Thougts on Specialized Epic 29er

stilluf

I'm thinking of buying a used Specialized Epic 29er (the entry level Epic). Rode it this past weekend at Chimney Rock, and it was great. Interested if anyone else has ridden this bike and your thoughts.
Thanks!!

Blair

is this the carbon full suspension? I need to demo some fs xc bikes, on paper the specialized epic carbon is my first choice.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's a great race bike. Short travel, quick steering, firm suspension. Is that what you are looking for?

Some people don't like the Brain's mechanical feel.

walter

Fourth Party
It seems to me that the brain is different every year, which makes me feel like they cant get it right.

stilluf

Thanks everyone. I'm really looking for a good all-mountain bike. I love riding Chimney Rock, and this bike seemed to handle it really well. Of course, that could be because my current ride is a 2007 Specialized XC FSR!

Beachbike

Do your self a favor, if riding chimney rock and perhaps some of the other chunkier places of northern NJ, NY, PA. Try a trek fuel. Plenty of demos between now and late fall. 120 travel, climbs great, descends well, really a well balanced bike. On a fuel now after two stumpys. They were great bikes but the fuel climbs outta the saddle much better.

Good luck!

GratefulRider

I ride my Epic in all sorts of terrain and I absolutely love it. The brain is great on the rear and good on the front.

I recently switched from the 100mm epic to the 95mm WC epic and I think it made a great bike even better. Handling, stability, climbing, durability, and customer service are top notch. I also really like the Roval wheels.

I could go on but I won't waste time...in my opinion, the epic is awesome and capable. I'm sure other manufacturers have great models too but you can crazy comparing them all.
If you want a sure thing, epic won't disappoint.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you really want an AM bike, go with a medium travel 27.5" bike. But plenty of people ride CR on short travel 29ers with no complaints. Hit up Halter's Cannondale demo in a few weeks and ride some stuff.

mustclime

I was just about to quite mountian biking, I was doing more road riding than woods time.....picked up a fat bike and there is nothing I would rather be doing. 29ers are faster but the same loose tech sections that will stop a 26 inch wheel can stop a 29er. On a fat bike, you run out of leg before you run out of grip....

The Heckler

You bring new meaning to the term SUCK
I love my 2014 Epic Comp 29. It's a little heavy as far as "race bikes" go. The stock tires are garbage, get something with a good sidewall and set them up tubeless. The wheels aren't too terrible for a stock wheel set.

I put a 90mm stem to speed up the steering and get myself a little more comfy. That was the big change that made the bike click for me.

The weight didn't stop me from hitting a couple Cat 2 podiums this year ;) The bike absolutely shredded everything Jungle threw at us.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
This is a very capable bike. 2 of the guys here at the shop own them and ride them well.

-Jim.

Top Bottom