Races

Ringwood Fall Classic (Sun) - MTB H2H series finale at Ringwood

Group Rides

Phatbiker at Allamuchy - Saturday, Waterloo, 8:30 am
Jungle Habitat - Saturday, 9:30 am
Legal Night Riding at Mahlon - Saturday, Saffin Pond, 5:30 or 6:30 pm
The Great Wazu's Deer Park Ride - Sunday, Deer Park

Trail Maintenance

Check the JORBA calendar...(sorry low on time this week)

Weekly Trail Conditions Report

Lots of rain folks. So trail conditions up and down the state are iffy. Reports very incomplete at this point. May be time to break out the road bike for a day while some of the trails dry out Saturday.

Allaire Good (10-10) - one of the parks that does better with a little rain. So unlike last week, this is probably one of the best riding parks in the state. As Franks says, "The rain has come and packed the trails down again. Allaire is fast and the dust is gone....yeeehaaa. No real puddles to speak of Allaire drains well."

Allamuchy West/Tranquility Good (10-3) - No updates. Expect some wet spots but this side drains better than Waterloo IME.

Allamuchy East/Waterloo Good (10-3) - No updates. I find this side can get a bit wet with the rain.

Allamuchy Deer Park/Stephens Good (10-3) - No reports from last week.

Chimney Rock Average (10-12) - I rode CR Saturday and conditions were fine if not still a bit dusty. But that was before this rain. Downgraded to average based on rain plus my experience here. Probably best to wait until Sunday at least.

Hartshorne & Huber Average (9-21) - No updates again this week. Like Allaire this park needed the rain so it may be in decent/good shape now but I don't know.

Jungle Habitat Good (10-10) - From the JORBA man himself, "jungle hab is starting to get a bit muddy, and probably not good to ride until this rain ends, and then maybe 12-24 after the rain is done." I find it hard to believe he's an XL. I feel that the baggier your shirt the sloppier/fatter you appear. This has nothing to do with trail conditions but I need to put some Easter Eggs in here to keep people reading.

Kittatinny Valley Good (10-12) - Held at good but with a caveat. Reported as having gotten "2 1/2 inches of rain. Park drains well though some areas stay soft and wet longer than others." In other words, give it 12-24 after the rain ends.

Mercer County Park Unknown (10-12) - On Wednesday I got this report. "Rode Wednesday, the rain earlier in the week helped and most of the trials are perfect and fast. Some muddy spots in the usual areas. Depending on how much rain we get Thur and Fri, conditions could go downhill quickly." Given Mercer's draining history this place is unknown right now.

Lewis Morris Good (9-23) - No reports recently but given this park drains well it will probably be good to go by Saturday morning.

Mahlon Dickerson Good (10-3) - No updates. A decent draining park with some usual wet spots.

Ringwood/Ramapo Good (10-10) - Lots of rain up here this week. On Wednesday: "Rode Ringwood yesterday 10/10. Conditions good. Trails no longer dusty and well established trails had firmed up". Mergs says, "ringwood and ramapo will drain better and faster but again they should be avoided until the rain ends, and perhaps given a 12 hour break after the rain stops."

Round Valley Good (9-18) - No updates recently, though this park drains well. It really only needs a few hours after the rain stops unless it's really wet.

Six Mile Unknown (9-26) - Entirely unknown. Rain and Six Mile don't mix so Wednesday may have been the last good time to ride here until the winter freeze.

Sourlands Good (10-3) - probably decent though there are some poor draining areas.

Tourne Unknown (10-2) - No report. I know nothing of how this park drains.

Wawayanda Unknown (9-25) - Also unknown.

Wildcat WMA Unknown (9-30) - Rounding out the unknown parks.

Last edited:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
OK this week is a little more messy than usual. If anyone has additional info please post it up!

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
Should I PM you each week to get your group ride details on like a Wednesday then I can make a calendar entry on that?

If you PM me next Wednesday I could give you every weekend's rides from the present 'til the first week of December, but let's just go week to week for now.

Next week, btw, is Wawayanda - Saturday and Minnewaska - Sunday (a casual, see-the-foliage, bring-the-family ride).

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you PM me next Wednesday I could give you every weekend's rides from the present 'til the first week of December, but let's just go week to week for now.

Next week, btw, is Wawayanda - Saturday and Minnewaska - Sunday (a casual, see-the-foliage, bring-the-family ride).

Nooooooooo! Next Saturday is Lewis Morris, with the other 99 people on this site going to the picnic. How can you resist the massive party in Morristown?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
the tourne is one of the better draining parks around...prolly better than LM. with the exception of a few low spots on the white trail, which are usually wet anyway, the park should be more than rideable by tomorrow.

Engignar

I rode Ramapo today (10/12). Was not nearly as muddy as I expected, especially the lower portions of cannonball towards 287 where the mud usually sticks around for weeks after wet weather. There is some standing water in some places but it is avoidable. A lot of leaves came down, but otherwise the trail has packed up nicely. Should be perfect as the weekend continues.

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
Mcps

This Saturday at Tatum from 9am to 12 noon is the trail training session.(meet at the Holland activity center) If you want to attend trail maintenance days for Monmouth County Parks System you need to attend this course. It will cover you and the parks should you get hurt while working, as well as giving you good info on how the Park System works the trails. Conditions at Hartshorne and Huber are still below average, and the deluge aver the last few days has not helped.

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Tourne was good yesterday (Friday) - no mud, leaves are packed. lots of branches spoke pokers from the wind. Spent 20% of my time moving debris. New reroute up 711 is great.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Trail Maintenance

Check the JORBA calendar...(sorry low on time this week)

TM at chimney Rock Sunday @10am. Meet in the Newmans lane parking lot.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for all the updates guys.

Note the Chimney Rock TM tomorrow. Not the big effort some of us have talked about but work needed regardless.

Monteverest: Neat idea. I'll have to think about how to do that. Not sure it offers us anything better than post/calendar/reply but I'll think about it. Any thoughts on how that could work?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
deer park was good today. a few wet spots on the white trail but nothing really bad. all in all, a-ok.

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
The JH trails were in great shape today. Not much debris considering Friday's high winds. One large blow-down on Wart Hog though, near the top lot.

Sircrashalot

Six Mile GREAT- No Mud

Rode Six Mile this morning - as far as Middlebush from 27 its GREAT conditions. Limited time so didnt get past there.

NO mud, NO standing water, packed and fast. I think if anything the rain washed leaves off of the trails. Still some leafy spots but overall great fast riding!:D

Phantom skidder had been through just ahead of me though- fresh long deep skids all over the place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom