Things that make you frown :(

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Looking in the rear view mirror and seeing all this smoke, then looking ahead and realizing there's none there. Hey it's my truck that's smoking, should I stop? Nah, if I stop then maybe I won't make it home. 😁 Made it within 5 miles before the trans started to slip and I had to stop. Leaking trans cooler line, so threw in some fluid and made it home. Hopefully now on to the things that make you smile thread in a few days.
I'm calling the time of death on the @Patrick GMC. After spending the last few days replacing the leaking brake and fuel lines everything looked good to go. Took it out for a test drive and I think that limping it home when the trans lines were leaking hurt the trans. Won't shift into 2nd and 4th without really lifting. Wish I could have figured this out before spending the last few days under it and having my eyes filled with rust flakes. :mad:

If anyone wants it let me know, otherwise going to the scrapyard. Sad day.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
capping it is a theoretical option but would require taking apart the pipes and i dont see a union in the line that would make that a reasonable or efficient option.

cut it, then unscrew, cap. if you can get the water to drip where you want, don't mess with it.
probably won't explode. couple psi of steam is not to be messes with.

Patrick

Staff member
I'm calling the time of death on the @Patrick GMC. After spending the last few days replacing the leaking brake and fuel lines everything looked good to go. Took it out for a test drive and I think that limping it home when the trans lines were leaking hurt the trans. Won't shift into 2nd and 4th without really lifting. Wish I could have figured this out before spending the last few days under it and having my eyes filled with rust flakes. :mad:

part it out in your driveway!

those back parts are plastic, someone has to want them.
and that engine! vroom.

what do they give you for a truck at the scrap yard? it is pandemic pricing, someone will buy it.

RIP.
i'm sad.

ps - i sold them metro for more than i sold the truck to you :D
metro needed less work.

serviceguy

That is what the roofer told the last person, and why you are replacing wood.
Inspector makes sure things are done correctly. a couple hundred well spent.
I don't think this is the case here, the roofer did not add or change anything really just replaced whatever moldy material he found, not sure why he would need a permit for that.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's

I have to imagine in this market someone will buy it?

But like Patrick said, part it out. THEN scrap it.

Patrick

Staff member
I don't think this is the case here, the roofer did not add or change anything really just replaced whatever moldy material he found, not sure why he would need a permit for that.

I see the rules changed in NJ in 2018 - used to be a fixed price to inspect a roof in our town, not a percentage of the job cost.
if there was a change, you'd pull a roof permit, and a change permit so only a percentage of change was calculated.

What I'm saying is that the last person did it without a permit, and the roofer didn't put the ice dam material on. Something that is inspected.
As you said, they cut corners, you are paying for it. if they had a permit, this would not be the case. sucks.
Builder can write it up lower cost than it is to save $$
I still think inspections protect you against less than honest contractors.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
I would but not really sure what to part out. It has over 290K miles on it and seems like it is now consuming coolant. Do I just put an ad on Craigslist ?

serviceguy

I see the rules changed in NJ in 2018 - used to be a fixed price to inspect a roof in our town, not a percentage of the job cost.
if there was a change, you'd pull a roof permit, and a change permit so only a percentage of change was calculated.

What I'm saying is that the last person did it without a permit, and the roofer didn't put the ice dam material on. Something that is inspected.
As you said, they cut corners, you are paying for it. if they had a permit, this would not be the case. sucks.
Builder can write it up lower cost than it is to save $$
I still think inspections protect you against less than honest contractors.
I do agree on the principle and I wish that would have been the case when they did the older roof (or any other part of the house, it's been the gift that keeps on giving).

The old roof must have been built about 15/20 years ago (according to the nosy neighbor that is slowly disclosing horror details about our house past history), I actually removed the stump of the tree that took down the front of the house and prompted the build of the front addition. So far we have replaced the entire subfloor, part of the perimeter walls and now the roof... the gift that keeps on giving! I may have to build another El Mariachi to get over this one...

Patrick

Staff member
I would but not really sure what to part out. It has over 290K miles on it and seems like it is now consuming coolant. Do I just put an ad on Craigslist ?

i bet the title is worth something. cause you know....

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
cut it, then unscrew, cap. if you can get the water to drip where you want, don't mess with it.
probably won't explode. couple psi of steam is not to be messes with.

residential steam for heat is 1psi max nothing will explode, even leaving it as is, the only thing that would happen is that my counter would get a shower each time the heat comes on. I have it wrapped in plumber recommended style to make it so i can still run it and minimize damage to the surrounding materials.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim

If anyone has a 1999-2006 GMC Sierra 1500 (or any of the below), I have a brand new in box set of rotor and ceramic pads from Rock Auto that I will let go REAL cheap. 🤣

CENTRIC 90566017 Select Pack

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=8262624&pt=13824&jsn=7

CADILLACESCALADE2002-2006
CHEVROLETASTRO2003-2005
CHEVROLETAVALANCHE 15002002-2006
CHEVROLETEXPRESS 15002003-2008
CHEVROLETEXPRESS 25002003-2006
CHEVROLETSILVERADO 15001999-2006
CHEVROLETSILVERADO 1500 CLASSIC2007
CHEVROLETSUBURBAN 15002000-2006
CHEVROLETTAHOE2000-2006
GMCSAFARI2003-2005
GMCSAVANA 15002003-2008
GMCSAVANA 25002003-2006
GMCSIERRA 15001999-2006
GMCSIERRA 1500 CLASSIC2007
GMCYUKON2000-2006
GMCYUKON XL 15002000-2006
Please refer to catalog for application details.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Craigslist or Facebook Market place.

It's also a matte of what your sanity is worth. Scrapper comes and picks it up as opposed to possibly weirdos wasting your time.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have an offer for $500. Seems fair.
FYI, was talking to my boss who scrapped our 2008 or so pickup.

They got paid $600 from the scrapyard, picking it up. They cut out the cat and pay for that first, then weight the truck for the rest.

If someone is coming by to give you $500 I'd go with that.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Who was the mechanic?

I put the tire on if thats what you mean. . . . that was the factory I9 tape, the tire was installed in July and held fine until this week . . . . no f-ing clue how it happened without me touching the tire.

p.s. i took the tire off from the other bead first this time so its not from the tire lever.

Top Bottom