Tick treatment for back yard

rlb

Has anyone done this sort of thing? In the last week I've found at least 20 ticks on my dog and/or me after coming in from the yard. They are super tiny, I can't tell if they're deer ticks or nymphs but I don't really care at this point. Not sure WTF is going on but it's got me a bit paranoid. Looking to hear experiences if anyone has done this before.

My wife bought permethrin based yard treatment from (I think) tractor supply, ill mix up a sprayer and spray the yard down maybe twice a summer. follow the instructions and it seems to work well, also reduces mosquito populations

Reactions: rlb
My wife bought permethrin based yard treatment from (I think) tractor supply, ill mix up a sprayer and spray the yard down maybe twice a summer. follow the instructions and it seems to work well, also reduces mosquito populations

Will take a look, thanks. Leaning towards a professional to begin with to help figure out why I have a sudden tick explosion.

We use mosquito squad, haven't had a tick since. And the field/wooded area right next to the yard is loaded with them. Dog used to come in with them a lot, but hasn't since we started using them. A permethrin spray would probably work, I know that's at least one of the things mosquito squad uses.

Reactions: rlb
I use mosquito joe- they spray for ticks and mosquitoes and fleas.. so far so good. Lmk if you call for treatment and I’ll get a discount as well as you too

I keep the wild areas of my yard as cut back as possible too ticks cling to grasses waiting for someone/something to come by so they can jump on
Also do you treat your dog? Collar or liquid?
The collar needs to be close to the dog's skin to work

Mine got Lyme a few years back and she rarely even goes out. Our yard is also fenced in but the chipmunks I've been told are carriers as well. We've been using Simparica for a few years though not sure how well it works. Unless you test for it I'm not certain you'd know as my pooch didn't show any signs if my vet didn't test for it.

I keep the wild areas of my yard as cut back as possible too ticks cling to grasses waiting for someone/something to come by so they can jump on
Also do you treat your dog? Collar or liquid?
The collar needs to be close to the dog's skin to work

She gets nexguard, not a repellent it just kills them after they bite her. The yard grass has been a bit taller lately, but not unwieldy by any means. I cut it down pretty good and I have been finding much less the last few days (I think 1 yesterday and 2 today). I've been keeping her leashed in the yard and keeping her away from the brush. I haven't called anyone in yet, some other issues have presented themselves. Hopefully we'll have a normal winter this year to help with this crap.

Back
Top Bottom