This is a crack right?

pkovo

I know it is, it follows the weld, and seems pretty clean, just but bums me out. Just tuned it up today after not riding for a while. Was clowning around around the house doing some trialsy stuff and saw it when I finished.

I have been chasing a creak for a while though, so guessing I likely did it earlier, and perhaps rear wheel hops made it more noticeable. Who knows.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

pkovo

I'll try and source the part, but I got the frame used so no warranty. Although I haven't had it all that long, I have ridden it pretty hard so I guess it goes with the territory. It wasn't expensive either.

pkovo

Ride it til it breaks all the way.

I would like to, but my better judgement tells me it's a bad idea. My luck it will let go when I'm hauling a$$ through some rocks.

I did a few more rear wheel hops and some bunny hops after I noticed it to see if it would change....and it didn't. At least not that I could tell anyway.

sundaydoug

I'll try and source the part, but I got the frame used so no warranty. Although I haven't had it all that long, I have ridden it pretty hard so I guess it goes with the territory. It wasn't expensive either.

Even if it's out of warranty you can likely get a shop to order a new chainstay. Won't be free, but alloy chainstays usually aren't that pricey.

LukeW

I know it is, it follows the weld, and seems pretty clean, just but bums me out. Just tuned it up today after not riding for a while. Was clowning around around the house doing some trialsy stuff and saw it when I finished.

I have been chasing a creak for a while though, so guessing I likely did it earlier, and perhaps rear wheel hops made it more noticeable. Who knows.

View attachment 121671View attachment 121672View attachment 121673View attachment 121674
I’m guessing it’s a Trek from the tire from the tire and that its aluminum but anyway I have a Santa Cruz highball and one day I noticed a hairline crack in the chainstay pretty similar to your story, definitely some sort of defect that worsened and definitely a warranty thing. So I emailed Santa Cruz and they hooked me up with a new frame completely free shipped within a week. And I’ve heard that trek has a very good customer service as well so I would advise going that route.

grilledcheeseking

I’m guessing it’s a Trek from the tire from the tire and that its aluminum but anyway I have a Santa Cruz highball and one day I noticed a hairline crack in the chainstay pretty similar to your story, definitely some sort of defect that worsened and definitely a warranty thing. So I emailed Santa Cruz and they hooked me up with a new frame completely free shipped within a week. And I’ve heard that trek has a very good customer service as well so I would advise going that route.
Yep, trek took care of me in the past.

pkovo

Not a Trek. It's a brand that NO shops here in the US deal with....Ghost. REI is the sole US distributor, and I have nothing against REI for some things, but a bike shop they are not. When I tried to get a spare derailleur hanger from them, You woulld have thought I asked for a flux capacitor. The guy needed time to figure it out and ultimately called me back and left a VM saying I should just look for one online. The sole Canadian dealer sells them online, but not to the US. I contacted Ghost directly and asked them to sell me one, and to their credit, they just threw one in the mail. The guy was apologetic actually.

I emailed the company again yesterday about the cracked chainstay and basically asked if they have any rear triangles in stock to sell me, so we'll see what happens. Hopefully they have some stock left. I don't know though, it's a 2016 non-boost.

I bought the frame used on here for....whats the saying..."pennies on the dollar" so I can't get too upset. I do like it, but it's my first full suspension bike so I don't have much for comparison.

I thought about having it welded, but then I read online that with the heat treating it's never as strong and you don't know if it will fail again etc., so not sure if that's a good idea. If I can't get a new rear triangle, I'll probably just look for a suitable replacement frame, again for "pennies on the dollar". Non-boost frames are so yesterday, I should be able to find a deal :)

pkovo

Ghost responded, rear triangles available, but I'll have to go through REI. Sounds like REI should have a process for this so hopefully it will be easy, but if not they told me to ping them back directly if I run into snags.

So short of them charging me something ridiculous for it, I'm feeling pretty good about the prospects.

Mr.Moto

Ghost responded, rear triangles available, but I'll have to go through REI. Sounds like REI should have a process for this so hopefully it will be easy, but if not they told me to ping them back directly if I run into snags.

So short of them charging me something ridiculous for it, I'm feeling pretty good about the prospects.
Hopefully you can do it with REI online. They just announced stores closed for two weeks

Top Bottom