Thoughts on a Salsa El Mariachi

Gene

The Dancing Machine
The bike has been discontinued, but still appears to have a cult like following for it. Any local riders care to share your thoughts on the frame?

I've watched the YouTube via Bike Magazine's Review and via MTBR...

From the video and blog it appears to just be a solid frame (I've heard this plenty with all Salsa frames) and while not the lightest bike it gets the job done.

I bought one a year ago or so and love it. Not sure about why it has a cult following, but people like steel and no nonsense, I think this is the definition of that.

I bought one a year ago or so and love it. Not sure about why it has a cult following, but people like steel and no nonsense, I think this is the definition of that.
Maybe just my poor perception

I bought a new SS El Mar from Garrisons back in 2014. Still have it, with no thoughts of selling or trading it. The handling is solid, the ride is nice.

can't really give you a technical opinion about it but I love the bike and the way it rides. I would argue that it is pretty light for a steel bike, but I upgraded mine with some carbon that wasn't stock on the bike (fork, cranks and handlebars). I've also converted it to A 27.5x2.8 without any issue so far, it's a tight fit but works nevertheless.

That if you are looking for any size other than 19" or large. If you're looking for a large than what I have to say to you is that the El Mar is a horrible frame that will disintegrate on the first impact...

There's a couple being sold at the moment on pinkbike and e-bay but they're not my choice of year/color and they want a little too much money for what they are considering I would replace most of the components so I get to save the money for another day.

One weak spot to look for is the seat stays near the BB, apparently they tend to crack under stress.

can't really give you a technical opinion about it but I love the bike and the way it rides. I would argue that it is pretty light for a steel bike, but I upgraded mine with some carbon that wasn't stock on the bike (fork, cranks and handlebars). I've also converted it to A 27.5x2.8 without any issue so far, it's a tight fit but works nevertheless.

That if you are looking for any size other than 19" or large. If you're looking for a large than what I have to say to you is that the El Mar is a horrible frame that will disintegrate on the first impact...

There's a couple being sold at the moment on pinkbike and e-bay but they're not my choice of year/color and they want a little too much money for what they are considering I would replace most of the components so I get to save the money for another day.

One weak spot to look for is the seat stays near the BB, apparently they tend to crack under stress.
The one that got posted today was from San Diego. This might be a bad subject to bring up, but bicycle blue book shows the value as much less than the asking price... my feedback to the seller:

I see the bike is MSRP at $1,600
www.everysingle.bike/models/2015-salsa-em-3-light-blue

www.bicyclebluebook.com/value-guide/product/3055408

I see what you mean in regards to the other El Mariachis Bikes on Pink bike...

www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?region=3&q=Salsa%20El%20Mariachi&framesize=23,27,34,35,36,30,31,47

Is Bicycle Blue Book not a reliable source?

I'm looking at the large frame bikes.

I don't know how BB determines the estimate of what a bike should go for. At the end of the day if you want that specific bike you're going to pay the extra cash. If you're not specifically into the El Mar there are other hardtail frames that fit the same description and are a little bit more up to speed with modern specs such as the Timberjack (slacker geo and boost spacing). I'm also buying frames only as I like to build my bikes to my own specs, so I can't justify $1000+ for a bunch of used components that I'm not going to use and that I will have to remove from a $300-$400 worth frame.

Because the last generation had pretty good geometry, relatively inexpensive, versatile and doesn't have weird proprietary parts.

Threaded BB, tapered CC headset, adjustable rear that can do SS, 135QR, 142Thru.

If I didn't have my El Mariachi however, I'd very much consider the Timberjack for the massive weight savings.

Because the last generation had pretty good geometry, relatively inexpensive, versatile and doesn't have weird proprietary parts.

Threaded BB, tapered CC headset, adjustable rear that can do SS, 135QR, 142Thru.

If I didn't have my El Mariachi however, I'd very much consider the Timberjack for the massive weight savings.
Is the Timberjack the replacement model? Better or just fancy newer shinny components?

BBB is low under normal circumstances. It's just about useless right now for pricing bikes under $2k. $1200 is more than fair tbh.
Do you think that because of the king component? I'm not good at understanding component upgrades to compare from base price on an item... just curious. Not critical to answer.

Do you think that because of the king component? I'm not good at understanding component upgrades to compare from base price on an item... just curious. Not critical to answer.
If you're talking about the $1.2K baby blue on pinkbike, those components are not that impressive, the only King components is the headset and even replacing bearings on those can be $$$. I would try and lower the price but again it seems like it could have been ridden hard. I personally would pay a premium from a seller that shows being meticulous at bike maintenance rather tan from someone that can't even be bothered to spend about 2 minutes and remove a sticker glue from the top tube, you can get lucky sometomes though. I would also ask for pictures of the lower chain stays...

Timberjack is kind of the replacement model but very different in many aspects as it's an aluminum frame, it still comes with swappable alternator plates for multiple axle formats/adjustments.

Timberjack is kind of the replacement model but very different in many aspects as it's an aluminum frame, it still comes with swappable alternator plates for multiple axle formats/adjustments.

Aluminum so it's lighter, but I can't say if the feel is better or not. Geometry seems to be basically the same although I think you can get shorter chainstay lengths on the TJ.

Alternator plates v2.0 so it's boost if I recall?

BBB is just wildly underpriced for the most part, factor in the huge shortage of bikes and that price is probably spot on. I'd say normally it's a $850-1000 bike, $200 extra for covid pricing.

Aluminum so it's lighter, but I can't say if the feel is better or not. Geometry seems to be basically the same although I think you can get shorter chainstay lengths on the TJ.

Alternator plates v2.0 so it's boost if I recall?
Yes, it's boost which makes it also easier to get components I guess. I'm not actually sure how much weight they managed to save using aluminum, as the lighter material also requires bigger tubes. Mine is somewhere mid 26 lbs with a dropper post and gears.

If you're talking about the $1.2K baby blue on pinkbike, those components are not that impressive, the only King components is the headset and even replacing bearings on those can be $$$. I would try and lower the price but again it seems like it could have been ridden hard. I personally would pay a premium from a seller that shows being meticulous at bike maintenance rather tan from someone that can't even be bothered to spend about 2 minutes and remove a sticker glue from the top tube, you can get lucky sometomes though. I would also ask for pictures of the lower chain stays...

I thought the same thing on the sticker glue. Glad it wasn't just me.

This just posted to the Salsa and Surly trader on Facebook
Screenshot_20200721-150812.png

Back
Top Bottom