This is F'd up.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
MONTERREY, Mexico (AP) -- A car plowed into a weekend bike race along a highway near the U.S.-Mexico border, killing one and injuring 10 others, police said.

The 28-year-old driver was apparently drunk and fell asleep when he crashed into the race, said police investigator Jose Alfredo Rodriguez.

A photograph taken by a city official showed bicyclists and equipment being hurled high into the air by the collision.

Rodriguez said Juan Campos was charged with killing Alejandro Alvarez, 37, of Monterrey.

Authorities said the wreck happened 15 minutes into the 34-kilometer (21 mile) race Sunday along a highway between Playa Bagdad and Matamoros, across from Brownsville, Texas.

Campos said he is an American citizen living in Brownsville. The U.S. Consulate could not immediately confirm that.

"We are looking into the incident in terms of whether American citizens were involved," consulate spokesman Todd Huizinga said.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/americas/06/02/mexico.bikers.ap/index.html

Attachments

• art.bikerace.cnn.jpg
    art.bikerace.cnn.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 204

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
you beat me to it!
I was just reading my local Mex newspaper....fakking terrible....about 3hrs away from my home town.

2995818.jpg

anrothar

entirely thrilled
wow! fwiw, most mexican drivers were WWAAAAYYY more considerate of me on a bike when touring baja than americans have ever been. at one point, a trucker that passed me close on a twisty downhill, to the point where i had to drop onto the soft shoulder, actually STOPPED his truck on the downhill and got out to make sure i was ok. mexican drivers, except that twonk, ar ok in my books.

crash_in_nj

What is that on the head of the guy sitting in the foreground? It almost looks like the remains of a helmet. He looks like the guy who is upside down on the left side of the car in the picture taken as the accident happened.

CrossAddict

That is the craziest sh** I've ever seen. That is a nightmare of mine that some crap like that could happen.

HOLY !

:scared:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wow that's awful.

Sean - did you note in the story that the driver is reportedly an American living in Mexico?

elzoller

El Guac-Oh
bigger pic

yeah, he is an American citizen but he is more Mexican than Guacamole, "Juan Campos ".

The newspaper says he was drunk and stoned. He was traveling with a lady that was also drunk. They interrogated the lady and she claims she told the guy they shouldn't be driving.

I wonder if the cop car next to the cyclists could've done something, like cutting the guy off...

my Dad sent me a bigger version of the pic Kirt posted
chuza.jpg

bozizle

Gta4

Hopefully this doesn't come across as bad taste but it really reminded me of something out of Grand Theft Auto 4.....

Attachments

• cyclist_car_crash_gta.jpg
    cyclist_car_crash_gta.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 131

NickDavid

you should be ashamed of yourself.

don't worry, i chuckled.

what a horrible scene... saw this on the news this morning.

walter

Fourth Party
i still can not believe what i am seeing in that photo. did anyone get killed?

MONTERREY, Mexico (AP) -- A car plowed into a weekend bike race along a highway near the U.S.-Mexico border, killing one and injuring 10 others, police said.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
that is one of those awful things you dont want to look at but cant take your eyes away from

anrothar

entirely thrilled
at least we can rest happy with the knowledge that the mexican cops probably weren't too gentle with him.....:getsome:

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
at least we can rest happy with the knowledge that the mexican cops probably weren't too gentle with him.....:getsome:

"Campos said he is an American citizen living in Brownsville. The U.S. Consulate could not immediately confirm that."

I hope so with this line I could see him coming back to the US and getting community service and points on his license...

Top Bottom