Tim Jr.'s Birthday Comes Early This Year

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Thanks to Brett @ Action Outfitters (aka HardTale70 to this crowd), Tim Jr. (aka Moose to the family, even before he was born) has his very first mountain bike. When it is the color combo he wanted (from months ago), the only 24" HotRock they had left, and a great deal, well, I just *had* to buy it now instead of next May :rolleyes: Clearly, this bike was meant to be his.

I dunno' who is more exited, Moose or me :) 'Can't wait to drag him down the rail bed at Mahlon, for starters. The gear thing is new and so is the "start without your butt already on the saddle" thing. When he gets the hang of that, I'll have to dig up the thread from not-so-long-ago about "kid friendly" trails in the area.

Here's a pic of the happy "little" guy...
Edit: Trying out embedding the picture instead of a link...
timmyjr_s.JPG

Last edited:

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Finally got him off road...

Today was Timmy's first "official" mountain bike ride up a Mahlon and I couldn't be prouder.

We started on the rail bed. I figured he'd poop out and wanna' turn around, but no, we went the distance. Upon returning to Saffin pond, he wanted more ("c'mon dad, we're not done are we? I think mountain bikin' is my thing!")! So we went south of Saffin and even went a little ways on "real" trails.

He took the rocks and climbs like he'd been doing it for quite a while. I was shocked, to be honest. He hasn't ridden anywhere except the roads in the neighborhood.

6 miles at a 7 mph average pace....not a bad start. The best hour I've spent on a bike, EVER!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Shaggz

A strong 7
awesome, tim! he is turnin better times at MD than me :D. i know colin is still on training wheels, but we should at least meet up for the rail trail part

mwlikesbikes

Hooray for Moose!!!

I wish i was that young when i started MTBing. Of course when i was that young they were still riding klunkers down repack!

When does he get his first 29er????? :D

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
awesome, tim! he is turnin better times at MD than me :D. i know colin is still on training wheels, but we should at least meet up for the rail trail part

We should hook up. Maggie (my 6 y.o. daughter) was a little annoyed we didn't take her with us yesterday. She just shed her training wheels and I really wanted to give Moose a chance to ride at the pace he wanted. I'm in SF next weekend, then the Sean's epic the weekend after that, so maybe the weekend after that? If we start coordinating baseball/softball/etc. schedules now, we might be able to pull it off :)

Shaggz

A strong 7
next weekend is not good anyway. sean's epic - depending on what time everyone returns to the campground, i may stop MD with colin. what days are you doing road rides? i need some motivation to hit the road...

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I wish i was that young when i started MTBing. Of course when i was that young they were still riding klunkers down repack!

When does he get his first 29er????? :D

I was riding my Ross Apollo Racer on trails around Bend, OR at his age. Then in jr high I was doing the same on my Schwinn Varsity (those skinny tires were great on the cinders/sand/lava rock!). Who knew I was mountain biking? I didn't get my first "real" mountain bike until I was 20 (that was in the dark ages: 1985).

I will be assimilated by the 29er Borg before I'll let them have my son:getsome: Those Turner Sultans sure are nice, though...really nice...um...ah...

I already have Timmy's next bike scoped out. My stepson (age 16) has a 13.5" Trek 4300 that has barely been ridden. I've kept all the parts I took off the 5-spot during my winter UGI and will apply them to the Trek. It is a nice light frame. Add some decent X9 stuff, the Fox Vanilla R fork, the BB7s, XT cranks, etc. I have laying around plus get some other (budget) wheels, I think it'd make a sweet bike for him when he grows out of the Hotrock A1. Which, at the rate he is going, could be next week :(

Last edited:

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
next weekend is not good anyway. sean's epic - depending on what time everyone returns to the campground, i may stop MD with colin. what days are you doing road rides? i need some motivation to hit the road...

Whenever I can drag my fat ass out there. I've been doing out-and-backs out BVR. Can you ride during the day?

Shaggz

A strong 7
Can you ride during the day?
i work for a living :rolleyes: :D

i was actually thinking of a regular saturday or sunday early AM thing, but i know that is hard to commit to. i would say a weekday morning but people drive like animals around here during the rush hour commute. another option could be an after work thing as the days get longer.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
i work for a living :rolleyes: :D

i was actually thinking of a regular saturday or sunday early AM thing, but i know that is hard to commit to. i would say a weekday morning but people drive like animals around here during the rush hour commute. another option could be an after work thing as the days get longer.

Weekend mornings usually aren't a problem for me. I try to get out one morning during the weekend (usually on the mtn bike).

After work is much tougher, at least for now. Between Timmy's baseball practices, Maggies softball practices, Tommy's Lacrosse practices, and PTA/Jr Women's Club/etc. activities for my wife, it is a tough time of year after work.

During the week I usually don't head out for a road ride until 9:30-10 AM after the rush hour traffic clears. One of the advantages of working from home and working with folks mostly on the west coast (and beyond).

The family schedule dynamics will change in June, though.

In the mean time we can try adhoc. If you have a chance during the week (AM or EVE), hell, drop me a note...it could work. And if you wanna' setup a Saturday AM road ride after Sean's epic for the rest of May, I'm up for that too.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
cool! let's take this off this part of the board. i'm glad the moose is enjoying the bike :cool:

What? And deprive all the young men out there of the joys of watching two suburban dad's trying to sync schedules? How are they to learn?

;)

Shaggz

A strong 7
OK, let 'em read while we weep. i think my schedule is pretty static until mid-june. I'm looking at 1 to 2 post-work rides, have some early AM action booked for fridays, and am looking to get any combination of two rides on the weekends.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Riveting guys, keep it coming ;) The plot twists have been fantastic thus far.

Top Bottom