Tips to keep a powder coated frame clean

qclabrat

My first powder coated bike was a light gray colored Gary Fisher about 20 yrs ago. It was a pain to keep clean and grease never completely wiped off properly even after I donated it last year. I now have another light colored powder coated bike, which I'd imagine will drive me nuts trying to keep clean. My bikes are rarely spotless but I do a rinse and wipe down after a few rides assuming not too muddy. But on paint with powdercoating the finish seems to have a dirty patina after a few rides. I've heard some folks cleaning with simple green then a buff with WD40. Though I've heard simple green tarnishes finishes and the thought of oily bike tubes seems unappealing. Any tips on cleanup are appreciated.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I found that wax makes the surface slippery enough that a simple hose down will make it 90% clean.

Since waxing is a pain, I use a spray wax during the drying process.

Mr.Moto

I found that wax makes the surface slippery enough that a simple hose down will make it 90% clean.

Since waxing is a pain, I use a spray wax during the drying process.

Along those lines, I remember reading years ago some riders on mtbr recommending using Pledge.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
giphy.gif

ReverendNewman

I've tried waxing. But that was old paste wax that leaves the white marks. My local wrench said just to use some WD-40 or the same wet lube u would use for ur chain. Seems to work well. When sweat hits my top tube, it just beads off.

Top Bottom