time to time.

came in here to say something similar, i get about 500-600 miles out of the hans dampf before the knobs are tearing off, thats riding north jersey rocks, but good traction comes at a cost, in this case tire life, im not going to complain about it too much tho since grip is important.

The_Mountainside_Menace

I prefer aspens on dry rocks. Lots of rubber to grip. I don’t like big knobs on rocks. Waywayanda I prefer a tire with less grip in the rear so it skates through the rocks and a grippier one up front. Rocks basically like lots of rubber so low pressure with i serts is key. Always tubeless always exo always maxxis.
Did a ride with @xc62701 (hopefully I tagged the right person bc that username is dumb) on turkey day and despite the monsoon I still chose the xc tire and didn't die despite multiple butt puckering events. Fat bike probably would have been the best choice to gain some traction. Despite that, those aspens are just unreal in most conditions when the rubber stays on the ground. Since buying Lucky's bike and replacing his old tanwall rekons with new ones, I find I somehow have infinitely more traction on wet roots and rocks with aspens. WTF! Why buy rekons! I think honestly I just need to lower the pressure on the rekons quite a bit over the aspens due to the more supple sidewall. Anyone else have a similar story? (Disclaimer - yes I rode wet trails (but the trails ridden were properly built so doubtful any damage was done b/c they are pretty much bombproof). Sorry for these transgressions I will do 10 hail mary's to the trail gods and will be putting in my time this weekend to build the Marty trail tribute at Stephens)

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Did a ride with @xc62701 (hopefully I tagged the right person bc that username is dumb) on turkey day and despite the monsoon I still chose the xc tire and didn't die despite multiple butt puckering events. Fat bike probably would have been the best choice to gain some traction. Despite that, those aspens are just unreal in most conditions when the rubber stays on the ground. Since buying Lucky's bike and replacing his old tanwall rekons with new ones, I find I somehow have infinitely more traction on wet roots and rocks with aspens. WTF! Why buy rekons! I think honestly I just need to lower the pressure on the rekons quite a bit over the aspens due to the more supple sidewall. Anyone else have a similar story? (Disclaimer - yes I rode wet trails (but the trails ridden were properly built so doubtful any damage was done b/c they are pretty much bombproof). Sorry for these transgressions I will do 10 hail mary's to the trail gods and will be putting in my time this weekend to build the Marty trail tribute at Stephens)
Tried a DHF downhill 29 2.5 and Highroller 2 dd 29 2.5 on my Hightower recently. Way too much traction for me. Used them 3 times and threw the original DHF 29 2.3 on the front and an Aspen on the rear. I’m enjoying the combo as the regular DHF works well under most conditions except for leaves and the tall nobs slip off of steep angled rocks slightly. I swore by Minions for years but wanted to try something new. The Aspen on the rear rolls incredibly and provides great traction under various conditions.
On my Hardtail Ibis put a Recon 29 2.4 on the front and Racing Ralph 29 2.35 on the rear. Love the speed and traction under various conditions. Only weak spot for the Recon/Aspen/Racing Ralph I have found (so far) is mud. Since I don’t ride muddy Jorba trails not an issue. Time to put my downhill DHF and Highroller up for sale 😁. Then again maybe I should wait a few weeks to see how the cross county tires work in the snow and ice as the soft compound works great above freezing...

Last edited:

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Tried a DHF downhill 29 2.5 and Highroller 2 dd 29 2.5 on my Hightower recently. Way too much traction for me. Used them 3 times and threw the original DHF 29 2.3 on the front and an Aspen on the rear. I’m enjoying the combo as the regular DHF works well under most conditions except for leaves and the tall nobs slip off of steep angled rocks slightly. I swore by Minions for years but wanted to try something new. The Aspen on the rear rolls incredibly and provides great traction under various conditions.
On my Hardtail Ibis put a Recon 29 2.4 on the front and Racing Ralph 29 2.35 on the rear. Love the speed and traction under various conditions. Only weak spot for the Recon/Aspen/Racing Ralph I have found (so far) is mud. Since I don’t ride muddy Jorba trails not an issue. Time to put my downhill DHF and Highroller up for sale 😁. Then again maybe I should wait a few weeks to see how the cross county tires work in the snow and ice as the soft compound works great above freezing...
How would you compare the Aspen to the Rekon? I’ve been running a Rekon on the rear and like it but I’m always looking to improve upon that.

And to keep it relevant I personally run a 2.5 DHF in the EXO casing up front all day every day. I’ve tried other tires in search of something that rolls faster but I always end up putting the Minion back on.

xc62701

Did a ride with @xc62701 (hopefully I tagged the right person bc that username is dumb) on turkey day and despite the monsoon I still chose the xc tire and didn't die despite multiple butt puckering events.
Yes you tagged the right person. Yes I also witnessed you walk down the rock line behind me. I agree the aspens are a pretty great tire, but with any tire pressure is key. I was slipping with my fat tires but it was "mostly" predictable.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
How would you compare the Aspen to the Rekon? I’ve been running a Rekon on the rear and like it but I’m always looking to improve upon that.

And to keep it relevant I personally run a 2.5 DHF in the EXO casing up front all day every day. I’ve tried other tires in search of something that rolls faster but I always end up putting the Minion back on.
I have ridden with you and can say Minions work for you as you are an aggressive rider. While I’m aggressive, lately I’m starting to concentrate more on picking lines and endurance so want to go with a less burley tire. Then again one doesn’t have to be blasting down the trails to enjoy the benefits of good traction. Luckily tires don’t cost a fortune so one of the cheaper things to experiment with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tim

The_Mountainside_Menace

I have ridden with you and can say Minions work for you as you are an aggressive rider. While I’m aggressive, lately I’m starting to concentrate more on picking lines and endurance so want to go with a less burley tire. Then again one doesn’t have to be blasting down the trails to enjoy the benefits of good traction. Luckily tires don’t cost a fortune so one of the cheaper things to experiment with.
I agree with experimenting. I recently put on a set of ardents and the more I ride them the more I consider them just being a slower rekon and they aren't much more aggressive either. They give me the same issues when powering uphill on wet roots, where they seem to just slide out easier than other tires I've run. In all other terrain, they are great. Gonna have to try a set of minions, for sloppier days ahead.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
I agree with experimenting. I recently put on a set of ardents and the more I ride them the more I consider them just being a slower rekon and they aren't much more aggressive either. They give me the same issues when powering uphill on wet roots, where they seem to just slide out easier than other tires I've run. In all other terrain, they are great. Gonna have to try a set of minions, for sloppier days ahead.
I have had some issues with Ardents sliding out as there is that transitional section between the top and side nobs. Other thought is maybe it’s not just about tires but also how tires work with the bike geometry and rider style. I love the Recon as a front tire on my hardtail but have experienced some of the issues you described on some FS bikes. One thought is on a HT one is up on the peddles most of the time in rough terrain so the front is more weighted down. On a FS one (or at least I) tends to be in the attack position less often. Then of course there is the aspect of tires being brand new. Will have to see how the traction is on the cross county tires once the initial luster wears off...

What size are you thinking of switching to?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I found the ardent tread doesn’t shed mud very well and gets packed up easy in the winter.

Top Bottom