This really caught my eye just now...

w_b

...while I was ducking getting any real work done.

there's quite a few sizes and spec levels....

oh boy.

wow.jpg

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
That's a sweet looking ride, but if it ain't a fat bike or 27+, ain't no one here interested. I always liked the Enduro, but Spesh is too much $$$ for the spec I like, plus I like DW better than Horst. I'm also not a big fan of this trend of lengthening the front and shortening the rear, I prefer a more balanced wheelbase, more moderate reach and some length in the stays.

gtluke

The Moped
That's a sweet looking ride, but if it ain't a fat bike or 27+, ain't no one here interested. I always liked the Enduro, but Spesh is too much $$$ for the spec I like, plus I like DW better than Horst. I'm also not a big fan of this trend of lengthening the front and shortening the rear, I prefer a more balanced wheelbase, more moderate reach and some length in the stays.
wtf is wrong with you. they finally figure out how to make these stupid bikes handle nice and you're complaining!
but at the bike in question, F the horst. Once you ride a DW you'll never go back. It's a shame that Cannondal and Specialized are too proud to pay the fee for a rear suspension that actually works.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
wtf is wrong with you. they finally figure out how to make these stupid bikes handle nice and you're complaining!
but at the bike in question, F the horst. Once you ride a DW you'll never go back. It's a shame that Cannondal and Specialized are too proud to pay the fee for a rear suspension that actually works.

They're not shortening wheelbase, just adding it in front, taking it out of the back. A little better to monster truck through the rocks, but harder to weight the front wheel in corners, a little less maneuverable. Something around a 17" stay, 440 reach is the sweet spot for me, which is why I like the HD3, Tracer, and RFX so much. And DW rules, the real DW, not the split pivot. Cannondale needs to get with the times, so many bikes out there in the same price range that ride better.

gtluke

The Moped
I'm slowly learning how to handle the hd3 better and I'm leaning back more and driving the rear tire with my hips. The rear suspension is so good that I'm finding better handling by actually using it. With the 650b+ on the front it gets even more interesting.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I'm slowly learning how to handle the hd3 better and I'm leaning back more and driving the rear tire with my hips. The rear suspension is so good that I'm finding better handling by actually using it. With the 650b+ on the front it gets even more interesting.

That's something I've been thinking about trying for shits and giggles, putting 26 on the back, see what happens. It will slacken the head, drop my bb a little. To be honest, I like the way the bike handles now, but I may tinker.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I'm super interested in a short travel + FS. Like 80-100mm. The new Anthem is close but only fits a 2.6 in the rear and not a true plus tire.

Do they even make bikes in this category? It seems like the current crop of + bikes are made for former enduro-wanna-be's. People who realized that a 160mm bike isn't making them clear those technical bits as easily as the magazine reviews made it seem, so they slap + tires on 140mm bikes and re-market them. What niche does a 80-100mm travel + bike fill in the marketing world of the bike mfgs?

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Do they even make bikes in this category? It seems like the current crop of + bikes are made for former enduro-wanna-be's. People who realized that a 160mm bike isn't making them clear those technical bits as easily as the magazine reviews made it seem, so they slap + tires on 140mm bikes and re-market them. What niche does a 80-100mm travel + bike fill in the marketing world of the bike mfgs?

Spot on. It's hard to sell people on less travel unless you're talking about racing, SS or fat.

The new anthem sx is 110 front hub and 148 rear hub boost spacing. That wouldn't be enough for a 3.0 tire? Truth is I wouldn't mind a 2.6 tire in the back as long as I can go 3.0 up front.

Top Bottom