Things that make you smile :)

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
wasnt planning to take this bike in tomorrow, but now i will, cant wait to try em out, may at some point put them on with my powertap to get a comparison as to how they read (i like numbers, its an engineer thing . . .)
Both Shane Miller and DC Rainmaker have extensive reviews and copious amounts of data on them. They’re often used as a “control” when comparing other Power meters. Download the app, plug them in to “activate” them... check if any firmware updates are available... zero them out and your off.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Both Shane Miller and DC Rainmaker have extensive reviews and copious amounts of data on them. They’re often used as a “control” when comparing other Power meters. Download the app, plug them in to “activate” them... check if any firmware updates are available... zero them out and your off.

I read dcrainmaker review of them they are all set and ready to go inside excessive research before buying them

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
so i have a theory on pedal power vs chainring or hub - the sum of your pedal power is different, because if you don't lift
the raising leg, you get the power at the pedal, but not at the chainring or hub - it is consumed by the power needed to raise the off leg up.

i've been playing with pedal mechanics on the kickr and it looks to be 20-30 watts by just releasing the leg weight, not scraping or pulling up.

i'm a noob at this, so i would think some of the power people, @UtahJoe could comment - probably should start a thread. like a blog or something....(not a hint)
I bought this same set that @shrpshtr325 has about a month ago. I started with them on my road bike/trainer (cycleops power beam)...While it would make sense that they would read higher that the trainer (pedals vs tire) the trainer was actually a little higher than the pedals. Not sure why this is other than the trainer/pedals are using two totally different methods of calculating your power....I would have to read up on each and I have not. I have been doing power based intervals for 10 years now, so I have a good sense of my power numbers, the pedals seem very similar to the numbers I would get out of my two old (now dead) powertap hubs.

The L/R power balance in practice has been rather useless....It was neat to first learn that when im doing an interval I did it at 51/49 favoring my left leg....Now after many sets, its always the same and never changes. 51/49

But I wouldn't worry about the small changes in the numbers when you mess with your pedaling stroke....Just make the numbers go higher, and keep them up there.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I bought this same set that @shrpshtr325 has about a month ago. I started with them on my road bike/trainer (cycleops power beam)...While it would make sense that they would read higher that the trainer (pedals vs tire) the trainer was actually a little higher than the pedals. Not sure why this is other than the trainer/pedals are using two totally different methods of calculating your power....I would have to read up on each and I have not. I have been doing power based intervals for 10 years now, so I have a good sense of my power numbers, the pedals seem very similar to the numbers I would get out of my two old (now dead) powertap hubs.

The L/R power balance in practice has been rather useless....It was neat to first learn that when im doing an interval I did it at 51/49 favoring my left leg....Now after many sets, its always the same and never changes. 51/49

But I wouldn't worry about the small changes in the numbers when you mess with your pedaling stroke....Just make the numbers go higher, and keep them up there.

you think they are smart enough to calculate delivered power, which would subtract the off side?
or are you looking at those polar graphs for each foot?

anybody check the new raceface bb based meter?

https://www.raceface.com/products/microsite/power-meter-microsite/

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
you think they are smart enough to calculate delivered power, which would subtract the off side?
or are you looking at those polar graphs for each foot?

anybody check the new raceface bb based meter?

https://www.raceface.com/products/microsite/power-meter-microsite/

yes they can calculate delivered power(torque effectiveness), they do it as an efficiency number(percent), which is the amount of power used to propel the bike, (and subracting what is used to push your foot up), theoretically it is possible to get 100% but i havent ridden with them. I will have to pair up my phone with one of the two and take a ride to have a comparison, maybe ill use dcrainmakers comparison tool, but then i already have excel.
https://cycling.favero.com/shop/dual-sided-powermeter-assioma-duo

the raceface is neat, would be good on a mtn bike IMO, but i kinda of like the idea of being able to swap from bike to bike easily (spindle/crank/spider ect not so easily done)

this purchase did carry the 'burden' of buying a set of pedals that worked with the same cleats for my other road bike (since i already have the powertap on that bike) but $40 was a minor cost. note: i have two sets of SPD-SL pedals and 2 sets of usable cleats (one set brand new) available for anyone who is interested. Make me an offer!

