This Day in History (Post up past events relative to the current date)

On this day in 1997, I locked up my storage unit in Tempe, AZ, jumped in my '90 CRXsi with all of the essentials I could fit including my golf bag and two MTB's; a '90 something Balance and an '89 GT Timberline.

Headed back to Jersey for the summer as the company I worked for closed it's doors and my lease was up on my house. I took my time driving across the country mountain biking and listening to the Dead. Life was good as a late 20 something guy with a pocket full of money and absolutely no responsibilities.

23+ years later, I am still here in Jersey and wouldn't have traded it for the world. It's crazy how seemingly minor decisions in one's life can alter your path forever.

To keep this about bikes; below are photos are photos of the bikes I had (Note: Not actually my personal bikes, but their doppelgangers.)

View attachment 125796

View attachment 125797

I have that green bike in my shed right now. Triple triangle tough!

Yesterday, 23 years ago, I heard about and met my wife for the 1st time. Which is wierd cause:

My brother knew her brother since 83'
I knew her brother from work since 85'
I worked in the same place as her, just in different areas.

And in all that time I never met her or heard about her, but we ended up meeting 23 years ago and now we're married 19 yrs.

Yes I'm old.

April 16, 1941 “You’ll Do Lobelia,” a Jersey cow who became a media sensation
by appearing as Borden’s cartoon character “Elsie the Cow” at the New York World’s Fair,
was fatally injured and had to be euthanized when her custom eighteen-wheeler “Cowdillac”
was hit from behind by another truck in Rahway, New Jersey. She is buried on the former
Walker-Gordon Farm (now a housing development) in Plainsboro. The farm is now long gone
and Elsie's true burial site has been lost, but this memorial to Elsie's memory remains protected,
a testament to her popularity in American culture.
94036115_2831041510324324_2921350855393280000_o.jpg

April 16, 1941 “You’ll Do Lobelia,” a Jersey cow who became a media sensation
by appearing as Borden’s cartoon character “Elsie the Cow” at the New York World’s Fair,
was fatally injured and had to be euthanized when her custom eighteen-wheeler “Cowdillac”
was hit from behind by another truck in Rahway, New Jersey. She is buried on the former
Walker-Gordon Farm (now a housing development) in Plainsboro. The farm is now long gone
and Elsie's true burial site has been lost, but this memorial to Elsie's memory remains protected,
a testament to her popularity in American culture.
View attachment 125843
Awesome Pete. Thats right by my home. I will certainly make a pass very soon.

On this night, the Dead opened up the spring tour of 1977, which was quite possibly the greatest stretch of shows the band ever performed. While May of ’77 gets the accolades, the April dates - starting with this one - are just as stratospheric. From the last first set Playin' to the mind-blowing Scarlet> Fire to the show-closing Terrapin, this night has it all in spades. Listen to the entire show and prepare for the greatness that will unfold over the next seven weeks in '77 at Grateful Dead of the Day: https://www.gratefuldeadoftheday.co...KOLeXFSUDyZL9MocQGGZ-0fmHqfhgaDUvB5EBMws9jFaM

With the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds flying over Shakedown before the show, the Dead added to the spectacle during the last night of the run at Irvine Meadows on this day back in 1988. The crowd chants for Phil and gets him on Box of Rain, Bobby goes all rock star on LLRain, and the boys finish off the night with a Quinn encore. Listen to the show and read about the El Toro Air Show - and the F/A-18 Hornet crash - that happened on this day at Grateful Dead of the Day: https://gratefuldeadoftheday.com/04-24-1988

Back
Top Bottom