Tight Rear Wheel

Not So Fast

I just install a new (fresh out of the box) Mavic ST rear wheel. It doesn't spin as freely as I think it should. My older wheel would freely for a while before stopping. This new wheel spins for a few revolutions then stops.

My brakes are not rubbing. Is it possible the cones are to tight? What else might it be? What are the possible solutions? Thanks yall......:hmmm:

I just install a new (fresh out of the box) Mavic ST rear wheel. It doesn't spin as freely as I think it should. My older wheel would freely for a while before stopping. This new wheel spins for a few revolutions then stops.

My brakes are not rubbing. Is it possible the cones are to tight? What else might it be? What are the possible solutions? Thanks yall......:hmmm:

There might be to much load pressure on the bearings. Usually, you want it just tight enough so there is no lateral play in the wheel.

When you are spinning it, is it QR'd on the bike or are the axles in your hands? Try holding the axles in your hands and see how it feels. If you feel some grinding/binding then they are too tight like JP said. Otherwise, they may just need to break in a bit.

I had the same sort of thing with my road wheels when I got them. It just takes a little time for the hub to break in, so to speak.

I believe with higher end bike parts, they actually grind up gold and sprinkle it on the parts. Sometimes it gets into the bearing grease and takes a little time to work out.

I notice that when I loosen the skewer the wheel rolls alot better. However, then the wheel has way to much play to be safe.

bearings found in wheels are meant to have a load on them spinning them with your hand does nothing ride it and dont worry, usually if it spins very freely in your hands it needs greese

Solved

Thanks for the replies. I took it back to the shop (CAMPMOR). Salesman say, it's brake rub. I didn't understand how tightening a skewer creates brake rub. According to sales guy tighening skewer flexs the frame, thereby moves a pad closer to disc, creating the rub. :hmmm: Sales guy also says, pads are shot, need replacement.

So I go home, replace pads, line everything up and all is good. Thank you all for helpiong out. Now with my new wheels I'm still Not So Fast, but getting faster. :)

Back
Top Bottom