This Thread Blows - C19 and beyond

mfennell

15 people at the house xmas eve. Everyone vaxxed except brother in law and my niece who had both contracted an earlier variant (b-i-l does his research, you know). Come Monday, my wife, her brother, and the niece were all hating life with flu-like symptoms.

It turns out that the (not present) girlfriend of someone at the party was positive but rapid tests on Monday came back negative for wife and I. B-i-l won't get tested. :rolleyes:

The COVIDs? Beats me. When I explained it to my dentist, the response was "um, let's reschedule".

THATmanMANNY

sucks to be sick with whatever. At least I’m functioning today but Keep getting kicked back upstairs when I come down to refill my water with a mask. Also, sleeping with cracks in the windows. Still anticipating my result email. It more a a damn inconvenience isolating but I bet my wife would prefer to be in this room rather than two kids and one we are potty training this week!

FTR I got the vax in summer but didn’t boost yet. Wife vax and boosted. Daughter recently received both first doses. No symptoms. Knock on wood.

Son, who is not vax eligible got rapid test this morning (negative) and waiting PCR too. They did say the flu is going around like crazy too.

Zaskar

Made plans back in September to ski Mont Tremblant over the break.. testing is required within 72 hours of arrival at the border which was tricky because of the surge in testing right and the holiday.

We tested Sunday (3hr wait) with a scheduled departure on Tuesday morning.. no results when we hit the road to leave but window was 24/36 to receive so we go as everyone is feeling great etc.

Got to Plattsburgh around 3:00 and stopped for lunch and a game plan change because we hadn't received the results nor had my sister's family. After lunch and mulling around it was about 5:00 my sister got her results then her kids then my wife and I got ours. All negative. My wife leaves with my sister and kids around 7:00 p.m. to get to the mountain. I get a hotel in Plattsburgh with my boys and head to a mart to get snacks. Walking in we get my younger son's results negative, great news ... Too bad we got the hotel I'm thinking. Next test comes in positive for my older son and game over. Spent the night in the hotel "sleeping" with KN95 masks and hit the road at 7:00 this morning. Hes experiencing some symptoms, stuffy nose, dry throat overall aches and pains.

I'll retest tomorrow or Friday

The cherry on the top....

IMG_20211229_085908.jpg

Last edited:

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
We spent four days over Christmas weekend at my brother's house in Columbus. Everyone was vaccinated except my four year old nephew, but not all were boosted. We got there Thursday evening, and all was well. Then my four year old nephew woke up coughing in the middle of the night, and he tested positive via a rapid test on Friday morning. Our options were to go home, isolate in a hotel, or say fuck it. I figured we were boosted and must have already been exposed, so we said fuck it, though my wife and I wore masks all weekend.

We had dinner plans Friday and Saturday, which obviously were canceled. We all just holed up in their house eating, drinking, and playing video games and ping pong. My brother was the first to fall. He was coughing on Saturday night and tested positive via rapid test on Sunday morning. He had the J&J vaccine, but I'm not sure which booster. Sunday night my parents started coughing and had fevers. They were Pfizer vaccinated, but no booster. Monday morning, my sister-in-law tested positive, and my seven year old nephew tested negative, though he was coughing quite a bit. He recently got the Pfizer pediatric vaccine, and my sister-in-law was J&J with no booster.

My wife and I are Pfizer vaccine and Pfizer booster, exactly two weeks before going out there. We rapid tested Monday morning negative and came home. My wife rapid tested negative yesterday in order to go to work, leaving only one test. She rapid tested negative again today, but now we are out of tests. I tried to get a PCR test twice today at my local pharmacy where I got the booster, but the line was crazy long out the door, so I'll try again tomorrow. Or I won't even bother.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
I posted in Norm’s thread… son tested positive right after we met with family with all sorts of pre-existing conditions. I took a first half of a rapid home test (comes in a pack of two). Surprised to be negative now - already. Going to test again tomorrow.

Family that we visited have been saying all quiet on the western front but only one has been boosted and it’s still early. They all plan to test end of the week.

Son has been up in his room isolated. Daughter in her hang out room in the house. All of us masked up in the house whenever we are around each other. Played Fortnite with the kids on a Discord call tonight. Watched the first Boba Fett episode with the windows open, distanced and masked. The most time I have spent with everyone in days. Masking because we were told to do so by the pulmonologist. Said it will avoid exchanging viral load… just in case. Now that I’m negative (if it’s even correct) it makes sense…? I don’t know and honestly don’t even care at this point.

Just waiting for the pink line to disappear for everyone.

On top of this I had to find a new job this month. My company made the news early this month. Not good news either. Well not my company, but an important (now former) employee of it. That sorta added to the stress… but since I’m in biotech, I had the opportunity to talk to a well-seasoned virologist during my interviews. He said omnicron is the one that “seals the deal” - that we all get this one. Was a really interesting conversation, anecdotal, but interesting.

Either way all symptoms are pretty much mild here. Running noses, headaches, upper respiratory sliminess/irritation, sore throats. My son had the worse symptoms, but his last jab was June. My daughter had her second in November and Kate and I got boosted in November, and our symptoms are much more mild than my son and I think some would claim asymptomatic for my wife. Interesting with the severity of symptoms and timing of jabs. Anecdotal again, but interesting. No asthma complications so far, so I’ll take it. IMHO vaccines are doing their job with us.

THATmanMANNY

3:20am, my sleep is all F’d up and running hot right now. I’m a light sleeper as it is.
I’m Sitting outside covered area of our house. Enjoying cooling off and the rain drops. I honestly think I could camp here and could sleep better out here with the constant fresh air. Windows are somewhat open but getting anxie. Anyone have a comfy twin to spare that they don’t care about?

mfennell

I tried to get a PCR test twice today at my local pharmacy where I got the booster, but the line was crazy long out the door, so I'll try again tomorrow. Or I won't even bother.
Between test availability and people not bothering (or actively resisting testing), I expect that a lot more cases will go uncounted this time around. So far, Omicron really is 'just like the flu' in severity, more or less, and how many people actually test for seasonal flu?

20,483 confirmed NJ cases Wednesday. How many couldn't get tests?

3 of my buddy's 4 member family (all vaxxed but only 1 boosted - she's neg and symptom free) are confirmed cases.

thegock

On top of this I had to find a new job this month. My company made the news early this month. Not good news either. Well not my company, but an important (now former) employee of it. That sorta added to the stress…

Wow, the CFO and the IR girl getting jiggy with Federal securities law. Guess they will now realize that you have to serve 85% of that sentence, just like the idiots on January 6, 2020.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Wow, the CFO and the IR girl getting jiggy with Federal securities law. Guess they will now realize that you have to serve 85% of that sentence, just like the idiots on January 6, 2020.
This guy burned so many people doing this. Needless to say I’m beyond pissed, disappointed, and had quite a few drinks this month while getting next steps lined up. Here’s to moving on to better things.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Between test availability and people not bothering (or actively resisting testing), I expect that a lot more cases will go uncounted this time around.

Yeah definitely. I'm pretty certain at this point that my wife and I don't have it, but my parents definitely do, as do my brother, his wife, and at least one of their kids. None of them got real tests, just the at home rapid tests, so none of them are counted.

@JimN your “local” pharmacy sounds small haha. Try like 250 people in front of you at a testing center. Took me 2.5hrs and arrived 30 before opening.

Compared to a testing center, yeah I'm sure. I don't care enough to stand in line for hours, but my situation is different. If I had symptoms, I would wait in line to know for sure.

It's funny, I made sure we got our boosters two weeks before going out to Columbus because I was worried about bringing covid to them.

Top Bottom