The what new bike are you considering thread

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
That bike treated me well while I had it. I tried both 29&27 plus but always preferred the plus wheels. I also ran a 150mm fork which helped to pull the pedals out of the rocks.

This design rewards you with the low BB, but when it fails it can be deadly.

I got used to avoiding pedal strikes which I think is a good skill to master anyway.

I ran the rear shock a bit high in psi and with volume spacers in which also helped.

Make sure you register the serial # (which you can’t get to without taking a pivot axle out). They have a great warranty policy, but you have to have it registered. This is especially helpful when you ask for free replacement bearings.

Enjoy.
Thanks for the advice. Switched out the stock volume spacer for a larger one, put the flip chip on high and added more air to the rear shock and no pedal strikes. Already getting used to using actual pedal techniques but the added height helped.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Thanks for the advice. Switched out the stock volume spacer for a larger one, put the flip chip on high and added more air to the rear shock and no pedal strikes. Already getting used to using actual pedal techniques but the added height helped.
When I ran my Hightower with 29er wheels, I left the flip chip on high and the pedal strikes were almost gone at HM.
I am still bit undecided on which wheel size but leaning a bit towards the 29er due to the roll over and pedal strikes. 27.5 feels more "sporty" to me tho. Maybe I need to try it with the 29er with the flip chip on low.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
When I ran my Hightower with 29er wheels, I left the flip chip on high and the pedal strikes were almost gone at HM.
I am still bit undecided on which wheel size but leaning a bit towards the 29er due to the roll over and pedal strikes. 27.5 feels more "sporty" to me tho. Maybe I need to try it with the 29er with the flip chip on low.
I may try the 29er with the flip chip back in low but will keep it in high for now. I think it’s around 1/15th of an inch difference so not much. The biggest change I found already is the bigger volume spacer and more air. The problem with too much air and or too many or too large a volume spacer can cause other issues. Fun balancing act. Adding the bash guard helps protect the frame as well as going over obstacles. There were some tall log overs today that I had no problem getting over without worrying about my chain or chain ring.

serviceguy

I may try the 29er with the flip chip back in low but will keep it in high for now. I think it’s around 1/15th of an inch difference so not much. The biggest change I found already is the bigger volume spacer and more air. The problem with too much air and or too many or too large a volume spacer can cause other issues. Fun balancing act. Adding the bash guard helps protect the frame as well as going over obstacles. There were some tall log overs today that I had no problem getting over without worrying about my chain or chain ring.
What is the fork travel? When I spec’d Fuggy with Knolly they advised going with the longer travel fork allowed (160) if I wanted to run 27+ in order to compensate (partially) for the lower bb height. Again, we’re talking a few mm. Definitely get a bash guard though.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I've halted my search until spring, because honestly, my bike still works pretty well. I don't think I'll be looking at Santa Cruz, I rode a Bronson for a solid month and just didn't get on with it. Yes, in a vacuum, its a great bike, but I've been spoiled on DW-link. Also, getting back on my bike, I was faster everywhere on it. The only thing not modern on my bike is the sizing and axle standards, however I have a feeling that this new trend of long bikes may be getting people on bikes that are too big for them. The Bronson had a longer reach than my bike, but that didn't translate into extra speed or confidence. Part of the problem I think was the 2.6 tires, I hated them. I'll be waiting to see if Turner comes out with anything new, otherwise I'll be looking at Ibis or possibly even Esker. As for 27.5 vs. 29, it will come down to how the bike rides, but the 29's I rode so far were definitely less agile (except for the Scalpel, but that bike is definitely not for me).
I heard Turner is out of business this year. @jShort @Kirt ?

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
What is the fork travel? When I spec’d Fuggy with Knolly they advised going with the longer travel fork allowed (160) if I wanted to run 27+ in order to compensate (partially) for the lower bb height. Again, we’re talking a few mm. Definitely get a bash guard though.
When the Hightower was offered with both 27.5 and 29 options, th 27.5 came with 150 and the 29 with 140... I think.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
135 in the rear and 140 in front. I put a Funn Zippa bash guard on and works well so far.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
When the Hightower was offered with both 27.5 and 29 options, th 27.5 came with 150 and the 29 with 140... I think.
If you have 150 and convert to the 29 you may want to put in low but I’m not sure. Does Santa Cruz have any advice on switching back and forth between 27.5 and 29?

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
If you have 150 and convert to the 29 you may want to put in low but I’m not sure. Does Santa Cruz have any advice on switching back and forth between 27.5 and 29?
On the HT 1.0 they sold the bike with a 150mm fork if you bought it w/ 27+ and 140mm if you bought it w 29er wheels. It was noted that if you plan on riding both sizes of wheels to ride it w a 150mm fork.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Website seems down. A year + ago I put myself on the waiting list for a Czar and never heard back
I called a few months ago as I had a technical question and believe that I got David Turner on the phone. Can’t say for sure, but had seen him on Utube and other media over the years and it sounded like him. Was helpful and advised me that there were plenty of parts in stock. Just checked the site and it does unfortunately appear down at this time. I had the impression that Tuner Bikes was down for the count a while ago. Hope he starts it back up at some point. They were great bikes in their time.

qclabrat

I called a few months ago as I had a technical question and believe that I got David Turner on the phone. Can’t say for sure, but had seen him on Utube and other media over the years and it sounded like him. Was helpful and advised me that there were plenty of parts in stock. Just checked the site and it does unfortunately appear down at this time. I had the impression that Tuner Bikes was down for the count a while ago. Hope he starts it back up at some point. They were great bikes in their time.
seems to work, but the site has some glitches
1575948674640.png

Captain Brainstorm

Dave answers the phone all of the time, because he always had only 5-6 guys working there. Him and I are on a first name basis just from talking over the years. Overall, he thinks that he's a victim of bad timing, and I would tend to agree. He launched the RFX exactly at the time when standards started changing, front centers became really long, seat angles steeper. He thinks that everyone buying the hype on internet websites doesn't help. For example, he doesn't understand the hate for a properly designed press-fit bottom bracket. My RFX is press-fit, and not a squeak or issue ever. He told me it takes $300k, and a whole lot of someone actually being, there to design and mold a new carbon frame in China. I straight-up asked him if he was going to release any new bikes, and he was cagey with his answer, which gives me a very small bit of hope. FWIF, my RFX has been amazing, and I haven't upgraded yet because I haven't found a bike with suspension design that has performed as well, or that I have been faster on.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Dave answers the phone all of the time, because he always had only 5-6 guys working there. Him and I are on a first name basis just from talking over the years. Overall, he thinks that he's a victim of bad timing, and I would tend to agree. He launched the RFX exactly at the time when standards started changing, front centers became really long, seat angles steeper. He thinks that everyone buying the hype on internet websites doesn't help. For example, he doesn't understand the hate for a properly designed press-fit bottom bracket. My RFX is press-fit, and not a squeak or issue ever. He told me it takes $300k, and a whole lot of someone actually being, there to design and mold a new carbon frame in China. I straight-up asked him if he was going to release any new bikes, and he was cagey with his answer, which gives me a very small bit of hope. FWIF, my RFX has been amazing, and I haven't upgraded yet because I haven't found a bike with suspension design that has performed as well, or that I have been faster on.
Is the latest and greatest necessarily the best for everyone? I like the Hightower but I already miss the DW link to some extent. Creature of habit I guess. I will still use my Turner for long distance rides as the upright old school geometry has all day comfort.

So it was him. He really has been very helpful every time I have called over the years. I remember mentioning about a year ago that I would be the first in line to buy a Sultan if they ever release a new one. He didn’t sound hopeful. Not easy going up against big corporations.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
he doesn't understand the hate for a properly designed press-fit bottom bracket.
well that makes two of us....im a little bummed my new S/C comes with these stupid threaded BB cups....I put the BB30 in my trigger frame in 2014, haven't touched it since.

I spent some time on a turner sultan in moab a few years ago, great bike, really enjoyed it on the whole enchilada.

He told me it takes $300k, and a whole lot of someone actually being, there to design and mold a new carbon frame in China.

And you get the added bonus of your design being stolen and copied.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
well that makes two of us....im a little bummed my new S/C comes with these stupid threaded BB cups....I put the BB30 in my trigger frame in 2014, haven't touched it since.

I spent some time on a turner sultan in moab a few years ago, great bike, really enjoyed it on the whole enchilada.

Threaded is really the best way to go. I'm a big far of T47 but it has it's drawbacks as well.

https://chrisking.com/products/bottom-bracket-threadfit-t47-24x

Captain Brainstorm

Is the latest and greatest necessarily the best for everyone? I like the Hightower but I already miss the DW link to some extent. Creature of habit I guess. I will still use my Turner for long distance rides as the upright old school geometry has all day comfort.

So it was him. He really has been very helpful every time I have called over the years. I remember mentioning about a year ago that I would be the first in line to buy a Sultan if they ever release a new one. He didn’t sound hopeful. Not easy going up against big corporations.

I think that the bikes post 2015-16 probably have better geometry than what came before, however with some of the extreme angles we're seeing these days you really need to try before you buy and size correctly. I'm almost 6', long legs shorter torso, which makes me large for some brands, medium for others. Whatever you do, don't believe the hype from online mags, try yourself.

Dave has been in the game a long time, he's seen it all. I also get the feeling at this point he's tired of dealing with it all. He also seems like the type that won't suck-ass with many of said online mags. He did mention though that he may try/was open to getting something going with outside investment. That was the interesting nugget I took away from our conversation, but I won't put words in the mans mouth, we'll just have to see if anything materializes next spring. All we get for now is cross-bikes, which has been his thing for the last few years. We as also big in NICA for a while when his kids were younger.

The IP laws seem to be a bit lax in China, risk of doing business there I guess. Also why most people who do business there have second homes there. I guess its like any business, if you're not there to oversee, they will rob you blind.

Top Bottom