Threaded rod headset press. Concerns?

TimBay

Anyone ever make a headset press with threaded rods? I saw a youtube where he took a threaded rod, some metal washers, nylon washers and nuts. Priced it out at lowes for around 7 buckaroos. Anyone ever try it before?

Mr.Moto

Used one for a while before I bought a Nashbar headset press. Still use it now and again depending on what I need to do. I would suggest getting the finer thread rod but regular thread works okay too.

TimBay

What size washers did you go with. I'm thinking 1/2 in rod and 2 in washers. The nylons were 1 1/4, but that should be fine. I just looked online quick, so might find better when I actually go to the store.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
The washer has to be pretty strong or it will bend. I think I've used 3 washers on 1 end and used those round spokes wrench on the other.
The headtube aren't bigger than 44mm? I think so washers in 2" diameter should do ok.

grilledcheeseking

This setup works, just grease everything and be patient so you don't break anything. I want a proper press but I never pull the trigger given how rarely I think I would use it.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Use fine course threaded rod and fender washers.
It's all I every used on pressfit cups. Have to admit that I keep an eye out for park tool doe.

Mr.Moto

Just make sure when using this set up that you watch the cups going in are parallel to the frame surface. Do one side at a time.

TimBay

Thanks everyone. Glad to see I'm not the only dude who doesn't want to drop 75 to 150 on a propper tool.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
I made one almost 20 years ago out of threaded rod and washers, with mahogany blocks at the contact points. Works flawlessly to this day. Pointers mentioned above cover it, including doing 1 side at a time, and going slow to ensure that everything is straight as you tighten. Also make the rod long enough to incorporate different installation bushings and the tool becomes adaptable to BB bearing pressing too.

Johnny Utah

Anyone ever make a headset press with threaded rods? I saw a youtube where he took a threaded rod, some metal washers, nylon washers and nuts. Priced it out at lowes for around 7 buckaroos. Anyone ever try it before?
Yes, I use the same tool for press fit bottom brackets. I think it cost less than $4 to make from parts in the hardware section of home depot.

TimBay

Do you guys buy bike specific grease or is there something at lowes or an auto store that you like? I'll obviously have to grease the new headset as well as the tool. Thanks for all the pointers. I'm glad this is a viable option.

Mr.Moto

Will this work for wheel hub bearings as well? Seems like the same concept.

It will work, but you generally will need to press on the outer edge of the bearing and be sure that is goes in far enough to seat. That might mean using something with a similar (slightly smaller) outer diameter as the bearing your pressing so that it goes in far enough. I have used sockets in the past with good results if I don't have the right bearing press.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Do you guys buy bike specific grease or is there something at lowes or an auto store that you like? I'll obviously have to grease the new headset as well as the tool. Thanks for all the pointers. I'm glad this is a viable option.
I use Park Tool grease
Doesn't cost much and it should last you a long time

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
It will work, but you generally will need to press on the outer edge of the bearing and be sure that is goes in far enough to seat. That might mean using something with a similar (slightly smaller) outer diameter as the bearing your pressing so that it goes in far enough. I have used sockets in the past with good results if I don't have the right bearing press.
I think @sptimmy43 had a cheaper alternative.

mtbiker87

Buy a tub of bell ray waterproof grease. After several years of using it for various bike projects it's still less more than half full.

pkovo

I've done this. Used it successfully several times on bicycle headsets and various motorcyccle bearings.

About a year back I needed to do a press fit Bottom Bracket and I splurged on a relatively inexpensive press with drifts for various bearing sizes. Was relatively inexpensive and makes the job a bit easier/quicker.

Top Bottom