Thunder mountain bike park

jumpa

Decided to take a trip over to check it out with @kichibot . Overall a small resort but they make up for it with very good use of the topography with their trail layout. Berms for days! I enjoyed the trails that had both flow and natural DH integrated into the run. Gravity logic did a good job with the design . I'd say the feel is similar to creek.

I didnt get a chance to ride the longer black or double black trails. Lack of skill and being fairly new to DH leads me to stick on side of caution being so far from home.

20160805_001220.jpg

20160805_001422.jpg

Last edited:

njkayaker

I hope to go back the end of this month. the place is a blast. some of the blacks in the woods are really technical.

Johnny Utah

The whole mountain is very tame and fun with the exception of the double black under the lift poles. That trail is steep and rocky, my buddy and I were some of the first wheels on it last year when it was leaf covered which led to one of my only diggers of the season.

This is a great park for an enduro type bike and is very friendly for a five inch bike. A big bike will still be fun too (obviously) but I think the enduro sleds will be faster with the proper pilot.

If I had to pick a park to take first time DH riders to on the east coast, this would be it.

That being said it is a ton of fun for the seasoned DH rider.

There is a solid deli/bar right when you leave too. Food is a 9.5/10 and the portions are huge, oh, they have a solid tap list as well.

jumpa

The whole mountain is very tame and fun with the exception of the double black under the lift poles. That trail is steep and rocky, my buddy and I were some of the first wheels on it last year when it was leaf covered which led to one of my only diggers of the season.

This is a great park for an enduro type bike and is very friendly for a five inch bike. A big bike will still be fun too (obviously) but I think the enduro sleds will be faster with the proper pilot.

If I had to pick a park to take first time DH riders to on the east coast, this would be it.

That being said it is a ton of fun for the seasoned DH rider.

There is a solid deli/bar right when you leave too. Food is a 9.5/10 and the portions are huge, oh, they have a solid tap list as well.

we should have posted up here for food advice then. i think i saw that deli, had all the mtbers out front.

BiknBen

Please tell me that they sped up the lift! When I was there last year, the lift was so damn slow it killed it for me. Bring a book and sunscreen. That being said, I did enjoy it and it continues to improve. I really enjoyed the tighter tech trails as they are relatively new and haven't been blown out yet by traffic.

jumpa

Please tell me that they sped up the lift! When I was there last year, the lift was so damn slow it killed it for me. Bring a book and sunscreen. That being said, I did enjoy it and it continues to improve. I really enjoyed the tighter tech trails as they are relatively new and haven't been blown out yet by traffic.

we thought the same! impossibly slow..

kichibot

My favorite part about it is chasing after the lift while trying to put your bike on the rack! Makes me so anxious every time.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
My favorite part about it is chasing after the lift while trying to put your bike on the rack! Makes me so anxious every time.
You may look cool going down under the lifts but completely inadequate chasing the lift lol! I know the feeling...

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Who wants to go to thunder this weekend?

Boy wonder is bailing for a stupid 16 party.

I got room for one and bike camp in lot.
Beers and gas on me.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I will check my calendar
I was planning to get up there in October
Going VT next week

Top Bottom