Things are good

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
one unfortunate thing that will stick around in history is that McCain ran an absolute shite campaign.

That's not going to stick around in the history books. What will stick around is the fact that every one of those negative attacks (which, to be fair, started with Hillary Clinton), didn't hold, and that the American public saw through the smokescreen of negative campaigning.

McCain's biggest mistake was hiring the campaign managers who got Bush elected. They forced him into a negative role that he was never comfortable with, and you could tell how conflicted he was about it. He didn't want to be that guy.

It's amazing to me that the first black candidate for president in the USA won not by a narrow margin, but by 5 percentage points and 7 million votes. Who would have thought? Just incredible...

sixseven

That's not going to stick around in the history books. What will stick around is the fact that every one of those negative attacks (which, to be fair, started with Hillary Clinton), didn't hold, and that the American public saw through the smokescreen of negative campaigning.

McCain's biggest mistake was hiring the campaign managers who got Bush elected. They forced him into a negative role that he was never comfortable with, and you could tell how conflicted he was about it. He didn't want to be that guy.

It's amazing to me that the first black candidate for president in the USA won not by a narrow margin, but by 5 percentage points and 7 million votes. Who would have thought? Just incredible...

McCains concession speech was the first time I actually felt for the guy, as in I felt that this was the real McCain, not the managed one. His speech was excellent.

J-Dro

This was the largest voter turnout in 90 years, since women won the right to vote. Amazing.

The memory that will stick in my mind from last night is watching my 17 year old son, glued to the TV, feeling like he had a stake in the political process and the country's future. The resurgence of youth participation will be the legacy of this election, I think.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Bottom line: Obama managed his campaign; McCain's campaign managed him.

I believe that if Mr. McCain kept on the same track/tone post the RNC as he did prior (and picked who he *really* wanted as a running mate, btw), it would've been a much closer race at the end.

I don't know if the end result would've been different, but I'm pretty sure last night would've been more of a knuckle biter...

And yes, Mr. McCain's speech was well done last night...he looked like the John McCain I remember prior to RNC.

Last edited:

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
The resurgence of youth participation will be the legacy of this election, I think.

Agreed. And minority participation too.

Hell, I'm an old white guy and I was more involved. Last time I looked at Bush, then Kerry, and said "f*** it, neither one of them are worth wasting the time going to the poll".

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The memory that will stick in my mind from last night is watching my 17 year old son, glued to the TV, feeling like he had a stake in the political process and the country's future. The resurgence of youth participation will be the legacy of this election, I think.

As other people have stated, the youth involvement was huge and in the past, younger voters did not show up to vote and it seems this election they did. While I am now in the over 30 crowd, this was the election that pushed my to register in NJ (I was previoulsy PA) and vote for the first time in 10 years. That says something.

MIG, don't be a sore loser :D

MEAN IRISH GUY

Horse-faced space dog
hhahaah im not sore at all. i voted democrat, lol. i guess im still getting used to posting on a board where there arent bitter little kids that just started caring about politics 5 minutes ago and wont care again 10 miutes from now.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Obama is not the first black candidate for president. First nominee, first president, yes. I was not at all suprised that a Black person, or a person of any race for that matter could become president in the US. Im not at all suprised the he won and that his race did not hamper his victory.

I am suprised to hear that in the liberal mecca that is California, prop. 8 (constitutional amendment banning gay marriage) passed.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Obama is not the first black candidate for president. First nominee, first president, yes.

Speaking of which, did you see the video of Jesse Jackson? Cryin' like a baby. I think he is taking this as a validation of his life's work...or he was thinkin' "man! that should've been me!" :rofl:

gtluke

The Moped
well its already getting expensive. I ordered 2 AR-15 lowers, a mini-14 and applied for another handgun permit.
fucking guy!
:)

Panhead

well its already getting expensive. I ordered 2 AR-15 lowers, a mini-14 and applied for another handgun permit.
fucking guy!
:)

Well Hell son, you might as well hand 'em over right now. When they know who has what they know where to go.

gtluke

The Moped
so far the feds and state don't track rifle purchases, but they can raid the gun shop for the records.
and at that point i'll already be on my roof with them and a lawn chair and cooler.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
I was just happy to know that people elected Obama because they agree with his position on the important issues. :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyvqhdllXgU

The reality is that most folks who voted for Obama AND most folks who voted for McCain wouldn't pass a test on what each man's plan/position is on issues. Most would not have a clue or would give you incorrect answers...every election is like this. If it weren't, campaigning would not be required--you could just put together a resume and manifesto for the candidates and be done with it.

People vote for a particular candidate for a multitude of reasons. Some of those reasons may make you shake your head, but none are wrong. I might think some of them are silly, or even stupid, but none are wrong.

The interesting thing about this election is that a lot of people who could pass the test mentioned earlier and don't agree with many of Mr. Obama's positions, voted for him anyway. Why? Because, in many ways, this election wasn't really about the issues. It was about growing as a nation, taking a step beyond the fragmentation that is occurring in our county, running away from the current administration, and restoring our standing in the world. These are not necessarily policy concerns; these are concerns that need an inspirational/dynamic leader. And many see the gap between Mr. Obama and Mr. McCain so great in this regard, many chose that as their primary motivator on election day (even if they didn't agree with a lot of his plans/policies)...which is not wrong. And maybe, very right for this point and time in America.

Listen to Colin Powell's Meet The Press interview when he endorsed Mr. Obama; his position explains my point much better than I ever could.

At any rate, it is everyone's right to continue the pointless, petty, and narrow view whining. Losing teams do that. For once, though, I'd like to see everybody rise above that, listen to their coaches speech, and do their best to move America forward. Mr. McCain's concession speech laid it out very well and I believe the man was genuine and sincere. And as I said earlier, a man we haven't seen since before the RNC.

MST.ESQ

I was just happy to know that people elected Obama because they agree with his position on the important issues. :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyvqhdllXgU

I was never that interested in politics until I went to law school and studied the Constitution, Federalist Papers, etc. The fact of the matter is that all voters have a civic duty to exercise their constitutional right to vote (or any other right for that matter) in an informed and deliberate matter. I voted for neither Obama nor McCain (nor did I write-in a vote for Frank...) after evaluating each candidates' position, reading between the lines (very important when it comes to politicians, consultants and attorneys) and comparing it to my closely held beliefs.

In a nutshell, the problem lies in the fact that most people will spend more time researching a new car, or you guessed it - even a new mountainbike - then they do their political candidate of choice. Some of the reasons I have been hearing for voting (for either candidate) are disheartening. That my friends is the true issue at hand in today's politics. So if you take nothing else from this post, let's remind ourselves, friends and family members that taking part in the political process is one of our most important duties as citizens. It should be exercised with pride, but as with any other consitutional right, should be discharged (that one was for you gtLuke) with the greatest of care and forethought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom