This Day in History (Post up past events relative to the current date)

serviceguy

I don't think so, I don't know how many hours they WERE working, they wanted to make it 11 hours a day, from what I don't know.
But were only given 12 a day + Sat.in the deal
Apparently they were working 13 hrs/day 6 days/week. The employers ‘gave’ 12 hrs/day non-fri and ‘only’ 9 hrs on sat. So magnanimous. I guess different times. I wonder if 200 years from now our working condition will be considered abusive, after all there’s a lot of people living what could be considered an absurdly luxurious and extravagant life style (especially given what they produce, but I ‘m not getting in the argument right now) which by then maybe considered as a given. On the other hand there still plenty of people leaving completely unnecessarily a squalid life style as of today.

Kaleidopete

The Burr–Hamilton duel between the former Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton and sitting Vice President Aaron Burr,
occurred, July 11, 1804 in present-day Weehawken, New Jersey. Burr shot and fatally wounded Hamilton.
Hamilton was carried to the home of William Bayard on the Manhattan shore, where he died at 2:00 pm the next day
217261195_4054352331326563_7854410300123120228_n.jpg

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The Burr–Hamilton duel between the former Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton and sitting Vice President Aaron Burr,
occurred, July 11, 1804 in present-day Weehawken, New Jersey. Burr shot and fatally wounded Hamilton.
Hamilton was carried to the home of William Bayard on the Manhattan shore, where he died at 2:00 pm the next day
View attachment 162058
Too bad politicians don't practice this method anymore, it probably would make better circumstances for we the people 🙂

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

The 10th NJ Volunteer Infantry was created by an act of Congress, July 22, 1861
and by authority issued by the War Department. US Flag - 10th Regiment, NJ Volunteers
Notice the unique star arrangement as it wasn’t standardized until 1912
222223763_4084973248264471_4191065956506222906_n.jpg

Kaleidopete

Not actually today, but in a few days.
"In a way, the bronze plaque on the gate at the end of his driveway says it all:
Peter P. Gitto
Colonel, USAF Ret.
"FLYING TIGERS"
China, WW II
But it merely hints at the anecdotes that come pouring out from the 99-year-old
once you get him going on his experiences with barrel rolls and crash-landings as a
member of an elite pilot combat force in World War II.
The lifelong Franklin Lakes resident and decorated veteran of two wars
will be honored by the borough on his 100th birthday Tuesday." 8/10/21
safe_image.jpg

MMuller

8/10 Leo Fender's birthday. Didn't even play guitar! Pic is my 1950 double neck lap steel with one of the earliest Fender logos on the front. Fender beginnings. Also the day in 1927 Rickenbacker got the patent for what is considered the 1st electric guitar, the hawaiian fry pan lap steel. Imagine your ears hearing an electrified instrument for the 1st time. Fast forward 40 years to Hendrix at Monterey. Life changing inventions. Pictured is my 1934.

20210804_193248.jpgRik.jpgFender logo.jpg

Kaleidopete

Greystone Psychiatric Hospital in Parsippany-Troy Hills, opened, August 17, 1876.
The hospital was originally known as the New Jersey State Lunatic Asylum at Morristown.
It was renamed Greystone Park in 1924. The original Second Empire Victorian style building
layout was designed by Thomas Kirkbride, a noted physician of the 1800s.
To the disappointment of preservationists, demolition of the main building began in 2015.
239536101_4159599317468530_4837897985144762101_n.png

rick81721

Lothar
Greystone Psychiatric Hospital in Parsippany-Troy Hills, opened, August 17, 1876.
The hospital was originally known as the New Jersey State Lunatic Asylum at Morristown.
It was renamed Greystone Park in 1924. The original Second Empire Victorian style building
To the disappointment of preservationists, demolition of the main building began in 2015.
View attachment 165227

wifey used to talk about that place being in mental health care. There were over 7000 patients in there at one time!

ekuhn

View attachment 165227
Largest poured concrete structure when the building was built, until the Pentagon which was completed in 1943

Ive been in there for work. Kinda creepy.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I wonder how many were really crazy and how many were just dissidents. o_O

was very disturbing in there. had to visit a cousin, and an aunt. they were in transition from lockdown to half-way house.
so the people i saw were actually getting out! i can't imagine the other floors.

