Thoughts on a new ride

No but really. I went with the Fisher Procaliber. It was dialed in component wise. The frame could be lighter, but I trend more towards durability. Picked it up Saturday and rode the Tourne. Then opened it up a bit at Ringwood on Sunday. The geometry is rather suprising; unlike any of my other bikes. First of all the rear end on this bike is STIFF; as compared to my Fuel EX which is all over the place. The suspension is right on. I don't think my wheels left the ground unless commanded to do so. The steering blew me away though. With your initial input the feeling is easy and stable. Give a bit more and the front end slices, but it stays totally hooked up. So far very happy. Oh yeah the other factor - when one of your best friends owns a shop you try to keep the faith. I've seen him throw down some voodoo karma thing once and I didn't want to feel that pain.

ya know, while i was riding today i was thinking of sending you an email and asking you how this was coming. i guess now i know.

huh. maybe we should talk bill. the richie voodoo karma thing may be one of my problems.

either that or i'm just not riding enough.

by the way, how dare you by a 26" mtb. like zed, they're dead. :D

Last edited:
I just picked up my new race rig. It's a Cannondale Taurine 1 full carbon. It built up out of the box at 22.3 lbs. and that's a large frameset.
Hardtail for racing. :)

How you liking it?

I'm also looking at a race rig shortly this year, hopefully before Way-way

Cannondales = Scalpel or Taurine
What I like about Cannondale: Life time warrenty on frame; they are great to work with.... But... They are expensive; entry level Taurine is $3,600 and the Scalpel is about the same.

Looking at the Scott Scale now. The Scale 30 is $2400 (ish) and weighs 23.4 pounds with the reflectors, pedals and tire tubes on the bike. Ditch the reflectors, put on XTR pedals, then Stans No tube and its at 22.6 (ish)

The Scale 20 is like 22.5 pounds, and is $3,100.
Scott makes a great bike.... but they have like $500 (crash) frame replacement.

Don't know... stay tuned

Where are you getting your weights from?

How you liking it?

I'm also looking at a race rig shortly this year, hopefully before Way-way

Cannondales = Scalpel or Taurine
What I like about Cannondale: Life time warrenty on frame; they are great to work with.... But... They are expensive; entry level Taurine is $3,600 and the Scalpel is about the same.

Looking at the Scott Scale now. The Scale 30 is $2400 (ish) and weighs 23.4 pounds with the reflectors, pedals and tire tubes on the bike. Ditch the reflectors, put on XTR pedals, then Stans No tube and its at 22.6 (ish)

The Scale 20 is like 22.5 pounds, and is $3,100.
Scott makes a great bike.... but they have like $500 (crash) frame replacement.

Don't know... stay tuned

Where are you getting your weights from?

I grabbed the Scale 30 which was on the showroom floor, and put it on the scale.

Scott also lists the weights of the bikes in their flyers, and to my surprise they were very (close) acurate. I have the Scott catalog at home, can look at it and post the weights later.

Last edited:
The Scott Spark was on my wish list... I could not find one plus the $10k price tag was a little over the top; even it is around 21 lbs.

Jake,
26 was the result. I reviewed the 29ers, weight was the biggest issue. And as far as the hard tail argument. I felt great about FS riding Ringwood. There is not enought smooth trails anywhere (maybe Hartshorne) that make a hardtail a legit choice for me. Maybe if I was 30 again, but I have a lot trees, rocks and general destruction on my bones.

Jake,
26 was the result. bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla,bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla. Maybe if I was 30 again, but bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla destruction on my bones.

oh, ok. :D

I hope you are having fun at my expense.

BTW - Just looked at house for sale that shares a back yard with the Tourne:hmmm:

Okay, got the Weights on the Scotts out of the catalog, No reflectors on the wheels or pedals and with out the Plastic thingy behind the cassetee. Weights (I think) include the Shimano pedals

Scale 30 23.13 lbs ($2500)
Scale 20 22.58 lbs ($3100)
Scale 15 21.81 lbs (reached my limit)
Scale 10 20.48 lbs (don't wanna know)
Scale limited 18.83 (Stupid $$)

Jake - well done, that's up there with shit a kitten, even if he did flip his wig tonight. It's all good fun. Sandbaggers, all of them, I say.

Placed the order last night for a Cannondale Taurine:) on the way home. Should have it Wensday or Thursday = Hopbrook on Sunday ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMAGE.

Back
Top Bottom