Thoughts on the Burton Love boards?

don

While in Stowe last week I read an interview in the Seven newspaper (usually part of the Stowe Reporter) about a couple of Burton's new decks - the Love and Primo. I can't find that interview I read but here are some other links:

http://www.vpr.net/news_detail/82992/

http://www.snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=topic14338

http://business.transworld.net/2008/10/02/burton-love-graphics-draw-hate-mail/

I stopped by Darkside snowboards after reading the article and they had the Love and Primo boards in full view. Along with the Love 2 board that I thought was funny - it has a list of items after "What to fight today:" Burton Snowboards is checked off at the end but before that is a list of things like animal rights and poverty.

Would like to hear what you guys and gals thought.

Glancing Aft

Dynstar had a silhouette of a naked girl on their troublemakers almost 10 years ago, and Head has had similar graphics to the loves on their Mojos for the past few years. This is nothing new for jib culture, it's just now that Burton is doing it, the media has to pay attention...

Last edited:

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
love: absolutely amazing. there isn't anything distasteful about them at all.
primo: it's called irony. get over it.

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
i could see alot of moms not wanting to buy those boards for their 13 year old kids who need ever latest snowboarding trend...

do you think shops will put them in the back row, mostly covered in a brown paper bag? haha

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
dude, this isn't like when i was in highschool and the internet didn't exist. if some 13 year old kid wants to look at nekked-ness, it's a click away.

axcxnj

Hipster Keys
true..but hes not going to ask for his mom's credit card to buy a subscription to the site

don

Dynstar had a silhouette of a naked girl on their troublemakers almost 10 years ago, and Head has had similar graphics to the loves on their Mojos for the past few years. This is nothing new for jib culture, it's just now that Burton is doing it, the media has to pay attention...

Exactly. That thing on CNN was funny too - how they presented it - Here are the graphics by themselves on a piece of paper - what do you think?

When I walked in Darkside they had the Love's setup front and center and if I hadn't heard about the hoppala I would have probably taken a quick look and walked right by - with all the other boards, gear, vids and music they don't really pop out.

And as I looked closer - the 'dirtier' parts of the topsheet would be almost entirely covered up by a binding. Add a sticker or 2 like most kids do and snow and there isn't that much to see.

don

love: absolutely amazing. there isn't anything distasteful about them at all.
primo: it's called irony. get over it.

I thought the same thing about the Love series - well done. The girls and posees were more 60's/girl next door/fun style than anything else. Once bindings are mounted I think the effect would even be better - hiding the curvier sections like a black dot.

I've seen similiar images on Esquire and Vanity Fair covers and worse on Maxim. I feel some of the current hip hop/top 20 vids are way way worse - those have way more of a blingy/slutty feel. And the Love's are not even close to the stuff on the internet a 13 year old could find for free as said before.

I'm just waiting for the rip-off of this to come out with some heavy & ugly New England or PNW girls dress in flannel or a generic sweatshirt w/ buck teeth and in a trying to be sexy position.

The Primo line reminds me off some skate stuff which I think they were trying to do. Like you said ironic - stuff like blowing fingers off w/ mini bombs for a peace sign - I'm guessing some of the people complaining don't even get it. Again compared to many other things in our society I don't think they were bad at all.

I wouldn't buy either the Love or Primo for my 9 year old but I won't be buying issues of Maxim or let him watch certain channels on cable either.

Lewie

I don't think the girlfriend would like to hear that I was going to ride my "other girl," even if it was a reference to my snowboard. However, I have nothing against em. No different than Grenade and Rogue Status teaming up with that automatic weapons print/patter, or other companies showing pot leaves or alcohol.

I have to say having a subscription to Snowboarder Magazine, that magazine is definetely for the 17+ reader.

Parents just have to do their job, thats all.

Top Bottom