The weekend (2/28 - 3/1)

rlb

Where is the place to be? I need some time on the bike...or I will go crazy! Haven't put my feet on the pedals in too many weeks.

The forecast for central NJ (Newark) has changed from "crap" to "glimmer of hope" since there is only showers forecast for Friday (all week the forecast was showing steady rain). Lets hope that blows over and leaves us w/ some dry trails.

I'm guessing Six Mile is no go, 50 degrees will = mud. That's the only place I know my way around :mad:

Other suggestions, assuming the rain on Friday is minimal?

Frank

Sasquatch
I predict that there will be soft trails no matter where you go. Allaire is good now if you go when it's cold. If it warms it will be a slopfest again:(. Looks like you picked the wrong weekend to quit road riding.;)

John Baumann

I've been getting some time in on the road bike but it just aint the same. Saturday will be nice but my schedule is tight. I was thinkin' Round Valley on Sunday mid morning, weather permitting, for some long hard(slow) climbs.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was thinkin' Round Valley on Sunday mid morning, weather permitting, for some long hard(slow) climbs.

This will be the best place to ride this weekend. The 1st mile so so might be sloppy but the climbs will be dry.

joeschaar

I'm remaining hopeful for Lewis Morris or Kit. st. park. They dry out well enough. I suspect that deer park (allamuchy) will still be too wet.

rlb

Looks like you picked the wrong weekend to quit road riding.;)

Or the right weekend to start? No road bike here, and I've been too lazy to get some "street" tires for the mtb. I need a bigger stable!

Ian F

I'll probably ride at Wissahickon one or both days... probably staying on the down-stream-of-the-Inn side. I rode the upstream side last w/e and while the side of the valley out of the sun was ok, the sunny side was mucky... Mainly the IMBA "updated" trail sections... I've been riding these trails for years... and somebody did a great job of making trails - that while a bit rough in places, drained very well - into greasy chutes... I tried talking a guy I ran into at the trail head when I finished to go the other way, but he ignored me... idiot. :mad:

Brian Snyder

JORBA "Roaming Gnome"
JORBA.ORG
Hartshorn and Huber will be in piss poor shape when it thaws (like most spots, even Allaire) but, unfortunately, that will not stop those who just don't get it.

hxmiller

Mahlon early is usually frozen

Mahlon at 7 AM is usually frozen. Last Sunday that were still a few patches of snow. Mahlon drys fairly well. The only wet spots have been on the fire road and the bottom of devils staircase.

bikeboy566

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I rode alliare today at 10:30 and it was ok in sections, down by the river is greasy and muddy, the restt of the park seamed fine( i didnt cross the street) Im heading out to Rays mtb park this weekend :)

BiknBen

any idea on how allaire might be tomorrow morning early?

Really difficult to tell unless you wanna go out there and take some soil samples. There may be a lot of moisture in the ground that has been frozen. The daily freeze/thaw cycles in the last week may have hindered the draining or evaporation.

It was accpetable earlier in the week when temps were around freezing. I big thaw today and above freezing temps tonight may change that. The low temp tonight will be 40F. It's not gonna firm up due to cold.

Be sure to come back here and tell us how it was. ;)

Frank

Sasquatch
Really difficult to tell unless you wanna go out there and take some soil samples. There may be a lot of moisture in the ground that has been frozen. The daily freeze/thaw cycles in the last week may have hindered the draining or evaporation.

It was accpetable earlier in the week when temps were around freezing. I big thaw today and above freezing temps tonight may change that. The low temp tonight will be 40F. It's not gonna firm up due to cold.

exactly!!!

Frank

Sasquatch
poor MIG

I feel your pain...I built the Turner this time last year and hardly got to ride it.

Top Bottom