Things that make you frown :(

don

walked the dog the other day, Lady was on her beach cruiser on the road in flip flops, no helmet, and holding her phone to her ear while riding her bike, while riding with her toddler daughter who was sitting in one of those top tube bike seats. At least the kid had a helmet on :(

Ugh

So likely a very inexperienced rider with the lack of correct gear riding on a bike with an extra 25+ lbs of non-balanced weight. I don't know if being on a beach cruiser was a plus (slacker angles and low standover) or minus (usually pretty floppy feeling even without the extra weight).

One of the best things about a bike ride is being "away" from the phone.

JonF

So there i was, flying down the mountain at a blinding warp speed, skillfully dodging the murder-boulders, covid-walkers and tick-rappellers clearly on my way to the supreme galactic emperor of KOM's. But the mountain had other ideas... As a I crested the climb that even the most burly of hike-a-bikers would reel in terror at, i jumped up on the pedals and hit the throttle down the tight corridor straightaway of overgrown shrubbery constricting down on me like a giant green Boa. Tucking down deeper, the leaves become a verdant starfield whizzing by, i could see the exit closing down on me but i knew i could make it if it hit the afterburners. It was here the mountain mounted its final assault on me. It dug deep into its cache of finest hook roots and sent it rocketing up the earths crust hoping it would find its way on a collision course with my two-wheeled Carbonium rocketship. Blindsiding me, that dirty hookroot just barely managed to find my biggest weakness--my size 14 clodhoppers. In the nick of time, it stretched that root as far as it would go and managed to barely connect with the tip of my shoe as it apexed on the massive power downstroke. Grabbing with all of its worldly might, it wrestled my foot free from the pedal, wrapped itself around my grand large toe and stood fast trying to anchor me to terra firma while my mighty steed continued its forward trajectory. As i was separated from my vehicle, i was fortunate to land in the soft, pillowy raspberry thicket nearby to collect my thoughts, wits and ponder the unknown whereabouts of my ride. Gazing down upon my foot, although the root had broken free, however, its grip upon me wasn't the only thing seemingly broken. It appears my grand toe had decided it would need to sacrifice itself to prevent a more catastrophic disaster--a noble action indeed! So, broken and beaten, i collected my vehicle from the mob of angry greenbriar, set out to return to base and survey the damage. The diagnostic bot said the bike is fine but the toe is done. You're on sick leave for at least a month dude.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

IMG_20200617_152237.jpg

iman29

So there i was, flying down the mountain at a blinding warp speed, skillfully dodging the murder-boulders, covid-walkers and tick-rappellers clearly on my way to the supreme galactic emperor of KOM's. But the mountain had other ideas... As a I crested the climb that even the most burly of hike-a-bikers would reel in terror at, i jumped up on the pedals and hit the throttle down the tight corridor straightaway of overgrown shrubbery constricting down on me like a giant green Boa. Tucking down deeper, the leaves become a verdant starfield whizzing by, i could see the exit closing down on me but i knew i could make it if it hit the afterburners. It was here the mountain mounted its final assault on me. It dug deep into its cache of finest hook roots and sent it rocketing up the earths crust hoping it would find its way on a collision course with my two-wheeled Carbonium rocketship. Blindsiding me, that dirty hookroot just barely managed to find my biggest weakness--my size 14 clodhoppers. In the nick of time, it stretched that root as far as it would go and managed to barely connect with the tip of my shoe as it apexed on the massive power downstroke. Grabbing with all of its worldly might, it wrestled my foot free from the pedal, wrapped itself around my grand large toe and stood fast trying to anchor me to terra firma while my mighty steed continued its forward trajectory. As i was separated from my vehicle, i was fortunate to land in the soft, pillowy raspberry thicket nearby to collect my thoughts, wits and ponder the unknown whereabouts of my ride. Gazing down upon my foot, although the root had broken free, however, its grip upon me wasn't the only thing seemingly broken. It appears my grand toe had decided it would need to sacrifice itself to prevent a more catastrophic disaster--a noble action indeed! So, broken and beaten, i collected my vehicle from the mob of angry greenbriar, set out to return to base and survey the damage. The diagnostic bot said the bike is fine but the toe is done. You're on sick leave for at least a month dude.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

View attachment 131936
double like for excellent narrative, unlike for no riding for a month during what's usually the nicest times to ride.

note - could also double post to "post your boo boos"

jackx

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
That supremely blows.. Sorry to hear.. Heal up quick!

note - could also double post to "post your boo boos"
That seems to be the appropriate action for posts involving X-rays or other imaging scans.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
found a few ideas online like cayenne pepper spray or something like adding sharp things to the pots like plastic knives. Guess later I will go to the dollar store and buy up all their inventory...grr..
Get a Costco sized container of crushed red pepper flakes.
Re-apply after rain.

iman29

Get a Costco sized container of crushed red pepper flakes.
Re-apply after rain.
funny i was just coming here to post my follow up since last nights efforts.

Wife came home with 3 packs of 24 forks which are set into the soil of all the planters, and I sprinkled the cayenne pepper powder on all the flowers. she was afraid the cayenne taste would somehow be in the herbs so for those pots I used bone meal/fertilizer.

1592497801665.png

I checked this morning expecting to find a mess but all clear so far. FORK YOU Squirrels!

Captain Brainstorm

funny i was just coming here to post my follow up since last nights efforts.

Wife came home with 3 packs of 24 forks which are set into the soil of all the planters, and I sprinkled the cayenne pepper powder on all the flowers. she was afraid the cayenne taste would somehow be in the herbs so for those pots I used bone meal/fertilizer.

View attachment 131942

I checked this morning expecting to find a mess but all clear so far. FORK YOU Squirrels!

Squirrels are tick-carrying vermin. Rats that can climb well. Like all rodents, their teeth never stop growing so they always need to be chewing something. I spend too much time and money in yard to tolerate their destruction, especially since my neighborhood is full of oak trees and a plentiful supply of natural food. My suggestion is a high-powered pellet-gun, preferably in .22 with a quality scope. Can be found for around $250-300. Make head-shots, leave the body there for a couple of days, it does deter the other rodents. If you're motivated enough, there are some recipes out there for slow-cooked and roasted squirrel, but I don't eat rat, its not the zombie apocalypse yet.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
she was afraid the cayenne taste would somehow be in the herbs so for those pots I used bone meal/fertilizer.
I had considered this, but what I was trying to protect was 2 dozen pepper plants,
so it would only be a value add. ;)

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
The good news is that I was on the mower and not the kid. Pulley bolt came off and wedged itself in tight. Too hot to touch. Should turn out ok.
82C4D2EB-67C2-4CE7-89BF-8918B44900EB.jpeg

Last edited:

iman29

Yesterday we learned one of our fellow road riders from Martys club passed away. Today all of us attended his online funeral and it was still very sad.

Information we have says he had a pretty serious solo cycling accident a week or so ago and was home recovering after a hospital stay and then Sunday passed away suddenly.
Seems there may be some bike talk rumors floating around about him crashing in a group ride which is untrue since we haven’t had any real group rides before this past Sunday.

Mike Murray was a great guy and I only wished I actually got together for that long overdue ride instead of always planning to do it. Another case of bad things happening to good people.

His family posted these two charities to donate to if anyone is so inclined. I plan to donate to the animal shelter.

www.wilsonhouse.org

Ride in Peace Mike

Top Bottom