Things that make you frown :(

iman29

Ian I have used this Bill for 10 years including the dreaded central air replacement a few years ago. 👍
http://www.scottyandsonnj.com/ 908-850-3070

not only did he call me back from his vacation this morning, he even told me how to fix it myself and stay safe from any shock issues. so much so that I fixed it myself at lunchtime today. see DIY thread.

JDurk

Forgetting everytime, to sign in using the new password.

Return from vacation on Monday and there's no internet at work. There had been a "brute force attack" on the active domain of the network and the IT provider of the company shut it down. Once restored, everyone had to change they're passwords, to something 10 characters long including upper/lower case, numbers and characters. I've had the same password since starting here in 2004.

Cassinonorth

Forgetting everytime, to sign in using the new password.

Return from vacation on Monday and there's no internet at work. There had been a "brute force attack" on the active domain of the network and the IT provider of the company shut it down. Once restored, everyone had to change they're passwords, to something 10 characters long including upper/lower case, numbers and characters. I've had the same password since starting here in 2004.

I get why they attacked your company with password policies like that.

JDurk

+1 - this is a complete nightmare and probably explains how your company got hacked in the first place.
We don't even have voicemail, an actual person MUST answer every damn call between 8am-5pm and transfer to who is being called. After hours, a digital answering machine is switched on. We still have a DOS PC for file storage that's connected to a 1985 vintage CNC machine in the shop. We create CNC programs on a Windows XP PC then transfer to DOS PC using a 3.5" floppy. But the IT dick justified purchasing a drone and 3D printer for his own entertainment, when he's not watching Tik Tok videos or playing on-line poker.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
We don't even have voicemail, an actual person MUST answer every damn call between 8am-5pm and transfer to who is being called. After hours, a digital answering machine is switched on. We still have a DOS PC for file storage that's connected to a 1985 vintage CNC machine in the shop. We create CNC programs on a Windows XP PC then transfer to DOS PC using a 3.5" floppy. But the IT dick justified purchasing a drone and 3D printer for his own entertainment, when he's not watching Tik Tok videos or playing on-line poker.
Xfer to floppy, DOS, wtf! Even the gub-ment upgraded from that shiz. The last time I remember a green screen at work was 1990-something.

iman29

Jeez Louise! One trip to Best Buy and about $5-10K max could solve about 90% of those issues.

I guess being in corp america for most of my IT career this is so off the charts. But I recall earlier in my career when I was doing private consulting for small/med size business in the late 1990's I was doing simple upgrades (basic network PC's, printing, small local networks) for businesses who were in similar situations but didn't know how to get started. Also most don't want to invest on "IT stuff" that seems to be a luxury until the previously mentioned hacking event takes place.

It sounds like you already know more that Mr. IT there!

JDurk

Jeez Louise! One trip to Best Buy and about $5-10K max could solve about 90% of those issues.

I guess being in corp america for most of my IT career this is so off the charts. But I recall earlier in my career when I was doing private consulting for small/med size business in the late 1990's I was doing simple upgrades (basic network PC's, printing, small local networks) for businesses who were in similar situations but didn't know how to get started. Also most don't want to invest on "IT stuff" that seems to be a luxury until the previously mentioned hacking event takes place.

It sounds like you already know more that Mr. IT there!
I don't know more than Mr. IT, I know what not to do. He's just lazy and in control. Kinda feels like this sometimes.

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The old tour of parcels. Ordered from chainreactions beginning of the month and the box did about 5 stops in the UK and arrived on the shores of bergen NJ where sat for 7 days stating it cleared customs. Next notification is delivery today but it's out in western Allentown, PA. Todays notification is delayed till Friday and is now in Harrisburg. Pittsburgh next? Lol...

serviceguy

It could be worse, you could have your entire archive of control SW as well as CAD electrical, pneumatic and mechanical drawings files etc. on floppy disks (3.5", 5.25" and a few 8"), duplicated and stored in separate fireproof cabinets, then when you finally decide to migrate everything on a file server discover that most have gone to crap...

JDurk

It could be worse, you could have your entire archive of control SW as well as CAD electrical, pneumatic and mechanical drawings files etc. on floppy disks (3.5", 5.25" and a few 8"), duplicated and stored in separate fireproof cabinets, then when you finally decide to migrate everything on a file server discover that most have gone to crap...
All the AutoCAD and Solidworks stuff is on the network. The CNC program files are on each of those PC, but neither is connected to the network, i.e. being backed up. The CNC programming software is only on the XP PC, along with the geometry files used for creating the program files, also not being backed up.

Top Bottom