Threaded rod headset press. Concerns?

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
I've been using my home made contraption for decades and it works fine. What I do is use two large washers up top and one at the bottom. The reason I use two up top is that's where I tighten up the screw to compress the headset and I put a layer of heavy grease between the 2 washers. This way as I'm turning the bolt I'm allowing the washers to rub against either rather than the washer rub and scrape against the top surface of the cup. I suppose you can use a nylon washer in place of the grease. I found washers with as much surface metal as possible to evenly distribute the force and to prevent bending. So whatever diameter bolt you get look for washers that just barely fit over the shaft with OD that's well bigger than the steer tube in case it slides around a bit.

one piece crank

I have a pair HDPE cups that came with a BMX BB back in the 80's. It has a center hole that simply takes a long hub axle w/nuts. I have also successfully used a vice for cup installation, but recently saw these from Wheels Manufacturing, and may just pick-up the $75 version (brass inserts are nice if it gets a lot of use).

Universal Bottom Bracket Press
Professional Universal Bottom Bracket Press

EDIT: Scratch both the above options. I mistakenly thought eh brass inserts meant Acme thread! This one below does have Acme threaded rod (3/8").

PRESS-1 Handle & Rod Assembly

Last edited:

Matt_

I Get Jokes
My homemade contraption... fits Cane Creek 40 series cups perfectly, but i've used it to install everything else (just flip them over). I bit overkill, but had some aluminum left over from another project. +1 to the previous comment about grease between the washer as well, works great

2014-07-13 21.12.01.jpg

2014-04-30 20.29.35.jpg

one piece crank

Nice machining!

If you use your press for any volume, or see increased loads, you should harvest a threaded rod (and nuts) from discarded car scissors jack. These jacks typically use Acme thread (or Trapezoidal thread, the metric equivalent) which will turn smoother under load and reduce thread wear. I use Trepzoidal rod for automotive frame and spring bushings.

Karate Monkey

Nice machining!

If you use your press for any volume, or see increased loads, you should harvest a threaded rod (and nuts) from discarded car scissors jack. These jacks typically use Acme thread (or Trapezoidal thread, the metric equivalent) which will turn smoother under load and reduce thread wear. I use Trepzoidal rod for automotive frame and spring bushings.

Yes, but to add, you still need to grease them occasionally. Even/especially when they are on a jack. Same with chain tools/other screw-type presses.

Also, adding a thrust bearing will drastically reduce the force necessary for pressing. You can get Dynaroll bearings from Grainger that will take a homemade press to the next level.

TimBay

Yes, but to add, you still need to grease them occasionally. Even/especially when they are on a jack. Same with chain tools/other screw-type presses.

Also, adding a thrust bearing will drastically reduce the force necessary for pressing. You can get Dynaroll bearings from Grainger that will take a homemade press to the next level.
Yeah I was wondering about bearings. The 15-20 dollar ghetto presses on Amazon seem to have a bearing on one side.

My homemade contraption... fits Cane Creek 40 series cups perfectly, but i've used it to install everything else (just flip them over). I bit overkill, but had some aluminum left over from another project. +1 to the previous comment about grease between the washer as well, works great

View attachment 88083
View attachment 88084

That is one slick homemade tool! I've used the threaded rod and washers lots of times. It's easy if done carefully as many posted.

Top Bottom