Thoughts on SRAM Gx??

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
My 10 speed X9 rear derailleur is toast after 5 years of trusty service. SRAM no longer makes X9 and the only alternative I can find is GX. However I have read multiple posts that the B-tension screw on these is weak and prone to breakage or bending. Anyone with experience with these? If bad, any other alternatives? Harder to find 10 speed these days. Don’t want to have to change shifters either. Thanks.

Dave02

I also had issues with the 10 speed gx b screw. My cassette was 11-42, over the ratings of the gx. Bent the b screw right from the start. Then used one of those links that lowers the derailer about 1/2", then it was fine. Forgotten the name of the link but its common....my link was from JGbike, wolf tooth also has.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
My 10 speed X9 rear derailleur is toast after 5 years of trusty service. SRAM no longer makes X9 and the only alternative I can find is GX. However I have read multiple posts that the B-tension screw on these is weak and prone to breakage or bending. Anyone with experience with these? If bad, any other alternatives? Harder to find 10 speed these days. Don’t want to have to change shifters either. Thanks.
I have a 10 speed x9 (non clutch) derailleur lying around if you want it. I’ll probably never use it for anything.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
GX is basically an X9 derailleur. It's super easy to replace the b-tension when it bends. They bend because folks try to run them with wide range cassettes which 10 speed was never designed for. Anything over a 40t is asking for problems. Best option is to stay 11-36 as 10 speed was made for and run a smaller ring if needed.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
GX is basically an X9 derailleur. It's super easy to replace the b-tension when it bends. They bend because folks try to run them with wide range cassettes which 10 speed was never designed for. Anything over a 40t is asking for problems. Best option is to stay 11-36 as 10 speed was made for and run a smaller ring if needed.

Showing up with x9 and 42t tomorrow.
I believe in you.

Leftymuk

Speaking of GX the one I got from you is poo........ the jockey wheels didn't even turn....... lol

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Thanks Jim. I’m running 36T so no worries there.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's

Thoughts on using the Wolftooth Goatlink/Roadlink? Seems like this would help some of those issues.

Not for me though. I'm still thinking 1x10 11-36 was the pinnacle of MTB gearing. :)

Top Bottom