Things that make you frown :(

Kaleidopete

My Garmin 530 today, was working fine for about 70 min. at 9° air temp but it was colder with wind chill.
Then it shut down and when I tried restart it would come on and say 49% power and then shut down again.
I removed it from handlebars and put it in my pocket. A half mile later I removed it from my pocket and started it up again.
It was in square red mode asking to save ride, I hit the start button and it went green and started recording the ride again.
I put it back in my pocket for the remainder of my ride. Back home it recorded most of my ride, with a glitch where it shut down
and then was restarted. I lost about 15 min. of my recorded ride. These are supposed to work in cold damn it. :mad:

serviceguy

And to rub it in real raw, passing said roofer on 23 south this morning while he was on vacation at Killington...at least now he' 'possibly' stopping by on Sunday...

I just realized I frown a lot theses days, get start of the new year so far...
Triple backflip frown, the roof is not leaking but excessive hot air gets through the ceiling and condensate under the just replaced roof. If not taken care of will mold again. Gable vents are going in the sides as soon as the temperature is above freezing. Some kind of climate control may have to be installed which would be areal bummer because bringing electricity to that area, in addition to requiring a permit would be a real PIA, FML.

iman29

Lent my SUV to the middle son so he could work a gig with his friends band he’s their technical manager. While loading up the equipment it seems something made contact with the rear tailgate window and it shattered. The fact it’s 20F outside probably didn’t help.

Since my side of the garage is filled with too much crap had to move the wife’s minivan out to the driveway to use her side.

Glad no one was hurt but FML. Goes to the shop Tuesday. 😖

View attachment 175606

Well this ended up as an un-frown. All fixed Tuesday morning and the bands manager is going to cover the full cost.

Middle son took it to safelite at 8am and was out the door at 9:15.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

serviceguy

Is there a ridge vent?
Nope it's an addition with roof vents near the top of the new roof where it joins the old roof. In my oprion two issues with that:

1 - the area above the vents doesn't get any air flow, it's minimal but still...
2 - the vast majority of the flow is channeled by the rafters, so I picture there entire sections of the roof that don't see much air flow at all.

The roofer is going to install a gable vent on each side of the attic to create some cross ventilation. I'm probably going to add an access to the attic to see what's going on and gain some storage area in the process.

The picture below is from google map and shows the old roof, it's the same but now it has 4 vents instead of 3, dashed line is the two roofs junction, the arrows show where the gable vents are going to be installed.

roof.JPG

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Nope it's an addition with roof vents near the top of the new roof where it joins the old roof. In my oprion two issues with that:

1 - the area above the vents doesn't get any air flow, it's minimal but still...
2 - the vast majority of the flow is channeled by the rafters, so I picture there entire sections of the roof that don't see much air flow at all.

The roofer is going to install a gable vent on each side of the attic to create some cross ventilation. I'm probably going to add an access to the attic to see what's going on and gain some storage area in the process.

The picture below is from google map and shows the old roof, it's the same but now it has 4 vents instead of 3, dashed line is the two roofs junction, the arrows show where the gable vents are going to be installed.

View attachment 176013

Soffit vents in the front?

are there penetrations that you can identify where "moist" air is getting out of the house into the attic space?

Might just seal the light fixtures. blow in some loose fill insulation while putting in the gable vents.

I'm resisting fire. ;)

serviceguy

Soffit vents in the front?

are there penetrations that you can identify where "moist" air is getting out of the house into the attic space?

Might just seal the light fixtures. blow in some loose fill insulation while putting in the gable vents.

I'm resisting fire. ;)
Soffit vents are in the front, accidentally (or maybe not), I replaced the the soffit boards and extended the venting on the right of the house, then decided to do the left at a later time. The dripping is on the left. Maybe related?

Only 7 light fixtures between the dining room and the soffit, definitely not sealed at all. Some insulation on top of the t&g boards of the ceiling, lots of knots in the wood and gaps so that's where the hot air get through, no doubt. As of now the plan is to install one of those attic ladders and use the attic as additional storage (desperately needed). Possibly install a vapor barrier and install proper insulation. Maybe bring a couple of outlets and alight fixture. I will have to get my first building permit then.

If I had money for a new house fire would definitely be the option I would go for, this house has been so much more trouble than what I envisioned when I was trying to convince my wife not to buy it. Location is great though.

Top Bottom