Thurs Afternoon @ Clayton or Mercer

John Baumann

I'm attending a senimar in Monroe Twp that will end at Noon.
I'm badly in need of some saddle time so I wanted to check out one of the above places; never been to either but it looks like they're only about 30 mins from where I'll be.
Anybody around to show a guy some trails in the southern hemisphere(as I call it)? I'm thinkin' about 1:00ish.
If not, any trail reports on better conditions at one place or the other would be appreciated.
Thanks!

MVMX

I'm in NYC, so can't go.

I went to Mercer Sunday for the first time and the frozen conditions made it fun, and you could probably follow the tire tracks and not get lost. We parked at the Marina lot, so left or right facing the building will hook you up. I don't the trail loops around the lake.

Clayton slightly more elevation, and you can NOT get lost, trail markers to the trailhead at every intersection, frozen fast fun, just watch out for the horsey steamers. :cry:

short notice, hope it works out.

Mare

Although I won't be around to show you, I can give my 2 cents :)

Both places should be fine. Mercer is flat and twisty. Clayton is more hilly and more of a workout, but not even as hilly as Hartshorne (so you can compare it to something). Chances are greater you will be able to make your way around Clayton if you end up going by yourself. Clayton has a trail map posted, but you can really just pedal there and figure it out as you go because it's not that big where you will really get lost. Mercer - you kind of need to know where the trails connect...it can get confusing, but don't let that stop you if you are oh so inclinded to experiment. You have me recommendation for Clayton though.

Have fun!!

John Baumann

I'm in NYC, so can't go.

Clayton slightly more elevation, and you can NOT get lost, trail markers to the trailhead at every intersection, frozen fast fun, just watch out for the horsey steamers. :cry:

short notice, hope it works out.

Although I won't be around to show you, I can give my 2 cents :)

Clayton is more hilly and more of a workout, but not even as hilly as Hartshorne (so you can compare it to something). Chances are greater you will be able to make your way around Clayton if you end up going by yourself. Clayton has a trail map posted, but you can really just pedal there and figure it out as you go because it's not that big where you will really get lost.
You have me recommendation for Clayton though.

Have fun!!

Thanks for the guidance! You were right on the money , and it really helped out.
I flew solo at Clayton and think I hit everything in both directions in about 2 hour(is that possible?)
The trails were indeed very fast with about half of them still snow covered. . I also practiced on some of the log-overs. Not many bike tracks at all, and I saw no one out there.
I couldn't help but get the sensation that I was riding in circles in a small place... then I looked at the trail map and guess what; I was riding in circles in a small place.
Anywho, it was just what the doctor ordered after not riding for two full weeks. Hopefully I'll get out again this weekend.

Mare

That sounds about right! Clayton is small, but you can get in a very good workout and ride a while without getting terribly bored. Glad you had fun!

Top Bottom