The Weekend Report - 10-20/21

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Races

Cross at Craigmeur - CX on Sunday.

Other CX race?

Group Rides

The First Annual MTBNJ.com picnic - Saturday, should have a ride or 2 going on.

Trail Maintenance

Allaire - Sunday 10/21. Read Frank's description here.

Weekly Trail Conditions Report

Allaire Good (10-17) - From the desk of the big hairy 29er rider, "Allaire is starting to dry again but the promise of rain is good news. Trails are still in great shape, fast and fun. This Sunday we will be doing trail maintenance. We will re-route an eroded hill climb with a better layout while adding a few more feet of trail."

Allamuchy North Good (10-14) - By all accounts Allamuchy is great right now. "Allamuchy north has recovered very well from the heavy rain. My bike had no mud at all and I can not remember seeing any standing water. Traction was endless. Lots of leaves though.. careful! This is derailleur season by the way.." Another comment says, "A little wet in Allamuchy last week but no standing water." Then from this weekend, "Rode Allamuchy on Saturday.*It was fantabulous."

Allamuchy Deer Park/Stephens Good (10-14) - Same comments as Allamuchy North with one additional comment about Stephens, "Very good, couple of soft spots near stream crossings. Leaves." Then about Deer Park, "Very good. Leaves not too bad here."

Blue Mountain Good (10-13) - "Very good. Some trails not well defined due to heavy leaf cover."

Chimney Rock Good (10-16) - Reported in good condition on 10/14 then 2 days later on 10/16 as, "good? i rode in the dark and stayed in the easier areas, but the ride was good and i didn't notice any problems with the trails."

Hartshorne & Huber Average (10-14) - The rain has not helped this park much. "average. some sandy areas, but definitely ridable."

Jungle Habitat Good (10-17) - This just in, "everything is great up here at Ringwood, Ramapo and Jungle Hab.... dry conditions all around."

Kittatinny Valley Good (10-12) - Should be great right now.

Mercer County Park Good (10-17) - "Rode Mercer on Wednesday (10/17) and the trail conditions were good. I rode both the red and blue trails entirely and they were almost perfect, only a few spots that are wet but it is the areas that are always wet. Rode some of the Dam side and it was dry also and the rain last week helped with the sandy spots. Overall, conditions at Mercer don't get much better."

Lewis Morris Good (10-16) - "I was at Lewis Morris on Tuesday of this week. It was my first time there and I did about 10 miles. I didn't have a map with me so I know I didn't hit all the interior trails (Orange, Teal), but the rest of the trails were in perfect condition - no really dry spots, not wet spots. There were some leaves on some of the trails, but not much. If we get any rain by then more leaves might fall and it might be a bit slippery in spots. At this moment I don't know what the weather forcast is for the next few days."

Mahlon Dickerson Good (10-18) - "Mahlon is in primo shape right now. it's dry enough without being too dry. leaves are down en mass. right now is a great time to be on the trails."

Ringwood/Ramapo Good (10-17) - "From Skyline, short ride down the Cannonball diversionary switchback route, around the lake and up the Yellow. Conditions were ideal." And then I was sent this, "everything is great up here at Ringwood, Ramapo and Jungle Hab.... dry conditions all around."

Round Valley Good (10-17) - I'll let the reports speak for themselves: "Round Valley: leaves started to fall and are covering the trail nicely, which makes for some surprises here and there. Other than that someone took a generous dump right in the middle of the trail (unless bears learned to use TP, and even then I bet they'd use less). Great conditions otherwise." Then another, "good, stormed the day before, but the trails were in great shape considering. gravel areas are getting deeper run-off trenches, but like i said before, i enjoy that....makes the gravel sections a little less boring. The top turn of the switchbacks has been rutted out for many months now, and unfortunately it is starting to happen to the second turn from the top, but it's from water run-off, inevitable."

Six Mile Good (10-14) - Comments left from last week as, "Rode 6 mile yesterday and it is looking good, even with the rain last week. I would say an average rating because there are a few wet spots but the normal bog areas we still hard pack. The water crossing is just high enough that you cannot walk across, I did not ride the water crossing because I didn't feel like riding with 45 degree wet feet. Overall everything was good."

Sourlands Good (10-3) - probably decent though there are some poor draining areas.

Tourne Good (10-15) - "Very good. Recent TM holding up well."

Wawayanda Good (10/16) - I've added 2 new contacts who ride this park so we have 2 comments this week: "Dry throughout the park. Even the Jeep roads where general water build up occurs it is dry as can be. I was out on the trails this morning and blew out my new lefty fork." Plus, "Wawayanda trails are dry and in great shape. However, quite a few leaves have fallen already.....so beware of the now hidden roots and rocks."

Wildcat WMA Good (10-17) - "Splitrock is the same as Skyline... so give it a thumps up/cool guy icon. I was there 3 weeks ago and it was stellar. Skyline was stellar the other day."

Last edited:

Frank

Sasquatch
"From the desk of the big hairy 29er rider"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I must have worn a hat that day.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Ringwood/Ramapo - (10/17) From Skyline, short ride down the Cannonball diversionary switchback route, around the lake and up the Yellow. Conditions were ideal.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ringwood/Ramapo - (10/17) From Skyline, short ride down the Cannonball diversionary switchback route, around the lake and up the Yellow. Conditions were ideal.

Updated! I guess I forgot to send you that PM this week. Sorry I'm just tapped on time these days. And all of the sudden this week sleep is impossible to come by. I know, I'm sure one of you guys could pass me the world's smallest violin...

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
hey Norm, get with it. ;) . I sent you report too.

well. I think everyone knows that things are looking fantastic this week up here at Ringwood reported 10/17. Get out and ride while summers lingers.:)

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
hey Norm, get with it. ;) . I sent you report too.

well. I think everyone knows that things are looking fantastic this week up here at Ringwood reported 10/17. Get out and ride while summers lingers.:)

You know, I don't know what it is but some people's emails just get eaten in Yahoo Mail recently. Steve tried 3 times yesterday to send me something and had to just send it to my work account. Sean's emails seem to get eaten as well. My guess is that the Spam Filter is catching some of these emails. Kind of ironic since I set up the email group on Yahoo Groups.

Sorry about that, technical difficulties, and such.

Lewis Morris

Norm - I was at Lewis Morris on Tuesday of this week. It was my first time there and I did about 10 miles. I didn't have a map with me so I know I didn't hit all the interior trails (Orange, Teal), but the rest of the trails were in perfect condition - no really dry spots, not wet spots.

There were some leaves on some of the trails, but not much. If we get any rain by then more leaves might fall and it might be a bit slippery in spots. At this moment I don't know what the weather forcast is for the next few days.

The riding anywhere is really fantastic these days with the mild conditions and still a lot of green leaves with the colors just beginning to blossom.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Norm - I was at Lewis Morris on Tuesday of this week. It was my first time there and I did about 10 miles. I didn't have a map with me so I know I didn't hit all the interior trails (Orange, Teal), but the rest of the trails were in perfect condition - no really dry spots, not wet spots.

There were some leaves on some of the trails, but not much. If we get any rain by then more leaves might fall and it might be a bit slippery in spots. At this moment I don't know what the weather forcast is for the next few days.

The riding anywhere is really fantastic these days with the mild conditions and still a lot of green leaves with the colors just beginning to blossom.

Thanks Rosy, post updated. I agree right now is the perfect time for riding. I'd love to be out riding Saturday but some of my goofy friends are making me go to a picnic :D

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Updated! I guess I forgot to send you that PM this week. Sorry I'm just tapped on time these days. And all of the sudden this week sleep is impossible to come by. I know, I'm sure one of you guys could pass me the world's smallest violin...

Pretty sure next week's rides are at KVSP (Sat.) and Six Mile (Sun.) but I'll check again and post to confirm next week.

J-Dro

Had a chance to check out 6 Mile Run on Saturday night. Even after the rain on Friday the trails are in great shape. Very few puddles in the usual spots. Come on out.

Top Bottom