Thinking of going 29er?!?!

larkin42

Well, after reading the constant message of all things 29er, I think I'm ready to drink the kool-aid. BUT, I have some concerns that I hope to get some help with. First off, I'm what the kids call a "Clyde" (6'2 250lbs), and I ride pretty hard, so I need something thats going to be able to take a beating. I'm looking for something in a Hardtail that can handle my weight and riding style. Also, are there things that I ned to keep an eye for? Can anyone give some advice to help a big fella out?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
you should 100% be on a 29er, based on your size alone. provided you're not looking for a single speed you should be good with most wheelsets for awhile. if you're looking for a deal, walter is selling his cannondale in the for sale forum. it's really well spec'd and at a size large may work well for you.

other than that, fisher, haro, niner, salsa, cannondale and many other companies make hardtail 29ers. ride many, choose wisely.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
take a look at walters bike, it's an excellent deal on an awesome bike. also, keep in mind that walter was hurt for a good part of this bikes life, and it really is in primo condition.

larkin42

I tested some Cannondale's, but the Lefty Suspension scares me a bit. Riding it around even just a little bit gave me the impression that at any time that thing was going to fold in half. Is that an irrational concern for someone my size?

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
You should check out Ventana's website. We have sold many custom Ventanas to larger riders. They can easily build something you could ride hard at your weight. The largest we sold was to a 6'5" 400lb rider.:eek: Cool (big) bike.

www.Ventanausa.com

Gary

Shaggz

A strong 7
I tested some Cannondale's, but the Lefty Suspension scares me a bit. Riding it around even just a little bit gave me the impression that at any time that thing was going to fold in half. Is that an irrational concern for someone my size?
Irrational concern. After 3 years, I still lament the loss of my Lefty.

Wobbegong

Look at the front wheel of a jet fighter.....

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd

Irrational...one of the stiffest fork designs out there.

don

I'm kinda in the same boat. After riding my SS and rigid 26" Rhygin at Hartshorne and feeling beat up I was rethinking my setup. I love the SS and rigid aspect and there have been a number of props for the bigger wheels all over including this site.

My current plan is to swap the front fork and wheel to 29" and keep the back 26" (96/69er). I've been wanting to convert my Rhygin to SS only and was thinking swapping out the vertical drops for some track style drops from Henry James. Depending on how they come out, I'm hoping I can get a 650B in the back.

At one point I was thinking getting a 29" frame and thought these would work for me (6', 220lbs)

http://sinisterbikes.com/simon_bar.php
http://www.qballbikes.com/

If you haven't yet - look over on MTBR.com's 29er and Clydesdale forums. I'm sure there are some people in the same boat.

And I know from hearing what people say and it makes mechanical sense that the C'dale Lefty is stiff but I couldn't ride one based on the looks of it alone. I think it's a little ugly but more than that, I would get freaked just having one side of a fork when looking down.

walter

Fourth Party

Yes, my bike is for sale, and for the record I'm not that smaller than you. As others have said you should have no concerns with a lefty.

Top Bottom