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just read this. Looks like a good way to get started with this power nonsense.

if you want power definitely read his reviews of the different options, there are certainly cheaper ways to get in (i started with a used powertap) but from there you just want more (or at least my numbers driven mind does. . . )

these actually give some pretty cool information when you look back in garmin connect (strava doesnt display pedaling metrics :( ) ill have to see if theres an easy way to get the polar graphs to look at (pedaling efficiency and smoothness ect) Ill have to figure out how to use it all to my advantage now . . . .hmmmmm

rick81721

Lothar
if you want power definitely read his reviews of the different options, there are certainly cheaper ways to get in (i started with a used powertap) but from there you just want more (or at least my numbers driven mind does. . . )

these actually give some pretty cool information when you look back in garmin connect (strava doesnt display pedaling metrics :( ) ill have to see if theres an easy way to get the polar graphs to look at (pedaling efficiency and smoothness ect) Ill have to figure out how to use it all to my advantage now . . . .hmmmmm

Pedals seem so much easier than changing cranks. Where'd you buy them? Does this turn into a rabbit hole of information overload?

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Pedals seem so much easier than changing cranks. Where'd you buy them? Does this turn into a rabbit hole of information overload?

i bought them from clevertraining (https://www.clevertraining.com/) shipped usps got them in like 2 or 3 business days. Yes it could easily turn into a rabbit hole of information overload, which if you ride for fun and not to compete is probably not worth it. . . . (im weird in that i like data and metrics :/)

if you want to take a look at what it gives you lmk ill get you the garmin connect link for yesterdays ride

Kaleidopete

March 30, 1950 Bell Telephone Laboratories in Murray Hill, NJ (Union County) announced the invention of the phototransistor.
This was a transistor operated by light rather than electric current, invented by Dr. John Northrup Shive. Today, phototransistors
can be found in a variety of applications in the computer, consumer, and medical industries.

56262543_2111121905649625_7712356173655048192_n.jpg

shrpshtr325

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Any review yet?

so far they seem to be good, got 5 rides on them (I think), they seem to agree with my powertap (but I still haven't gotten a second recording device setup to do a true comparison). so my only complaint is just the different feel when clipping in (I was using shimano SPD-SLs before this) and that's just an adjustment thing which I am sure will go away over time. text me if you have any specific questions.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
so far they seem to be good, got 5 rides on them (I think), they seem to agree with my powertap (but I still haven't gotten a second recording device setup to do a true comparison). so my only complaint is just the different feel when clipping in (I was using shimano SPD-SLs before this) and that's just an adjustment thing which I am sure will go away over time. text me if you have any specific questions.

Same here with the “feel” vs SPD’s. Feels, I don’t know....“sloppy”? if you know what I mean. Cleat size is also so much smaller it took several attempts until I got the “position” just right. I’m fully acclimated now so it’s all good. They’re essentially xpedio’s and will work with look cleats with some “fiddling”. When I wear these out I’ll give those a try.

rick81721

Lothar
Same here with the “feel” vs SPD’s. Feels, I don’t know....“sloppy”? if you know what I mean. Cleat size is also so much smaller it took several attempts until I got the “position” just right. I’m fully acclimated now so it’s all good. They’re essentially xpedio’s and will work with look cleats with some “fiddling”. When I wear these out I’ll give those a try.

They come with cleats, right? Any data quirks noted?

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
They come with cleats, right? Any data quirks noted?

Yes, cleats included.... they’re just different enough from SPDs to require an “adjustment” period. Data wise? Flawless. Super simple to set up/update via their app too. They even give you the Allen key to install them (it’s a standard 8mm btw). Not the prettiest things in the world... still better looking than the P1/P2’s IMO.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Grubhub makes me smile. Discovering that it's available in Parsippany is perhaps both the best and worst thing to happen to me recently.

Kaleidopete

There is an original Lincoln Highway marker on Route 27 in Princeton Township, Conceived in 1912 by Indiana entrepreneur Carl G. Fisher,
and formally dedicated October 31, 1913, the Lincoln Highway ran coast-to-coast from Times Square in New York City west to Lincoln Park
in San Francisco, California. The name, "The Lincoln Highway" was gradually replaced with numbered designations after the establishment
of the U.S. Numbered Highway System in 1926.

The Lincoln Highway Association was established in 1913 to promote the road using private and corporate donations. As one of its last acts
before the association disbanded, it installed 2,436 of these markers on September 1, 1928. Many of them were installed by local Boy Scout troops.

After more than 90 years since their placement, some markers remain at their original positions, but not many.
Others have been relocated. Many are gone, lost forever to road enhancements or neglect. The Princeton marker is
believed to be the last original marker in New Jersey. A few years ago, replacement markers were installed in Metuchen
and Edison along Route 27 (The Lincoln Highway)

56811482_2123511371077345_8051650399536414720_n.jpg

Top Bottom