Thinking of trying..

Blk06CompIRL

With daylight coming to an end i, like many of you, are running out of places to ride after work! From what i can tell this place is open till 8pm and from what i heard it is made up of rolling single track, but i have never been here. Before i go and drop even more money and buy lights to night ride wawayanda im thinking of visiting it some weekend this month to get a feel for it. I also curious to know if anyone rides here during the week as i would prefer not to night ride solo lol, this place is about 50 min from my job making my arrival time during week with a rough traffic estimate of 5:45pm wheels down 6pm. Night riding seems to be a very hush hush thing but im looking for legal spots to ride to get more time in.

Blair

I ride there some weekends when I'm in the area. Riding at night would be interesting because the park is huge, there are a lot of technical areas, its a tough ride when you can see. You will get lost if you don't do a bunch of day rides first, I used to get lost on day rides. They have a decent map at the ranger station and probably the trail directory on this site. You can do 25+ miles without riding the same trail twice.

Blk06CompIRL

I ride there some weekends when I'm in the area. Riding at night would be interesting because the park is huge, there are a lot of technical areas, its a tough ride when you can see. You will get lost if you don't do a bunch of day rides first, I used to get lost on day rides. They have a decent map at the ranger station and probably the trail directory on this site. You can do 25+ miles without riding the same trail twice.

that is true as well heard its huge, so riding with someone who knows it would be great lol life is so busy im trying to finalize what dates i will be getting up there and will keep everyone posted even if no one is interested in potential night rides. I should of started this planning last month lol.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Jungle Habitat might be better choice. I believe technically you can ride there till 8pm. It's also easier to navigate, better marked, smaller park, etc... Might be scary riding alone in the dark tho, lol. From what I can recall, there is a legal group ride going out of there in the evenings in the fall.

Last edited:

Blk06CompIRL

Jungle Habitat might be better choice. I believe technically you can ride there till 8pm. It's also easier to navigate, better marked, smaller park, etc... Might be scary riding alone in the dark tho, lol. From what I can recall, there is a legal group ride going out of there in the evenings in the fall.

I have thought about jungle i just heard it was a little rough, but something i am still willing to try. For the past month i have been riding at mahlon dickerson so its time to advance to some more advance terrain. No matter what i wont do any night riding anywhere with out a 2nd person, safety first!!

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
I've ridden both Waway & JH alot on night rides and I'd suggest you'd ride them much during the daylight hours first to get a feel for the lay of the land.

A little less bears in JH, if that's a factor.

Blk06CompIRL

I've ridden both Waway & JH alot on night rides and I'd suggest you'd ride them much during the daylight hours first to get a feel for the lay of the land.

A little less bears in JH, if that's a factor.

haha yeah deff will ride what i can during day or hike as well... bears are a small factor since i would be the riderin rear lol

Blair

jungle habitat is one big rock garden, so if you like the sound of metal against rocks and cruising around in granny gear, this place is for you. The loop around the big parking lot is smoother, but thats about it. It is very good practice for technical skills and balance at slow speeds. There's about 8 to 10 miles of trails and with the paved paths that go through it is easy to navigate. I've seen bears at wayway, they all just run away when I chase them. The only sketchy part is when you see a cub run across the trail you're riding on with no mom in sight.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Night riding seems to be a very hush hush thing but im looking for legal spots to ride to get more time in.

At some point around when daylight savings ends, I'm pretty sure Wawayanda is like Ringwood and the hours change from closing at 8pm to 6pm. Jungle is the only place I am aware of that is open til 8pm year round. As Jimmy mentioned, there was a legal Jorba night ride there last year. It was on Tuesday nights, and I presume that will be the case again this year, but I have no insider knowledge about that.

Blair

I don't think night riding is permitted anywhere, def not state parks. so yes its all hush hush

walter

Fourth Party
Why not try Chinmey Rock first? Its smaller so if you find yourself in an uncomfortable position, you are only a few minutes from the lot.

Blk06CompIRL

Why not try Chinmey Rock first? Its smaller so if you find yourself in an uncomfortable position, you are only a few minutes from the lot.

hmm i can look into that as well if they have late hours. never been there either but will consider it. going through all the park websites and sending emails takes time so i focused more on north jersey , but i believe im a hour from chimney as well.

Blair

chimney is open 30 minutes past sunset, its only 30 min drive for me in Livingston, Roseland shouldn't be an hour. with traffic it could be.

Blk06CompIRL

chimney is open 30 minutes past sunset, its only 30 min drive for me in Livingston, Roseland shouldn't be an hour. with traffic it could be.

hour is a rough guess as i would be leaving from little falls during the week. hmm 30 min past sunset only buys a little time which will graduallyget less and less but still an option

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
At some point around when daylight savings ends, I'm pretty sure Wawayanda is like Ringwood and the hours change from closing at 8pm to 6pm. Jungle is the only place I am aware of that is open til 8pm year round. As Jimmy mentioned, there was a legal Jorba night ride there last year. It was on Tuesday nights, and I presume that will be the case again this year, but I have no insider knowledge about that.

I was at Jungle today. On the board it says hours are 8am to 8pm through October. Starting November, hours change to 8am to 6pm.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Either my memory is bad or that's new. I wonder if the jorba night rides will be happening again this year.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions