The what new bike are you considering thread

Torn891

hey all- New here- but have read this whole thread. I'm demoing a Hightower tomorrow out of Belmar Bikes - Im coming off a 2008 26in Giant Trance x2 (5in travel bike) so i am brand new to 29s, new geometry etc.

I'll still have the Trance (Its really and XC bike) so I wanted to go more trail. I also demoed the Fuel EX, Besides the HT and Fuel what other bikes should I look at? My riding is almost exclusively Hartshorne since its 3 min from my house and Ive got young kiddos.

Any advice would be great!

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
hey all- New here- but have read this whole thread. I'm demoing a Hightower tomorrow out of Belmar Bikes - Im coming off a 2008 26in Giant Trance x2 (5in travel bike) so i am brand new to 29s, new geometry etc.

I'll still have the Trance (Its really and XC bike) so I wanted to go more trail. I also demoed the Fuel EX, Besides the HT and Fuel what other bikes should I look at? My riding is almost exclusively Hartshorne since its 3 min from my house and Ive got young kiddos.

As someone coming off of a 26 inch wheel I’d give consideration to a 27.5 inch wheel bike. The jump to 29 from 26 inch can be a little daunting at first.

If you’re shopping at Belmar Bikes I’d look very closely at the new process 134 as it comes in both 27.five and 29 inch wheels. I rode them both back to back in Bellingham a few months ago and they’re both amazing and I would be hard-pressed to pick one wheel size honestly. I know that availability isn’t great on these yet though.

As for Santa cruz the 5010 is an obvious choice. The 5010 is sold in either 2.4 inch tires or 2.6 inch tires. We actually sold quite a few more of the larger 2.6 inch tires/plus this year. Your demo should be telling, But keep in mind all the new bikes are better than they were ten years ago. In all cases you are buying the shop as much as the bike. I’d say that you can’t go wrong at Belmar.

Have a ton of fun and please tell Kyle that Jason says hello.

Last edited:

Mathers

Welcome. Belmar is a good shop.
They just started carrying Ibis I beleieve and they have some nice bikes. Maybe check out the Ripley.

Torn891

As someone coming off of a 26 inch wheel I’d give consideration to a 27.5 inch wheel bike. The jump to 29 from 26 inch can be a little daunting at first.

If you’re shopping at Belmar Bikes I’d look very closely at the new process 134 as it comes in both 27.five and 29 inch wheels. I rode them both back to back in Bellingham a few months ago and they’re both amazing and I would be hard-pressed to pick one wheel size honestly. I know that availability isn’t great on these yet though.

As for Santa cruz the 5010 is an obvious choice. The 5010 is sold in either 2.4 inch tires or 2.6 inch tires. We actually sold quite a few more of the larger 2.6 inch tires/plus this year. Your demo should be telling, But keep in mind all the new bikes are better than they were ten years ago. In all cases you are buying the shop as much as the bike. I’d say that you can’t go wrong at Belmar.

Have a ton of fun and please tell Kyle that Jason says hello.

Thanks Jason- Kyle was the one who has helped me so far. He was great and really took the time to educate me. I'll definetly take the 5150 out for a ride too. I thought that may be a little less trail for me. Im willing to suffer a little to get a really fun ride down. especially knowing I always have my trace for techy stuff.

thanks guys!

Torn891

jdog. i think you may be right- had the Hightower out today and MAN was it amazing at Hartshorne. but - may be too much bike. I have NEVER taken lines like I did today. so.damn.fun. But she's a beat to climb.

I really need to check out the 5150. i think that may be the sweet spot. the hightower is just a whole lot of bike for the uphills and tech sections. But i am in love with 29 inch wheels.

Thanks again for all the advice gents!

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
jdog. i think you may be right- had the Hightower out today and MAN was it amazing at Hartshorne. but - may be too much bike. I have NEVER taken lines like I did today. so.damn.fun. But she's a beat to climb.

I really need to check out the 5150. i think that may be the sweet spot. the hightower is just a whole lot of bike for the uphills and tech sections. But i am in love with 29 inch wheels.

If you liked the Hightower check out the tallboy. Same geo except less travel and weight.

jdog

Shop Keep

Sounds like a Tallboy.. But I'd still try the 5010. I personally have a Pivot 429 w 29er wheels and a Bronson with 27.5 .. I ride both on 2.6" tires which I know makes some people cringe, but I love them.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Changed my mind.... Norco Optic :cool:

1571430698062.png

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@stb222 as a follow up..... yesterday at ringwood I got to try the a bronson and a 5010 back to back on the same trail....I mean really, it was exactly as i expected...they felt very similar with the 5010 being a little more nimble, but not quite as good on the big hits. Nothing shocking. I loved both of them....Being that im looking for something to do enduro races on, id probably prefer the Bronson...It didnt feel that much bigger/heavier uphill as to be detrimental.

More interesting to me was comparing the hightower to the bronson....Having recent ridden the hightower and now finally getting a chance to try the bronson on some rocky terrain. I have to say, I think I like the bronson just a tick better overall. Both are really awesome, and I could be happy with both I think....but compared to the hightower...I like how the bronson feels more nimble...turns quicker, easier to muscle up and over things...if you want to move the rear wheel from here to there...you can just give the bike a light flick and it responds quickly...It feels more "fun" than the hightower....I bet if I tracked strava times on both they would probably be the same.. I cant say I noticed any real detriment with the smaller wheels....There was one chunky rock garden that I would hit a high speed and just go straight thru without thinking about a line...Both the bronson and the HT were awesome at this...But I would say the high tower felt like it maintained its momentum just a bit better...Hightower to me is like a machine built for paving rocks, it might not be the most fun and playful bike I have ridden, but its DAM good at making the hard stuff seem easier..Really, if I had the funds, I would buy both of them. Both are excellent.

Big thanks to @jdog for letting me play with all of these toys.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
So @Captain Brainstorm, are you still shopping or taking a break until spring. I bought a leftover 2019 Hightower. While the redesigned 2020 Hightower is a great bike, it has more suspension and is slacker than what I am looking for. 29 pounds and a 67 degree head angle with 135mm rear and 140 front suspension is perfect for my current riding style. Feels weird riding a more modern geometry after living on 69.5 degree head angle and ultra long chain stay Turner for over 5 years. I only have to get used to the low bottom bracket in the Hightower, but is worth it as the handling in comparison is incredible. Good luck in your search.

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Hey me too!!!!

After much debate, I decided to get the bronson.....I need to update my review of it...but I will say I love it. Very happy so far with like 97% of it.

QXsVNFP.png
Congrats Joe. While you are able to ride your Cannondale anywhere, I have to figure you get less bounced around at Wildcat now.

jdog

Shop Keep
So @Captain Brainstorm, are you still shopping or taking a break until spring. I bought a leftover 2019 Hightower. While the redesigned 2020 Hightower is a great bike, it has more suspension and is slacker than what I am looking for. 29 pounds and a 67 degree head angle with 135mm rear and 140 front suspension is perfect for my current riding style. Feels weird riding a more modern geometry after living on 69.5 degree head angle and ultra long chain stay Turner for over 5 years. I only have to get used to the low bottom bracket in the Hightower, but is worth it as the handling in comparison is incredible. Good luck in your search.

That bike treated me well while I had it. I tried both 29&27 plus but always preferred the plus wheels. I also ran a 150mm fork which helped to pull the pedals out of the rocks.

This design rewards you with the low BB, but when it fails it can be deadly.

I got used to avoiding pedal strikes which I think is a good skill to master anyway.

I ran the rear shock a bit high in psi and with volume spacers in which also helped.

Make sure you register the serial # (which you can’t get to without taking a pivot axle out). They have a great warranty policy, but you have to have it registered. This is especially helpful when you ask for free replacement bearings.

Enjoy.

one piece crank

I want to test-ride some "new" bikes next Summer. I don't like any of this new geometry, at least on paper. So, I just ordered a Onyx rear hub with custom graphics for my high-BB play bike.

Captain Brainstorm

I've halted my search until spring, because honestly, my bike still works pretty well. I don't think I'll be looking at Santa Cruz, I rode a Bronson for a solid month and just didn't get on with it. Yes, in a vacuum, its a great bike, but I've been spoiled on DW-link. Also, getting back on my bike, I was faster everywhere on it. The only thing not modern on my bike is the sizing and axle standards, however I have a feeling that this new trend of long bikes may be getting people on bikes that are too big for them. The Bronson had a longer reach than my bike, but that didn't translate into extra speed or confidence. Part of the problem I think was the 2.6 tires, I hated them. I'll be waiting to see if Turner comes out with anything new, otherwise I'll be looking at Ibis or possibly even Esker. As for 27.5 vs. 29, it will come down to how the bike rides, but the 29's I rode so far were definitely less agile (except for the Scalpel, but that bike is definitely not for me).

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
R
That bike treated me well while I had it. I tried both 29&27 plus but always preferred the plus wheels. I also ran a 150mm fork which helped to pull the pedals out of the rocks.

This design rewards you with the low BB, but when it fails it can be deadly.

I got used to avoiding pedal strikes which I think is a good skill to master anyway.

I ran the rear shock a bit high in psi and with volume spacers in which also helped.

Make sure you register the serial # (which you can’t get to without taking a pivot axle out). They have a great warranty policy, but you have to have it registered. This is especially helpful when you ask for free replacement bearings.

Enjoy.
Thanks @jdog, it will definitely be a new skill to develop, but already felt some of the rewards on my first ride.

Captain Brainstorm

I want to test-ride some "new" bikes next Summer. I don't like any of this new geometry, at least on paper. So, I just ordered a Onyx rear hub with custom graphics for my high-BB play bike.

Not all of this new geometry is bad. I think a lot of older bikes were too short, having a little more reach lets you run a shorter stem, which keeps your hands and more of your weight further back from the front wheel. The problem with many of the newer bikes is that the front has gotten really long, head angles really slack, and this doesn't work for everyone. Unless you're bombing down steep, high-speed tech all day long, handling suffers in the tighter stuff (for me anyway), and the bike can also be more of a handful to throw around in slower speed tech like we have around here. You also need to change your riding style to weight the front wheel more in turns. I personally prefer longer stays for stability vs. a super long front also, but that's just me.
Overall though, the new bikes are good. You should definitely try a bunch to see how you like them, especially if your bike is 2012 or older.

Top Bottom