This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So is the current plan everyone gets boosters every 6 months?

So in roughly 6 months many 65+ people would be getting their 4th shot, 2nd booster?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So is the current plan everyone gets boosters every 6 months?

So in roughly 6 months many 65+ people would be getting their 4th shot, 2nd booster?
I’m sure they’re going to have to see how long the efficacy lasts after a booster. Maybe it’ll be 6 months, maybe a year, maybe 2 months.

Also, maybe the vaccine is not effective at all against the new strain and they’ll have a new one, which sounds like it’s on the way already.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’m sure they’re going to have to see how long the efficacy lasts after a booster. Maybe it’ll be 6 months, maybe a year, maybe 2 months.

Also, maybe the vaccine is not effective at all against the new strain and they’ll have a new one, which sounds like it’s on the way already.
Yeah it does seem with the mRNA we'll have ever changing boosters, which is good. And I think it was kind of a dumb question because there's no 6-month planning that's concrete with this whole situation, constantly changing.

I'm wondering if they'll do mRNA flu vaccines. It may mean that the vaccine can be more representative of what flu is spreading that year.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would guess annually like flu shots.
But why? They went to 6 months because the antibodies from the vaccine seem to last less than 6 months. So a year would be pretty far off for at risk groups.

Although if we do end up with Omicron style variants that are less dangerous maybe it isn't as much of an issue and vaccines won't be as important.

----

And in other weird data points, our 20something engineers in our office that are vaccinated are starting to get breakthrough infections. Symptoms extremely mild but the bigger issue is being in quarantine hell for a few days.

PCR & Rapid tests filled with either false positives or false negatives, probably due to mild case.

rick81721

Lothar
But why? They went to 6 months because the antibodies from the vaccine seem to last less than 6 months. So a year would be pretty far off for at risk groups.

Although if we do end up with Omicron style variants that are less dangerous maybe it isn't as much of an issue and vaccines won't be as important.

----

And in other weird data points, our 20something engineers in our office that are vaccinated are starting to get breakthrough infections. Symptoms extremely mild but the bigger issue is being in quarantine hell for a few days.

PCR & Rapid tests filled with either false positives or false negatives, probably due to mild case.

Immunity is more than just antibody levels. They are basically just flailing in the direction of sooner is better until there is more data.

Captain Brainstorm

I'm wondering if they'll do mRNA flu vaccines. It may mean that the vaccine can be more representative of what flu is spreading that year.
Current vaccine is better than mRNA because its more stable. Problem with the flu is that it mutates so rapidly and there is a third species of animal (pig) that acts a mixing vessel between species. The vaccine is based on what is emerging in Asia 6mo prior to our flu season, because that's where the new strains come from. One of my graduate professors helped the CDC come up with the vaccine every year.

Immunity is more than just antibody levels. They are basically just flailing in the direction of sooner is better until there is more data.

There is memory T-Cells in addition to antibodies, and those are not measured, but equally as important. We don't even have 1.5yr data from the clinical trials, so everything the talking head and Faucci's of the world do is flailing.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Current vaccine is better than mRNA because its more stable. Problem with the flu is that it mutates so rapidly and there is a third species of animal (pig) that acts a mixing vessel between species. The vaccine is based on what is emerging in Asia 6mo prior to our flu season, because that's where the new strains come from. One of my graduate professors helped the CDC come up with the vaccine every year.

There is memory T-Cells in addition to antibodies, and those are not measured, but equally as important. We don't even have 1.5yr data from the clinical trials, so everything the talking head and Faucci's of the world do is flailing.
Well that's why I'm wondering if the mRNA vaccine would help. While the conventional vaccine would be 6 months before and a guess, it's possible that 2 months before they can do an mRNA vaccine of an update for a new strain that has taken hold.

But with that, I would think the injection would be a combination of 6 month old vaccine and 2 month old mRNA update.

Not a virologist.

Captain Brainstorm

Well that's why I'm wondering if the mRNA vaccine would help. While the conventional vaccine would be 6 months before and a guess, it's possible that 2 months before they can do an mRNA vaccine of an update for a new strain that has taken hold.

But with that, I would think the injection would be a combination of 6 month old vaccine and 2 month old mRNA update.

Not a virologist.
There are a lot of assumptions built into this that are a challenge, working for the industry I don't see 2mo happening. You have to identify a new strain, where the mutation/difference is, whether or not it impacts virulence/morbidity (nothing definitive for Omicron except hype and speculation so far), then scale it up, produce it, and distribute it.

rick81721

Lothar
Day after moderna booster of 2 doses of Pfizer. Moderna booster is half their regular dose. Good thing - my left shoulder is even more sore than after the 2nd Pfizer shot. Was really tired earlier today - almost fell asleep at mass - didn't help that the stand-in priest gave one of longest and most rambling homilys of all time. I felt like standing and singing, "Lord, I was born a ramblin' man!"

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Day after moderna booster of 2 doses of Pfizer. Moderna booster is half their regular dose. Good thing - my left shoulder is even more sore than after the 2nd Pfizer shot. Was really tired earlier today - almost fell asleep at mass - didn't help that the stand-in priest gave one of longest and most rambling homilys of all time. I felt like standing and singing, "Lord, I was born a ramblin' man!"

should have just fallen asleep and started snoring, that woulda made your point!

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Should have gotten the J&J

Top Bottom