Tick Season???

Space Heater

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Being such a nice day I had to get into the woods. No I didn't ride, but took my dogs for a 2.5 hour walk in Watchung around Surprise Lake (although I did see tire tracks). Very, very muddy but the leaves seemed to cover up a lot of the standing water. After the hike I was amazed to find a tick on my jeans and then while washing my white dog I found a loose one on him. I hate to think of the ones I missed on my black dog! My point is I cannot remember finding ticks until April or after spring officially starts. Anyone else found any? Are we in for a crazy tick spring because of the mild winter? I know many people feel my hatred for these guys as posted last Spring/Summer.

Scotty878

Shop: Planet Bike
Shop Keep
I remember last year during that really warm week in like January, I found a tick on my dog since we don't use Frontline on him in the winter, so I'm thinking there is probably a few out now because of those few warm days recently. I live right next to the woods, and there is always ticks around, but the Frontline works wonders on my dog. I wish they had a Frontline for humans, lol. Apply once beginning of the season and you're set for the year!

M

mtbjeff

My experiance has been that there is no tick season in northern nj. I once steped out of my truck to pee in a snow bank and found 2 ticks on my neck (thankfully) when I got back in the truck.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I found one on the cat last week...'couldn't believe it.

BTW, what do you guys use when you're riding to fend of the critters? Or do you bank on your speed to keep them at bay ;)

M

mtbjeff

I have never found a tick after mtb, but mosquitoes and black flys, thats whole nother story.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I have never found a tick after mtb, but mosquitoes and black flys, thats whole nother story.

If ya' wanna' talk mosquitoes, try riding in Minnesota. I lived there for three years and the mosquitoes there are the size of Cessnas.

It was okay if you kept moving; stop to take a break and they'd engulf your head and treat you like you are a buffet. Nasty...but an effective training aid...

Shaggz

A strong 7
frontline?

how effective is this stuff for dogs? we recently inherited a turd with feet, and the ticks just love her. our vet recommended and said it was safe to use around children, but I was curious if anyone has real experience.

Scotty878

Shop: Planet Bike
Shop Keep
how effective is this stuff for dogs? we recently inherited a turd with feet, and the ticks just love her. our vet recommended and said it was safe to use around children, but I was curious if anyone has real experience.

Like I said, I live next to the woods and it works on my dog. Only down sides are you have to re-apply it ever three months or so and it leaves the fur where you put it all weird for a couple days...Aside from that, seems to do its job.

monkey boy

Self-Imposed Exile
Frontline

This stuff works like a champ! I use it on my pooch and she rarely gets a tick on her. when I do find one it is usually dead.
As for people keep the little ones away from the weird we spot until it dries. IT could cause a rash depending on how sensitive their skin is.

Deep woods off works well to keep 'em at bay. but avoiding areas where they hang out is the best.

Last edited:

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
Frontline (with Fipronil) is the best thing for four legs, and most bug juices use DEET for the bi-ped types. My wifes mom sells Avon and swears by skin so soft ( there are a couple of different kinds,water resistant with sun screen, with picaridin, etc..)

FFT

Gay & Stuffy
Deer ticks = lyms disease = bells palsy...........to fun at all.
My dog and mysef both got lyms this year, it was very costly.

F

Firefly7

I found one on the cat last week...'couldn't believe it.

BTW, what do you guys use when you're riding to fend of the critters? Or do you bank on your speed to keep them at bay ;)

I use OFF, bu the outdoor camping kind...Not for nothing but it works very good....DO NOT GET IT ON YOUR FACE....I made the mistake of walking behind a budyy while he was putting it on and got sprayed...When the sweat poors opened up...."THE BURN!!!"...Anyhow I just sprayed my clothing in layers in case I peel...Don't forget your backpack...

Top Bottom