MMuller

View attachment 165227
CX race a bunch of years ago! With that spiral thing? Also where Woody Guthrie spent his final years.

rick81721

Lothar
August 20, 1983 - Summer JFK Jam in Philly:
  • The Police
  • Joan Jett & the Blackhearts
  • R.E.M
  • Madness
Hot day, hot tunes. Can you believe R.E.M only played 7 songs? They were the opening act & we didn't even know who they were!?

That place was a disaster for big concerts - we went to see Yes and Peter Frampton in the 70s and it was so overcrowded and hot we left. Turned out there were thousands of counterfeit tickets.

And it fun to remember seeing huge acts when they were just starting out. I saw Rush get booed off the stage at the Spectrum when they opened for Robin Trower.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That place was a disaster for big concerts - we went to see Yes and Peter Frampton in the 70s and it was so overcrowded and hot we left. Turned out there were thousands of counterfeit tickets.

And it fun to remember seeing huge acts when they were just starting out. I saw Rush get booed off the stage at the Spectrum when they opened for Robin Trower.

Tell us about the Vaudeville shows you saw.

Kaleidopete

Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area
September 1, 1965
. The park covers 70,000 acres, including 40 miles of the Delaware River
which was granted protected status as the Middle Delaware National Scenic River under the
National Wild and Scenic Rivers System. In New Jersey, the park includes historic sites and
communities in Montague, Walpack Center, the Van Campen's Inn, Millbrook Village, the Village
of Bevans/Peters Valley, and other historic homes and sites, many of which were abandoned in
the aftermath of the Tocks Island Dam Project (which was never constructed). In Pennsylvania,
the park includes the Marie Zimmerman House, which is open for events throughout the year.
There are also numerous waterfalls in both states, along with miles of trails.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area
September 1, 1965
. The park covers 70,000 acres, including 40 miles of the Delaware River
which was granted protected status as the Middle Delaware National Scenic River under the
National Wild and Scenic Rivers System. In New Jersey, the park includes historic sites and
communities in Montague, Walpack Center, the Van Campen's Inn, Millbrook Village, the Village
of Bevans/Peters Valley, and other historic homes and sites, many of which were abandoned in
the aftermath of the Tocks Island Dam Project (which was never constructed). In Pennsylvania,
the park includes the Marie Zimmerman House, which is open for events throughout the year.
There are also numerous waterfalls in both states, along with miles of trails.
A family friend who was a ball of fire, a true wing walker and barn stormer for real. She was the local ring leader in stopping the dam and for good reason. It was proposed that the project included multi lane highway off the yet built route 80 interstate would have plowed right through Blairstown. When I was a kid I can still remember a lot of homes that still stood over the otherside of the mountain. Blue mountian lakes had probably 300 houses alone which the hippies took over. That's when govt came in bulldozed them all down in the mid 70s. That's why you can adventure in those woods and still find paved driveways in middle of no where. Spent my youth hunting motoing and 4x4ing in those woods.

one piece crank

A family friend who was a ball of fire, a true wing walker and barn stormer for real. She was the local ring leader in stopping the dam and for good reason. It was proposed that the project included multi lane highway off the yet built route 80 interstate would have plowed right through Blairstown. When I was a kid I can still remember a lot of homes that still stood over the otherside of the mountain. Blue mountian lakes had probably 300 houses alone which the hippies took over. That's when govt came in bulldozed them all down in the mid 70s. That's why you can adventure in those woods and still find paved driveways in middle of no where. Spent my youth hunting motoing and 4x4ing in those woods.
We lost Camp Pahaquarra to that dam proposal. I'm going to put that area at the top of my Fat Tire Winter Exploration list (@mattybfat would love your local knowledge...)

Top Bottom