This Day in History (Post up past events relative to the current date)

Kaleidopete

June 3, 1945, after working around the clock seven days a week with many tests and disappointments,
the first supersonic ramjet missile in the world was successfully launched from what is now Island Beach State Park
in New Jersey. Propelled by rockets, it took off at approximately 1,300 miles per hour in a southeasterly direction
out over the Atlantic Ocean. In 1944, the U.S. Navy chose Island Beach for a special top secret war research project
to be supervised by Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory. It was given the code name “Bumblebee.”
102726729_2943163932445414_2507130791889207296_n.png

Kaleidopete

June 4, 1931, William G. Swann became the first American to fly a rocket-propelled aircraft in Atlantic City.
Swann, who was a stunt pilot, attached twelve solid-fuel rocket motors to his high-winged glider.
In front of a crowd of 2,000 people, Swann ignited just one rocket. The glider, from a standing start,
took off and flew 1,000 feet at an altitude of 200 feet.
This stunt was performed in part to promote himself and to advertise the Steel Pier amusement park
101842225_2944672612294546_4126125478689898496_n.jpg

Kaleidopete

July 27, 1864. Arabella Barlow, a Civil War nurse from Somerville, died in the service of her country
She had contracted typhus. She is buried in the old Somerville Cemetery, Somerville, NJ.
A marker at her grave reads: Born February 29,1824 in Somerville, New Jersey. Arabella Barlow served
as a nurse during the Peninsula, Antietam, and Gettysburg Campaigns. In 1861 she married Gen. Francis
Channing Barlow whom she twice nursed back to life from grievous wounds. She nursed at hospital sites
at Fredericksburg, Port Royal, White House, and City Point "with no thought but for those who were suffering and dying all around her.
110956973_3085258528235953_5662675981563882236_n.jpg

Mtbdog

Jimi Hendrix 11/27/42-09/18/70
Undisputed most innovative guitar player ever. Made the guitar the major force in music for the next 20 years. His combining of chords was ground breaking, along with the bending of the strings and playing the low notes with his thumb. And IMHO All Along The Watchtower is the prime example of his genius. RIP

qclabrat

On this day in 1997, I locked up my storage unit in Tempe, AZ, jumped in my '90 CRXsi with all of the essentials I could fit including my golf bag and two MTB's; a '90 something Balance and an '89 GT Timberline.

Headed back to Jersey for the summer as the company I worked for closed it's doors and my lease was up on my house. I took my time driving across the country mountain biking and listening to the Dead. Life was good as a late 20 something guy with a pocket full of money and absolutely no responsibilities.

23+ years later, I am still here in Jersey and wouldn't have traded it for the world. It's crazy how seemingly minor decisions in one's life can alter your path forever.

To keep this about bikes; below are photos of the bikes I had (Note: Not actually my personal bikes, but their doppelgangers.)

View attachment 125796

View attachment 125797
I had an 88, how's it even possible to fit two bikes much less anything else?

Kaleidopete

October 2, 1968, President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the National Trails System and Wild and Scenic Rivers acts.
The first two trails established under the National Trails System Act were the
Appalachian National Scenic Trail
and the Pacific Crest Trail. A portion of the Appalachian Trail runs through northern New Jersey and the
Washington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route National Historic Trail
also runs through the state. As part of the original Wild and Scenic Rivers act, eight rivers were designated as National Wild and Scenic Rivers (Clearwater, Eleven Point, Feather, Rio Grande, Rogue, St. Croix, Salmon, and Wolf). As of April 2019, the National System protects 13,412 miles of 226 rivers in 40 states and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. New Jersey has approximately 6,450 miles of river, of which 262.9 miles are designated as wild and scenic, including the Maurice Wild and Scenic River and Great Egg Harbor Scenic and Recreational River

MMuller

October 2, 1968, President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the National Trails System and Wild and Scenic Rivers acts.
The first two trails established under the National Trails System Act were the
Appalachian National Scenic Trail
and the Pacific Crest Trail. A portion of the Appalachian Trail runs through northern New Jersey and the
Washington-Rochambeau Revolutionary Route National Historic Trail
also runs through the state. As part of the original Wild and Scenic Rivers act, eight rivers were designated as National Wild and Scenic Rivers (Clearwater, Eleven Point, Feather, Rio Grande, Rogue, St. Croix, Salmon, and Wolf). As of April 2019, the National System protects 13,412 miles of 226 rivers in 40 states and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. New Jersey has approximately 6,450 miles of river, of which 262.9 miles are designated as wild and scenic, including the Maurice Wild and Scenic River and Great Egg Harbor Scenic and Recreational River
LBJ passed 224 pieces of legislation in his 5 years. An unthinkable accomplishment in government of last 10 years. National endowment of the arts, social security, Medicaid, cigarette warning label, civil rights voting act, list goes on and on. All with the chaos of Vietnam running in the background. His platform was called the "Great Society". Won by a landslide in 64 but was so beaten down by the war he didn't run for 68. Hello Tricky Dick.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Won by a landslide

LBJ had a myriad of health issues, he is lucky he survived his presidency, only to die young on our scale.
Some say he may have won with the sympathy vote.

He did have vision, and a solid moral compass, even if he over-reacted to communism in a foreign land.

Good article that that shows he knew when to STFU

I don't like the headline, but the story is solid.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
October 5 is Brian Johnson's birthday.

Top Bottom